What would you do with these ingredients???

Options
pamperedlinny
pamperedlinny Posts: 1,558 Member
I got the kitchen sink bag from my local CSA yesterday (as well as a regular bag) and now have way too much food. If you had plenty of these items and a husband that only eats chicken, bacon and ground beef for protein what would you make?
I think there's some more but honestly can't remember it all right now.

Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Tomatoes
Cilantro
Pea Shoots
Bibb Lettuce
Kale
Spinach
Spaghetti Squash
Zucchini
Yellow squash
Cucumber
Carrots
Red Cabbage
Onions
Green Pepper
Grapes (Moon Drop & Cotton Candy)
Peaches
Apples
Jalapeños
Watermelon

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I would probably spend the time prepping and freezing (I use my vacuum sealer) the things like peaches, apples, zucchini, etc. You can also make soups and stews with the potatoes, cabbage, kale, carrots, etc and freeze those for cooler days ahead. Tomatoes can be canned or frozen. For dinner tonight? Maybe a nice quiona salad with cucumber and tomato along with grilled burgers and watermelon for dessert.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    tell hubby to make his own meals....sounds like you've got the makings of some amazing salads, fruit salad, smoothies galore, soups, yummy casseroles, etc.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Wow that is a huge amount of food from your CSA. I haven't joined one, but when I have looked into them, most of the ones around here would provide about 1/3 of that list in a single delivery.

Were you saying that your husband wouldn't eat much of this, or just that you needed sides to compliment his choices of protein?

I would make a nice mixed green salad with the lettuces, pea shoots, cucumber, tomato, etc.

I would dice the zucchini, squash, and carrots and make something like this:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/primavera-orzo-recipe.html

I would cut the potatoes and sweet potatoes into rounds and grill them with a bit of olive oil.

I would make jalapeno-cilantro sauce as a burger topping:
    http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/pepper-jack-cheeseburgers-with-jalapeno-cumin-sauce

I would grill the peaches and drizzle them with honey or sprinkle brown sugar on them, serve them with vanilla ice cream.

Watermelon salad with feta and mint.

Apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream.

Grapes for a snack.

Might have missed some - but you get the gist...

• pamperedlinny
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Wow that is a huge amount of food from your CSA. I haven't joined one, but when I have looked into them, most of the ones around here would provide about 1/3 of that list in a single delivery.

Were you saying that your husband wouldn't eat much of this, or just that you needed sides to compliment his choices of protein?

He's only picky about meat. He'd be willing to eat any of the fruits & veggies I bring home. That's a good thing too! I enjoy cooking but don't always have the time. Big fan of my pressure cooker and/or crock pot here. LOL
  • pamperedlinny
    Options
    The jalapeño cilantro sauce sounds awesome! I'm going to have to give that a closer look.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The jalapeño cilantro sauce sounds awesome! I'm going to have to give that a closer look.

I actually just made that the other night, with ground chicken sliders and pepperjack cheese. It was really yummy.

• pamperedlinny
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I actually just made that the other night, with ground chicken sliders and pepperjack cheese. It was really yummy.

Mmm. I bet on the chicken it was good too. Definitely going to give it a try while I have fresh peppers in the house.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

Potatoes-Boiled and mashed with chives or parsley and garlic, cut up and roasted with some of the other veg seasoned with rosemary and garlic, baked.

Sweet potatoes-Same as for potatoes

Tomatoes-Salads, roasted with other veg over pasta, Tomato sandwiches, Salads, fresh salsa

Cilantro-I would probably chop and dry this and save for seasoning, fresh salsa

Pea Shoots-raw snacks, stir fry, steamed, roasted

Bibb Lettuce-Salads, sandwiches

Kale-Salads, stir fry, baked kale chips

Spinach-salads, steamed

Spaghetti Squash-Baked seasoned with salt and pepper

Zucchini-Steamed, boiled, roasted, zucchini boats, zucchini bread, lightly breaded and fried

Yellow squash-Same as zucchini

Cucumber-Sandwiches, salads, cut up for snacks

Carrots-Salads, snacking, roasted, boiled, candied (brown sugar and cinnamon)

Red Cabbage-Slaw, stir fry, soups

Onions-Stir fry, soups, salads, saute with butter over steak

Green Pepper-Salads, stir fry, stuffed, spaghetti sauce, soups

Grapes (Moon Drop & Cotton Candy)-Snacking

Peaches-Snacking, cut up over vanilla ice cream, yogurt or in cereal

Apples-Snacking, diced in salads, home made apple sauce

Jalapeños-Fresh salsa

Watermelon-Snacking.

• Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Go to SuperCook.com and enter all these in, plus whatever else you have in your kitchen. It will give you recipe ideas based on those ingredients. You can also choose an ingredient to highlight and it will give you recipes with that specific ingredient AND whatever else you have.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    some i would freeze to make fruit and green smoothies later.
    i would use some of the veggies in a cheese omelet, mixed them into some quinoa, use them in stir-fry or sauted them up and put them on top of chicken breast.

Since i have yet to find or try cotton candy grapes, i would hide them or just gobble them all up before my grape loving husband sees them!! gonna have to look into this CSA thing..
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Wow, you've already got some great ideas!
    I see all the ingredients for a lovely pico-de-gallo.
    Potatoes, squashes, zucchini, etc. freeze well. Chop and freeze for later use in your soups, casseroles, omelets, etc.
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    Options
    Stir fry. Only way I'll eat my veggies. ;)
  • caaaath
    caaaath Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Chicken, sweet potato and spinach curry (also using the onions, tomatoes and coriander as we call cilantro in the UK) yummy :)
  • pamperedlinny
    Options
    Last night I used the spaghetti squash with tomato, spinach and garlic in olive oil. That was really yummy.
  • pamperedlinny
    Options
    Justifier wrote: »
    Go to SuperCook.com and enter all these in, plus whatever else you have in your kitchen. It will give you recipe ideas based on those ingredients. You can also choose an ingredient to highlight and it will give you recipes with that specific ingredient AND whatever else you have.

I didn't know about this site! That's great. I used to use myfridgefood.com for the same thing but after they updated the site I can't get it to work all the time.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I would use a bunch of the veggies to make mixed pickles or giardiniera that you can eat all winter. Apple pie, watermelon granita, sweet potato oven fries, braised red cabbage with apples and bacon, salsa, beefy vegetable soup.
  • pamperedlinny
    Options
    Yum. All of that sounds good. I'm still working on going through the bag and I know I have another bag to pick up on Tuesday. I surely love my CSA and fresh produce.

I ordered a Veggetti Pro. I think I might be making some noodles out of the zucchini, squash and carrots too.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Ground beef
    Potatoes
    Tomatoes
    Cilantro
    Garlic
    Onions
    Jalapeños
    Green pepper

Mix these ingredients with cumin, chili powder, red pepper flake, and any spices you desire for a sort of Mexican Chili, a one pot meal. Serve with cilantro & lime zest scented rice.

Other ideas:
    • Marinated & grilled chicken, zucchini and yellow squash with crispy kale chips and roasted sweet potatoes
    • Spinach, Red cabbage, and Bibb lettuce salad with mixed veggies, crumbled bacon, bleu cheese, and bleu cheese dressing
    • Bánh mì Vietnamese sandwiches (cilantro, cucumber, pickled carrots, radish, jalapeno, grilled marinated chicken, etc.)
    Grapes
    Peaches
    Apples
    Watermelon
    • Fruit salad
    • Apple pie
    • Peach cobbler
    • Watermelon, peach, berry, and citrus Aguas Frescas