First day need help!

Options
i input my calorie information into the app for my first time. Ive already gone over my calorie limit for the day and its only 3pm. What do i do? Do i have dinner or skip?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Eat a healthy dinner. Log it. Then look at your log and see where you can adjust tomorrow.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The first week or so I just input what I was eating to see where I was at with calories and food choices. Then I started looking where I could tighten things up and make better choices to fit my calorie goal. By all means have something for dinner tonight, log it and move on to tomorrow. Logging and weighing your food has a bit of a learning curve. After you get the hang of it you may find it easier to prelog your day, then you know you have enough calories set aside for meals and snacks to make it through the day. Best wishes.
  • emma_vdv
    emma_vdv Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It'll take time to be more aware of how many calories/fat/carbs etc are in your everyday foods. Don't worry about it, just use the data to make adjustments to your favourite recipes, learn which things you can only have on cheat days etc. The main thing is if you stick with it, it will generate results. It takes patience is all :)
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I went over every day in the first week.
    Log it and look at what you can change.
    You will find tomorrow easier.
  • Billy213
    Billy213 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Maybe try and plan what meals you're going to have for the few days ahead. That way you don't get any nasty surprises and can adjust it in advanced.
  • Dan_Runs_In_Sandals
    Options
    I agree, you definitely should eat a healthy dinner and make sure you track it. I've been tracking for over three weeks now and I have gone way over my calorie goal many times, although my overall weight remains the same. I now have enough data to look back and see where my biggest problem areas are (like beer, butter, fried chicken) and to come up with a plan to address them.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The first week or so I just input what I was eating to see where I was at with calories and food choices. Then I started looking where I could tighten things up and make better choices to fit my calorie goal. By all means have something for dinner tonight, log it and move on to tomorrow. Logging and weighing your food has a bit of a learning curve. After you get the hang of it you may find it easier to prelog your day, then you know you have enough calories set aside for meals and snacks to make it through the day. Best wishes.

This is good advice.

You don't have to go all gung ho your first day. :smile: A lot of what this site about is just being mindful of what you're eating and it takes some time to get it down. The thing I love about MFP is that you don't need to change the way you eat, you just need to eat less and you will lose weight.

For the first week, just get used to logging everything you're eating and drinking, everything down to vitamins and gum. It's a bit tedious as first but as you build your diary you'll find you're using the same entries fairly often and it gets a lot easier. For right now, just log it all and at the end of the day look back over it and see where you could have made changes to make it better. There are probably things with a lot of calories you could have swapped out for something with less calories or more nutrients. The next day, try to incorporate those changes and do a little better. After a week or so you should have a good idea of what you can eat and still stay near your calorie goal.

If you don't have a kitchen scale, buy one and use it weigh as much of your food as possible. Even things like peanut butter and salad dressings have serving sizes listed in grams on the package. I'm betting you'll be very surprised at how little some serving sizes really are. I know I was.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Either skip dinner or exceed your calories today. I think it's not a bad idea idea to eat as you normally would for a week, just to see how it all adds up and then begin making adjustments. But it's not a bad idea to jump in and stick with the program, either. Whatever you want! :)

Add some fruits and veggies tomorrow or the next day. They make it easier to stick to calorie goals and remain full.

It's about time for Honeycrisp apples to be in season again. YUM!!
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots a lot of fibre and little calories 11 carpet equal 35 calories and they are tasty
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Plan to eat a light healthy meal for supper. Part of the trick is planning ahead and learning what works for you.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

^^This exactly.