Fit bitter's

Options
Question new to fit bit and have it linked to MFP. Do you eat extra calories logged to MFP account via fit bit? Do you eat back half? or none? What seems to work best. Daily calories 1390 ate 1510 still says I have 285 left. Just want to make sure I lose and do not stall or gain back. Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back. I enjoy knowing they are there, but that's it. The fitbit is just there for me as incentive and a reminder to move more and keep track of my progress.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    I eat all of mine and haven't had any issues.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I eat back some of mine because I'm not logging in the exercise I do at PT, since I'm not sure how to log it. I haven't been at this round of logging with my Fitbit for long, and I didn't have one when I last counted calories with mfp.
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I eat some if I want to or am hungry( like today). But I never eat them all. I guess it also depends on how your account is set up. If u are sedentary and end up walking a lot you get more extra but if you put active you will probably get none. It all washes in the end because your starting allowed would be different as well
  • 89GermanG
    89GermanG Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My daily calorie goal is also 1390 and I don't eat the calories back. It makes me feel good to see the extra calories but I never eat the extra calories back
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Chasity6 wrote: »
    Question new to fit bit and have it linked to MFP. Do you eat extra calories logged to MFP account via fit bit? Do you eat back half? or none? What seems to work best. Daily calories 1390 ate 1510 still says I have 285 left. Just want to make sure I lose and do not stall or gain back. Thanks in advance. :)

Some
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I generally eat most or all and have been losing consistently, but that's just what works for me! If I stalled out I'd try eating less.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Linzon wrote: »
    I generally eat most or all and have been losing consistently, but that's just what works for me! If I stalled out I'd try eating less.

@Linzon how many calories do you roughly burn a day? Are you set at sedentary, lightly active?

• Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I eat most or all as well and have been losing more than expected.

Eta: i don't always eat all the extra calories the same day I earn then, but certainly before Monday 12:00 am of each week
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I dont eat any back. If i actually ate what it allows me to which is around 3k calories i would for sure gain weight. I doubt i burn any where near 3K calories.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    All my running calories usually about 450 a day are added to my mfp but I always change it to 100 and eat the 100 extra. Because I can't see the extra calories because I've changed it I forget about them!!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I eat all of mine back. I just can't stick to my calorie goal without earning more calories through walking (so on days where I'm not able to do the walking I usually do I really struggle or just don't worry about eating at maintenance that day). I don't feel hungrier if I do more walking, so for me, the Fitbit calories are the only way I can stay in my goal each day.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I eat all of mine and haven't had any issues.
    +1

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,917 Member
    Options
    Fitbit's algorithms are such that it should seldom over-estimate your TDEE if you primarily engage in step based activities.

if you have been restricting calories for a long time, like I have, a small discrepancy may appear. In my case it has grown from less than 1% to 5% of daily TDEE.

In general, Fitbit indicates your real burn, and if you want to keep to your chosen deficit you should eat back the exercise adjustment it generates at midnight.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I use my Fitbit Zip strictly to log steps. As in a pedometer. That alone has inspired me to move more. I don't trust that it knows how many calories I've burned, etc., but it does count steps and that's all I want.
  • slowrollem
    slowrollem Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I eat all of my Fitbit calories and have still continued losing weight at the weekly goal I've set.
    If I manually log something that isn't step based, I only eat back half as I can't be totally sure what the exact burn is.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Though I don't typically eat all my earned Fitbit calories, my long term charts and spreadsheets shows me if I did, I'd lose at about the projected rate
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    I don't eat mine back on purpose, but I'm glad they're there because I'm a big guy and 1950 calories is hard to stick to if i want to have a drink or a handful of chips in the evening.