Following the boring old Gov-endorsed healthy diet pyramid and loving it!

Options
2»

Replies

• qubetha
    qubetha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    xtrain321 wrote: »
    I went to a Registered Dietitian years ago and she wrote a food plan for me that closely resembled the US food pyramid (with grains as the base but also lots of fruits and veggies). It changed my life. I ate more, lost weight, felt great, and had tons of energy. I still follow the program to this day, and I haven't experienced the weight gain that many other women in their 40's do. I know all the criticisms of bread and grains, but for me it just works. I'm very active and perform better with the carbs than without them. It is really interesting seeing the differences in the Australia version. Thanks for sharing it!

Yes I think theopolisabroiselll's comment that it is the "feed lot pyramid" is a bit extreme and unwarranted. You can still construct an amazingly wholesome and effective weight loss regime based on even the U.S. Diet pyramid! The key is the portion control and CICO.....any diet that encourages diversity (in whatever proportions) is still going to be healthy :-)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I think one of the reasons for the US pyramid is cost and different needs when the population was more active.

I suspect my grandfather (who was a farmer) ate a lot more grains and starches than I do, but he was also far more active in daily life and needed a good source for the calories that he needed.

Since getting enough calories isn't an issue for me at all, it makes more sense to focus on vegetables and (to a lesser degree) fruit as a base, and then proteins as well as starches.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Eminently sensible! Canada uses a rainbow and UK the divided plate. I always found it easier to visualize a plate. Funny enough, the U.S. has switched to the plate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The plate probably makes more sense. I grew up with the pyramid concept so it makes sense to me, though. Well, except no one really knows what a serving is--visualizing food on a plate makes that part easier for kids, I imagine.
  • qubetha
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The plate probably makes more sense. I grew up with the pyramid concept so it makes sense to me, though. Well, except no one really knows what a serving is--visualizing food on a plate makes that part easier for kids, I imagine.

I know! I had to really dig to find definitions for all the portion sizes....you would think that would be far more prominent information!

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    ...visualizing food on a plate makes that part easier for kids, I imagine.

Children and grandmas!
  • qubetha
    Options
    They should make a colored portioned plate for kids to help them learn :-) I would have loved that as a kid. I was a bit obsessed with sorting things into groups lol.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think one of the reasons for the US pyramid is cost and different needs when the population was more active.

I suspect my grandfather (who was a farmer) ate a lot more grains and starches than I do, but he was also far more active in daily life and needed a good source for the calories that he needed.

Since getting enough calories isn't an issue for me at all, it makes more sense to focus on vegetables and (to a lesser degree) fruit as a base, and then proteins as well as starches.

That is a really good point.

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    qubetha wrote: »
    They should make a colored portioned plate for kids to help them learn :-) I would have loved that as a kid. I was a bit obsessed with sorting things into groups lol.

http://www.nestle.com.au/nhw/nestle-portion-plates

Ask and you shall receive...

They used to send them for free but I don't know if they do anymore (in Aus only).

Portions is the issue I had with old pyramid.