Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    Kexessa wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    $2 a day, for 3 meals per day, for a span of 10 days is not realistic when it comes to having a rational diet.

Suggestion: look into a more reasonable plan.

Unfortunately I agree with this. It's not realistic. That works out to 66 cents a meal. Any chance you could hit a local food bank and use your $20 to fill in the gaps?

I think many many people have told her, very realistic ideas , including me, that live that reality

Awesome if she could get some items from her local food bank , but words like unrealistic and impossible doesn't apply in op vocabulary when clearly $20.00 it's all she got.

Yes I would very much like to eat and have amazing food like you see in the "show me what your meals look like and what you're having for dinner today" but no ,I get rice, chicken, frozen veggies and oatmeal every single day... You don't seat and cry of how unrealistic life it is, you just do what you have to do.

Just to show you how unrealistic that plan is (although some people probably do this...)

$20 in dollar menu fast food burgers or chicken sandwiches with the works (you can add certain veggies on them for no charge). I've even gotten away with free extra patties in the past.

Two sandwiches per day... 10 day span. If you take a multivitamin and drink plenty of water, that might work, though not ideal. BOGO coupons could even stretch it to 3 sandwiches for a few of those days.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Membership to a dating site. Get a bunch of guys to buy you dinner.

Kidding. Kind of.

Way to think outside the supermarket!

• kshama2001
    Options
    There are some good suggestions above. With that budget I would also look for creative solutions. For example, around our university, some of the churches have free student supper nights, that you can just drop in to. Also, I would consider hitting the local food bank, the $20 would go a lot further if it was just being used for fruit, veg or meat to supplement a basic supply. Beyond that, I would be digging through the cupboard. What's in there? Flour? Sugar? Pasta? If you have a few things in the pantry, you might be able to get creative.

Cosigns the suggestion for looking for free food.

What do you have in your pantry? Obviously yours isn't stocked like mine or you wouldn't be asking, but I could easily go two weeks on what's in my pantry, frig, and freezer.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    $20 can buy many peanuts.
  • LadyLallybroch
    LadyLallybroch Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    $2 a day, for 3 meals per day, for a span of 10 days is not realistic when it comes to having a rational diet.

Unfortunately I agree with this. It's not realistic. That works out to 66 cents a meal. Any chance you could hit a local food bank and use your $20 to fill in the gaps?

I think many many people have told her, very realistic ideas , including me, that live that reality

Awesome if she could get some items from her local food bank , but words like unrealistic and impossible doesn't apply in op vocabulary when clearly $20.00 it's all she got.

Yes I would very much like to eat and have amazing food like you see in the "show me what your meals look like and what you're having for dinner today" but no ,I get rice, chicken, frozen veggies and oatmeal every single day... You don't seat and cry of how unrealistic life it is, you just do what you have to do.

Just to show you how unrealistic that plan is (although some people probably do this...)

$20 in dollar menu fast food burgers or chicken sandwiches with the works (you can add certain veggies on them for no charge). I've even gotten away with free extra patties in the past.

Two sandwiches per day... 10 day span. If you take a multivitamin and drink plenty of water, that might work, though not ideal. BOGO coupons could even stretch it to 3 sandwiches for a few of those days.

I don't understand your point here... Yea, maybe she can't eat out, but she has to eat.

She has $20. That is realistic because IT IS REALITY. It is BY DEFINITION realistic.

And definitely possible for her to find enough to eat with the $20 she has. Rice, beans, frozen chicken, and some carefully selected fresh or frozen veggies will see her though until her next paycheck.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    What people see as not realistic is getting three meals per day for seven days for $0.95 each. ($20/21 meals.)
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options

I don't understand your point here... Yea, maybe she can't eat out, but she has to eat.

She has $20. That is realistic because IT IS REALITY. It is BY DEFINITION realistic.

And definitely possible for her to find enough to eat with the $20 she has. Rice, beans, frozen chicken, and some carefully selected fresh or frozen veggies will see her though until her next paycheck.

My point is that it's doable in that particular scenario, but not ideal or realistic in the slightest.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options

so wait you're saying that the only this could work, is basically fast food value mane + multivitamin.? #facepalm

OK, do the math with me,

-oatmeal 2 lbs , 30 serving size per container, it cost me 2.50 the bag, for how many days would last me and how much for each meal?
    -chicken quartered leg I actually got it today 28 cents/lb, how many pounds do you think she would eat in 14 days?
    -eggs I got it for 1.88/dozen, if I have a 2 eggs omelet everyday with 2 slices of my 99 cents bread loaf, again how much for each meal?
    -milk 3.29 the gallon, 16 serving size of 8 oz, how much for each cup?
    -frozen veggies, 99 cent/ 16 oz bag, I eat 3 times from each bag, how much for the veggies in every meal?
    -Rice, 5 lbs of rice, $5-6.00, how many pounds of rice do you think she could possibly eat and for the average serving size, how much it would be for every plate of rice?
    -tuna, 65-99 cents, how much for having for lunch a tuna salad with the 99 cents frozen veggies and the 99 cents bread
    -PB, it was actually $1.99 the 16 oz jar, for 16 serving size of 2 tbsp, I use 1 tbsp in my oatmeal everyday.
    -mustard: 59 cents for my tuna salad, how much it would last her and how much the cost?

please the only unrealistic thing was your idea of burgers/fast food + multivitamin and praying to god the she gets the extra patties.

it can be done my friend, I do it every month and survive just fine.
  • karyabc
    Options

Thank you, especially for the caps lock part.

I don't understand what so shocking about op post, people eat like this very commonly, I'm from D.R we eat rice/beans/whatever cheap meat 365 days a year, not everyone here is american or get to have the all american life/dream/ realistic food variety
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

so wait you're saying that the only this could work, is basically fast food value mane + multivitamin.? #facepalm

OK, do the math with me,

-oatmeal 2 lbs , 30 serving size per container, it cost me 2.50 the bag, for how many days would last me and how much for each meal?
    -chicken quartered leg I actually got it today 28 cents/lb, how many pounds do you think she would eat in 14 days?
    -eggs I got it for 1.88/dozen, if I have a 2 eggs omelet everyday with 2 slices of my 99 cents bread loaf, again how much for each meal?
    -milk 3.29 the gallon, 16 serving size of 8 oz, how much for each cup?
    -frozen veggies, 99 cent/ 16 oz bag, I eat 3 times from each bag, how much for the veggies in every meal?
    -Rice, 5 lbs of rice, $5-6.00, how many pounds of rice do you think she could possibly eat and for the average serving size, how much it would be for every plate of rice?
    -tuna, 65-99 cents, how much for having for lunch a tuna salad with the 99 cents frozen veggies and the 99 cents bread
    -PB, it was actually $1.99 the 16 oz jar, for 16 serving size of 2 tbsp, I use 1 tbsp in my oatmeal everyday.
    -mustard: 59 cents for my tuna salad, how much it would last her and how much the cost?

please the only unrealistic thing was your idea of burgers/fast food + multivitamin and praying to god the she gets the extra patties.

it can be done my friend, I do it every month and survive just fine.

Leg quarters for 28c a pound? Never seen cheaper than 99c here.

I know I wouldn't waste money on liquid calories (milk) if I only had $20, personally...

But yeah, rice, beans, pasta, oatmeal are cheap. Frozen veggies at $1 a bag (12oz though, not 16 here) are often cheaper than fresh veggies too.
  • karyabc
    Options
  • karyabc
    Options
    ctnagzrhkh6q.jpg

There you go @Francl27 , like I said, you take advantage of the best you can find. ... :# I could sacrifice some things, but I need my milk (that's me).
  • Francl27
    Options
    Man, where do you live, lol.
  • karyabc
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

lol NYC :D
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    \

Lol no kidding. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts here are $4.99lb.

OP, do you have any student resources available to you? Vouchers or coupons for on campus meals? Any nearby churches that have meals or a food bank? If there is a Salvation Army or Red Cross or Senior Center that serves meals you can volunteer and they may let you have a meal.

No matter what anyone says, it's not realistic to try and feed yourself for 10 days with $20. It's better to look and search for ways to supplement that $20 to make it go farther.

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options

My point is that it's doable in that particular scenario, but not ideal or realistic in the slightest.

There is a big difference between "ideal" and "realistic" -- its perfectly realistic. Difficult...but realistic.
  • Francl27
    Options

lol NYC :D

Can't even find turkey legs here! I'm jealous.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Rice
    Whole grain bread
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Jar of peanut butter.. lots of toast
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    \

Lol no kidding. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts here are $4.99lb.

OP, do you have any student resources available to you? Vouchers or coupons for on campus meals? Any nearby churches that have meals or a food bank? If there is a Salvation Army or Red Cross or Senior Center that serves meals you can volunteer and they may let you have a meal.

No matter what anyone says, it's not realistic to try and feed yourself for 10 days with $20. It's better to look and search for ways to supplement that $20 to make it go farther.

I can get boneless skinless for $1.79 on sale - normally 1.99 at pricerite in CT!

A 1lb package of ground turkey is usually 1.99 here too.
This discussion has been closed.