Eating all added exercise calories????

Options
I need some advice about whether I should eat my additional calories when I exercise. Is there a negative side to not eating them? Sometimes I wonder if I'm eating too few calories when I've been given a load extra. I'm new to MFP and Fitbit-does anyone have any advice or experience with this. Thanks, Ruth

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Eat back 50-75% just to allow for any inaccuracies as the estimations aren't entirely accurate.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    v18pemwaqc3l.jpg
    ^There is my personal comparison for you. This is the data from the point where I tightened up my logging to today. I eat all the calories I get from my Fitbit.

edit: Oh and so, if you don't eat them back, you could end up creating a deficit that is too large. Too large of a deficit increases the amount of muscle mass you lose which can result in a skinny but squishy look. It can also end up leaving you fatigued after a few weeks. That's not saying that you have to eat them all back. Some people are more comfortable leaving 50% or so on the table to account for errors. You also may need to adjust up or down based on your average rate of loss in 4 weeks.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Unless we're talking a huge percentage of your calorie budget, I'd recommend not eat back at first, and then tweeking it upwards if you consistently are losing too fast or if you consistently feel rundown. But it all comes down to what works for you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I generally recommend eating them for four weeks and then evaluating whether to eat fewer. When I come across a post by somebody who seems freaked out about eating them, I recommend eating 50% for four weeks and then evaluating. Bottom line, pick to eat/not eat/eat a portion for several weeks and then adjust up or down accordingly.
  • forruths
    forruths Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice folks.