Evening workouts... when to eat dinner??

Options
I usually get home from work at about 5pm, and I'm trying to figure out what my schedule should be. I try and eat before 7, but have been known to eat dinner as early as 5 or 5:30 (I go to bed about 10 and if I eat any later it sits heavy), so is it better for me to eat dinner, then work out? Or work out then eat dinner?

TIA for any advice

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goal is and what your workout is. Eating before lifting weights will help you fuel the workout and achieve a better lift, same with cardio. A fuelled workout will help you achieve that workout better and be a better athlete.

If just fat loss is your goal, then fasted workouts may be better.

I would just go with what feels right for you. If you are used to eating early, then eat early and then workout. Sometimes I don't have time to eat properly before working out, so I have a snack to get me through and then eat after, but I tend to eat much later than you so am used to it.
  • Steve4239
    Steve4239 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's completely what works for you. In the week i don't have a solid tea because it will affect my running at 8:30pm. I just have a shake replacement meal then i'm getting all of my vitamins proteins exc but not the stitch i would have if id had eaten.

It may do you best to eat a banana on the way home from work then work out at 6 then have your tea at 7.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I can't eat before workouts or I have to go flying to the bathroom.
  • 70chevellegsp
    70chevellegsp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My wife and I eat dinner around 5-5:30 and then relax for about a 1/2 hour before we workout (Lifting and HIIT). Whatever works for you is what you should do!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The best thing to do is whatever works for you.

If I'm going to lift, I eat my normal dinner and then lift immediately afterward (well, after doing the dishes.)

If I'm going to run, I eat about half my normal dinner at 6ish, wait until about 8:15 to run, and then eat the rest of dinner when I get back around 9:30.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If I was you, I'd eat after working out. My workouts are usually running, swimming, or lifting of relatively wimpy weights, and all of those things make me feel queasy on a few stomach or I get a stitch.

Plus an awesome meal including the extra exercise calories will be something to look forward to when the workout gets tough.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I always eat after workouts. I feel like food in my tummy slows me down, and sometimes makes me want to throw up during particularly strenuous sessions.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat before I workout, but I have an absolutely iron stomach so that's what works for me.
  • hybridtheory45
    hybridtheory45 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I get home from work around 5:45, finish eating dinner by 7 or 7:30, then go workout around 8:30. I feel like an hour's digestion time is enough for me. I honestly prefer to workout before I eat, but our schedule works better eating first, so I make do.
  • deetails26
    deetails26 Posts: 108 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If I wait until after dinner it will never happen. I will have a snack before working out if I'm feeling sluggish, otherwise I work out while dinner is in the oven, or will do my workout before I prepare it. I work out at home so this works for me.
  • Hownow37
    Hownow37 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    dlboyle26 wrote: »
    If I wait until after dinner it will never happen. I will have a snack before working out if I'm feeling sluggish, otherwise I work out while dinner is in the oven, or will do my workout before I prepare it. I work out at home so this works for me.

Thank you, I don't feel so weird now.
  • doralim1990
    doralim1990 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If i need to workout before i eat, i will eat something light for example oatmealcookies or a pb with banana. And then go workout. And then eat a big portion of post workout meal
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of workout you're talking about but for running, I don't want to eat much at all for at least 2 hours prior. What I do is either start my run immediately after getting home from work, or sit with my family during their supper, maybe having a taste of this or a bite of that, then go run, then come home and reheat dinner.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Most will tell you that timing doesn't matter, but I like to eat my big meal at night after I train. I tend to consume about 40% of my daily calories pre-training during the day and the remainder post-training at night.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I do it both ways, but I always prefer to eat something first. If I don't eat dinner first, then I grab a snack. I can do cardio fasted, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much.