Options
2»

Replies

• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    What is a kaloche?

It's God's gift to the Czechoslovakian people, which they have graciously bestowed upon us.

It's also a fruit filled semi-sweet pastry. Some people put cream cheese, or meat in them. They don't understand that this is wrong, so I forgive them.

@JustChristy79 Breakfast taco and burrito are the same thing, just regional differences. In Texas, we usually call them tacos. Although, here in Texas, a breakfast taco doesn't have to have breakfast items in it, it just needs to be consumed for breakfast. I really like fajita meat in my breakfast tacos, or just bacon and potato (I don't like eggs).
  • dazlindiva630347
    dazlindiva630347 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Im from the UK and even after seeing the picture I still dont know what Kolaches are... haha
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Since you asked for advice, one think I like to do is preplan my days as much as I can (much easier to do during the week since I pack my lunch and have a general dinner plan). Then, I can look at my day and see if I can swap something out or pass on an extra snack if someone brings me something for breakfast. It can be nice knowing that things like that don't always have to be off limits.

I've definitely had to pass on some things that I've wanted though.
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    What is a kaloche?
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    What is a kaloche?

py62cyev3yjl.jpg
    Not always, here in the south (Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Louisiana, other states I visit nearby etc.) a kaloche is usually a piece of meat like sausage wrapped in what is basically an unglazed yeast doughnut. They are extremely good and fruit or cream cheese filled pastries are usually just called a danish around here :) and now I want one lol between this and the Krispy Kreme thread you guys are making me hungry! I'll resist though I have other goodies ;)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Not always in Texas, though kolache can be coopted to use for the sausage thing by some. The sweet ones would still be kolaches, not danish.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    Options
    momoharuno wrote: »
    Not always, here in the south (Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Louisiana, other states I visit nearby etc.) a kaloche is usually a piece of meat like sausage wrapped in what is basically an unglazed yeast doughnut. They are extremely good and fruit or cream cheese filled pastries are usually just called a danish around here :) and now I want one lol between this and the Krispy Kreme thread you guys are making me hungry! I'll resist though I have other goodies ;)

In areas with a high concentration of Czech immigrants, you will get the kolaches that were pictured.

As I mentioned in the donut thread, Caldwell's kolache festival is this weekend . I may just HAVE to make time to go, and grab some fresh kolaches. So freaking good.
  • MissAnderson31
    MissAnderson31 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand your pain! The moment you decide you are going to do better, eat better and just plain BE BETTER, then u have people that want to offer you this and that! The battle starts in our minds and if we can conqueror our minds then we are on our way!!!!

You have to be disciplined! You can't let your environment or the people around you sway your decision to improve your health and practice good nutrition skills. For me, planning my meals have been beneficial in my success because I'm more prone to make better decisions.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about everywhere else but in Lousiana and surrounding areas Kolaches are like a hotdog or sausage in a unglazed biscuit or roll.
  • emily_fox
    emily_fox Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    carla1522 wrote: »
    This morning, my boss asked me to go get breakfast tacos and kolaches for some of our staff. I chose to eat a banana instead of a kolache. I'm having the biggest mental struggle right now... the struggle is REAL!! But I've made a decision to change my lifestyle. And I will not falter from my decision. Cheers to all of you who have successfully changed your lifestyles. Any additional advice is much appreciated! #lordhelpme

I feel ya! I work in a doctor's office and we have food every day. Last week we had an ice cream social. I just kept telling myself that the "party pale" brand is awful (you know, the ice cream that comes in a bucket with a handle) That definitely helped me stay away. I'm constantly weighing pros and cons of whether or not I want to "waste" my calories on something.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    CELEBRATE your ability to make your own choices about what, how mich, and when you eat!!! I decided that I couldn't let other people dictate that for me. Isn't that how we all gained weight to begin with? Make good choices for YOUR life and keep it going!
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Im from the UK and even after seeing the picture I still dont know what Kolaches are... haha

the picture posted above is not a kolache to me. a kolache where i live is a sausage or ham with cheese inside a breaded exterior.

l_zpszsy3lvtc.jpg
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    I am not sure about everywhere else but in Lousiana and surrounding areas Kolaches are like a hotdog or sausage in a unglazed biscuit or roll.
    yes, here in south texas, too :smile:

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I would have had a kolache. Why? Because my lifestyle change = balanced diet + moderation + active life. Kolaches fit right in there. Having kolaches on Friday, in fact. Already looked up calorie count and decided which 2 I'll be having for breakfast.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    I've never heard of a breakfast taco. Is it like a breakfast burrito but not rolled up?
    a breakfast taco & breakfast burrito are interchanging terms here in south texas. they can also be called Taquitos, at Whataburger restaurants.

the sweet treats above, we call danishes.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    No one from South Texas who's been as far north as West would call that a kolache.

• VykkDraygoVPR
    Options
    the sweet treats above, we call danishes.
    Danishes are VERY different. So no, you would not call it a danish. At least, not if you've had a real kolache.

Please do note, I like sausage rolls as much as the next person, but they aren't kolache (even when wrapped in kolache dough). I don't know when the term was co-opted, but even cursory research will show you what a kolache is.

Wikipedia on Kolache.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    No one from South Texas who's been as far north as West would call that a kolache.
    yea, i googled kolache and posted the photo that came up ;)

• carla1522
    carla1522 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It gets easier!

It is hard. You may even slip or go through periods where you fail. Most people do.

But it can be done if you stay strong and really want to do it. And as time goes on, it really, REALLY does get easier.

One day, you'll be wondering why it was so hard. :)
    I definitely understand your pain! The moment you decide you are going to do better, eat better and just plain BE BETTER, then u have people that want to offer you this and that! The battle starts in our minds and if we can conqueror our minds then we are on our way!!!!

You have to be disciplined! You can't let your environment or the people around you sway your decision to improve your health and practice good nutrition skills. For me, planning my meals have been beneficial in my success because I'm more prone to make better decisions.
  • carla1522
    carla1522 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    What is a kaloche?

Signature Czech-American treat. They are so delicious. Here in Nebraska, those of Czech ancestry are usually tall and can handle the extra calories, but those of us smaller and of more western European ancestry can easily over indulge.