losing weight and gaining muscle????

Options
I started off at 244, down to 214 as of yesterday!!!! I want to get skinny like everyone else on here, but I don't wanna get scrawny. I know while I have so much extra fat on me I can eat at a deficit and gain some muscle. But at some point that won't be so. My question is at what point should I stop trying to lose weight and eat to gain muscle??? If I want to gain muscle is it stupid to diet down to a "ripped" size 1st??? Yes I have a long way to go, but I would like to have a plan going before I get there.

Replies

• chewbacakz
    chewbacakz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    And if I knew how I would post my before and after so far, sorry
  • GLJLA
    GLJLA Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's a good question. I'm curious about that too. I started off about the same as you at 245 myself. I'm down to 188 at the moment. I've been doing the 21 day fix workouts and can see muscle definition. But it would be nice to know at what point weight gain stops through deficit eating. I probably have 10-20lbs more to go before that's an issue though.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    As a general rule of thumb, it's advised to cut/diet down to a point where you have less than 15% body fat before actively trying to re-add muscle mass.

That said, I would start with a good solid weight lifting program now - even while cutting - if you're not already. Primarily because you want to encourage your body to maintain the muscle mass you currently have during the cut to the extent possible, but too, it will set you up for a good foundation when the time comes that you are ready to actively bulk.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'd go by body fat percentage. Diet down, while lifting, until you're happy with your weight or body fat, then start to add back calories and lift for hypertrophy. You will likely gain fat back, but you'll also gain muscle.

If you're new to lifting, you'll get some muscle gains on a deficit, but I think that evens out fairly soon in the process. Also, muscle definition doesn't always have to do with how much muscle you have, but how much fat you have. The less fat, the more muscle will show through.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    BTW: Congrats on the progress so far!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    As above. CUT, first. Preferably below 15% to see what you have and are working with. THEN, you can start bulking.

Of course continue to strength train and consume adequate protein during this period to retain as much muscle mass as possible while losing.
  • chewbacakz
    Options
    Oh wow, thanks for all the quick replies guys, and for the kind words.
    I have been running about 5 miles every other day or so, and have been working out here and there but have recently gotten a workout partner and started a more serious lifting program. I eat at a pretty large deficit but I make sure to get a good amount of protein. I substitute weigh shakes for a meal hoping that will help. I'm pretty new to this kinda lifestyle, been out of shape most of my adult life, and just ready to change. But I don't wanna be scrawny, lol
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The best way to build muscle is to lift and lift heavy and as a previous poster said start now. There are a ton of programmes out there and the one I follow is Stronglifts 5x5, where you work out three times a week and increase the weight each time you lift. Cardio is good but to burn fat more effectively resistance are key. Cleaning up your diet is also key. When I started on MFP three years ago I was a pound lighter than I am now but a dress size bigger. This is because I got to my goal weight pretty quickly by following certain exercise programmes then stopping. I ate less of of the rubbish I ate before then starting eating "normally" again. Inevitably it all piled on again.

At the beginning if this year I started incorporating lifting into my programme then really cleaned up my diet and ate more veg, protein and started juicing. Since doing this I am not only losing fat I am changing the shape of my body to be more athletic. What is making it work this time is my mindset and recognising that the scale is not the best way for me to record my progress but my clothes are. Also, I am more consistent with my exercises and love what I do and will make it part of my life no matter what is going on for me during any day.

So in a nutshell your muscles are more likely appear when you:
    Strength train
    Do some cardio
    Increase protein and veg in your diet
    Continue with carbs (they will fuel your workout)
    Eat less processed foods (I've learned that if your food has ingredients you can't pronounce or numbers in them they're processed)
    Think positively about your food and you'll enjoy it more.

All the best and feel free to add me.
  • chewbacakz
    Options
    GLJLA wrote: »
    That's a good question. I'm curious about that too. I started off about the same as you at 245 myself. I'm down to 188 at the moment. I've been doing the 21 day fix workouts and can see muscle definition. But it would be nice to know at what point weight gain stops through deficit eating. I probably have 10-20lbs more to go before that's an issue though.

Congrats on the loss man, that's incredible!!!! Can't wait to be where you are!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    As a general rule of thumb, it's advised to cut/diet down to a point where you have less than 15% body fat before actively trying to re-add muscle mass.

That said, I would start with a good solid weight lifting program now - even while cutting - if you're not already. Primarily because you want to encourage your body to maintain the muscle mass you currently have during the cut to the extent possible, but too, it will set you up for a good foundation when the time comes that you are ready to actively bulk.
    Why would you want to wait until you've lost a lot of weight? If you do, you'll have lost a lot of muscle you might have kept if you'd started weight lifting at the beginning.

It is harder to build new muscle than to maintain the muscle you already have. Being overweight, your body has built up extra muscle to move your weight around. If you start lifting right at the beginning of your weight loss, you'll maintain more of that muscle as you lose weight and more of your loss will be from fat. Start now.

• chewbacakz
    Options

Thank you for the solid advice, I have a lot of cutting left to do to get to 15% lol excited to get there though!!
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Why would you want to wait until you've lost a lot of weight? If you do, you'll have lost a lot of muscle you might have kept if you'd started weight lifting at the beginning.

It is harder to build new muscle than to maintain the muscle you already have. Being overweight, your body has built up extra muscle to move your weight around. If you start lifting right at the beginning of your weight loss, you'll maintain more of that muscle as you lose weight and more of your loss will be from fat. Start now.

Huh???

I specifically advised him to start lifting now to maintain as much muscle as possible. Not sure what your criticism is??

I said wait until you've lost weight (more specifically - body fat) before actively trying to add NEW muscle mass/bulk.
  • chewbacakz
    Options
    Graceious1 wrote: »
    The best way to build muscle is to lift and lift heavy and as a previous poster said start now. There are a ton of programmes out there and the one I follow is Stronglifts 5x5, where you work out three times a week and increase the weight each time you lift. Cardio is good but to burn fat more effectively resistance are key. Cleaning up your diet is also key. When I started on MFP three years ago I was a pound lighter than I am now but a dress size bigger. This is because I got to my goal weight pretty quickly by following certain exercise programmes then stopping. I ate less of of the rubbish I ate before then starting eating "normally" again. Inevitably it all piled on again.

At the beginning if this year I started incorporating lifting into my programme then really cleaned up my diet and ate more veg, protein and started juicing. Since doing this I am not only losing fat I am changing the shape of my body to be more athletic. What is making it work this time is my mindset and recognising that the scale is not the best way for me to record my progress but my clothes are. Also, I am more consistent with my exercises and love what I do and will make it part of my life no matter what is going on for me during any day.

Strength train
    Do some cardio
    Eat less processed foods (I've learned that if your food has ingredients you can't pronounce or numbers in them they're processed)

Diet is definitely important, and I have changed mime alot, I used to guzzle away dr.pepper all day long, and eat all sorts of junk food. Not now, I only drink water, well I have a coffee in the morning and in the evening, hahaha We also started eating alot of fish and chicken, and veggies and fruit. I also like alot of eggs though, but I'm trying hard to stay consistent with it. Feel free to check out my diary and give me some advice!!!!!!!
  • chewbacakz
    Options

It is harder to build new muscle than

I specifically advised him to start lifting now to maintain as much muscle as possible. Not sure what your criticism is??

I said wait until you've lost weight (more specifically - body fat) before actively trying to add NEW muscle mass/bulk.

That is what I got from you, thank you!!!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Huh???

Ha! I got caught in the "work interrupted my MFP post" syndrome. I read the first line, got interrupted and then started replying and never read the rest. Apologies!
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Huh???

Ha! I got caught in the "work interrupted my MFP post" syndrome. I read the first line, got interrupted and then started replying and never read the rest. Apologies!

No worries - I just wanted to make sure I actually said what I thought I said. Lord knows there's a disconnect between my brain and my typing fingers at times :)
  • GLJLA
    GLJLA Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    chewbacakz wrote: »

Congrats on the loss man, that's incredible!!!! Can't wait to be where you are!!!

You're doing great too.... Keep it up!
  • vollans
    vollans Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    That's a good question. I'm curious about that too. I started off about the same as you at 245 myself. I'm down to 188 at the moment.

Congratulations! I started at a similar point - 114kg / 250lbs and I'm down to 200lbs / 91kg today. BMI said I was 29.5, so just out of obese, and was aiming for 89.5kg to get me into normal.

But I went for a DEXA scan earlier this week that says BMI is junk for me, and I'm sitting at 25% fat already, and by the time I reach 89.5kg I would be sitting at around 15% fat! That scan has done wonders for my self confidence, and I can't wait for my next one to see the progress I've made. It also has shown me that my natural build is never going to be a 32" waist and beanpole. I also know that I don't have "fat pockets" sitting anywhere across my body, it seems the fat is nicely smeared across my body. Except my right arm. Apparently I have a fat right arm. ;)

So now I'm tempted to still aim for that 89.5kg, and see what I can achieve with that. I've got a great gym instructor who through the last 4 months has been working me hard not just at the cardio that I needed, but also the core stuff so as the fat is disappearing I'm starting to see and feel muscles already. Which is something I never thought I'd have.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You are eating 1k calories approximately. Say goodbye to lean muscle mass. You need to start lifting heavy and add more protein to your diet.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    chewbacakz wrote: »
    Graceious1 wrote: »

Strength train
    Do some cardio

Diet is definitely important, and I have changed mime alot, I used to guzzle away dr.pepper all day long, and eat all sorts of junk food. Not now, I only drink water, well I have a coffee in the morning and in the evening, hahaha We also started eating alot of fish and chicken, and veggies and fruit. I also like alot of eggs though, but I'm trying hard to stay consistent with it. Feel free to check out my diary and give me some advice!!!!!!!

Your daily calorie intake is too low and your protein intake is really low for what you are trying to do. As others have mentioned it is easier to maintain the muscle you have and cut the fat than it is to rebuild the muscle. With your current intake, you are losing muscle!

Consider reevaluating your intake and start a regular lifting program. Great loss so far, but more than you would like of that is muscle due to the larger than needed calorie deficit.