Bread

Options
Morning all, your views on bread. I think it's a waste of empty calories. Bread in the UK is so full of crap. I've not eating any for over a week now and I feel so much better.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I tried not eating bread once, I wanted to see if the whole low carb thing reduced bloating like many people say it does. I lasted 2 days and gave up. I like bread. Not worth giving up no matter how much it reduces bloating.

Though actually I haven't eaten it in a while since I have jacket potatoes for lunch now instead of sandwiches (which used to be when I ate bread), I can't say I feel any different. You could always make your own bread.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat bread mostly because I prefer other foods.
  • Steve4239
    Steve4239 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    last time i had bread was over a month ago
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I like a slice of crusty bread with butter here and there. I don't eat a lot of it as I tend to over eat it once I start.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Delicious yummy scrummy wonderful bread! My bacon sandwiches just wouldn't be the same without it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Empty calories?
    So you think that bread doesn't have any nutritional value then.

Why are you ignoring the protein, fat, B vitamins, thiamin, niacin, iron, calcium and fibre....

Have you actually read a food label and tried to understand it?
  • AKNMHunt
    AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Cutting out bread makes me sad. So I get the healthiest kind I can which also is lower in calories than most. Win-win.

I have eaten a whole challah loaf at once....so I loves me some bread. Haha (apologies if I misspelled)
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I have tortilla wraps but try to avoid all bread
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i love bread but don't eat a ton of it. for sandwiches i use the natures own light honey wheat (or something like that) and it comes in at 40 calories per slice, or the josephs mini pitas which are around 50 calories, if i recall correctly.

hubbys diabetic and the kids aren't sandwich kids, so its just not something we keep a lot of on hand....
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of bread but I don't cut it out for any reason other than I'm just not fussed! I'll go through phases of getting a grainy loaf and having poached eggs on toast. Or muffins with smoked salmon and poached eggs for a weekend treat. And if I'm really in the mood I get a fresh white bagette with a potted crab thing (white meat, brown meat, crumbled boiled egg, all layered) from Waitrose and have that for lunch. Every last morsel. It's delicious.

Bread isn't evil and you can get very good quality very easily in the UK, not all bread has lots of preservatives or dough improvers in them. What you choose to spend your calories in is your choice though.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I've avoided bread lately, but only because I accidentally ate part of a mouldy piece and now anytime I eat bread it reminds me lol.
    I have lost a fair bit of bloating, but that could also be because of my eating at a deficit and my weightlifting
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I eat bread. I LOVE bagels :)
    It's not 'bad' to eat and enjoy bread (in my opinion) - as long as that calorie deficit is still in effect.

I can see that bread could cause bloating for some people (my mum has to avoid bread for this very reason) - I just hope this doesn't happen to me!
  • hollie894
    hollie894 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I eat bread. I LOVE bagels :)
    It's not 'bad' to eat and enjoy bread (in my opinion) - as long as that calorie deficit is still in effect.

I can see that bread could cause bloating for some people (my mum has to avoid bread for this very reason) - I just hope this doesn't happen to me!

Have you had a burger in a toasted bagel... taste sensation!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    kat239 wrote: »
    Morning all, your views on bread. I think it's a waste of empty calories. Bread in the UK is so full of crap. I've not eating any for over a week now and I feel so much better.

I'm not a big fan of bread either - a little bit over rated (highly refined and whole grain).

I will indulge in a heavily buttered slice of toast from time to time (with marmite), but I am very aware of the calorie cost and the lack of micro nutrients in return (compared to other, better alternatives).

But that said it's normally after a heavy session at the gym, so I have the calories to spare and generally need the carbs for glycogen replenishment.

I also feel the same about rice and pasta.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat bread, but when I do, I enjoy it very much.

The "bloating" is gaining epidemic proportions.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I love bread. I buy mine from my local bakery or I make my own. Mmmm sandwiches, toast, garlic bread, croutons, bacon butties!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    A nice, crusty piece of Italian bread dipped in olive oil.....mmmmmm.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    My views on bread?

I don't have any particular view on it, I eat it sometimes - perhaps a couple of times per week.

Perfectly good food for those who like it.

My advice is same as for all foods: if you like x, eat it.
    If you don't like x and/or it causes you health problems, don' t eat it.
    If you do eat It, don't eat so much that you go over your calorie allowance or so much that you are excluding other foods and not eating a balanced diet.

X = bread or any other food.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I eat bread daily. It is delicious and very nutritious, especially multigrain: 7% fiber, 4% fat, 13% protein, iron, magnesium, vitamin B. I have no idea what type of bread you are eating that would be a waste of calories.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I eat standard UK supermarket white bread/bagels/tortillas/pittas. I've yet to find any crap in them.

I am yet to grow three heads, and I feel fine. There is nothing in a mass produced Hovis processed loaf that millions of years of evolution has left me unable to endure.

OP, if there is a direct correlation between you ceasing to eat bread and 'feeling better' it's probably an idea to pop and see a healthcare professional, as if eating bread leaves you in a position where not eating it makes you 'feel better' there is probably an underlying medical condition/food intolerance going on.