Carb crisis! Heellppp!!

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    JayLeitao wrote: »
    Okay thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately with my current lifestyle I live at work. I don't actually even have time to go to the supermarket. I know that sounds ridiculous and is mostly unfathomable but I start work before supermarkets open and don't finish early enough before they close. Besides the fact that there is too much time wasted in preparing even a sandwich because I literally live on a minute to minute schedule, it's why I only have time to ham one meal down. If I cut out the fries and bun I'm literally eating a burger patty to sustain me for 13 hours of unbearable active work, I'll starve. And I'm not gaining weight, I just have a bit of stubborn fat I can't seem to shred, the rest of me is tiny. I see "you are likely not eating enough" every single day...I don't sit down for 13 hours and I bike 4 times a day, for a total of two hours of biking, to and fro work. I've lost ridiculous amounts of weight since starting this job but it's just that bit of stomach!! Seems that I'm hating on carbs for no reason so let's change the angle - best way to get rid of that tiny bit with virtually no time to spare??
    Consistency, accurate logging, and persistence. That last little bit usually seems to be the hardest, but it's possible.

Give this a read:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner
  • JayLeitao
    JayLeitao Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Fair enough, I can definitely say I'm NOT eating too many calories though. I usually never hit over 1000 and my activity levels are high. The rest of me is toned but it's just the belly. It's just the one meal a day and I'm constantly active so I had the carbs pegged as the issue. Clearly I AM misunderstanding but then how the hell is it I have some excess stomach when I eat once a day and am active constantly?

And
    What kind of job is this? I thought it was illegal in the US to make a person work for 13 hours with just one break.

I'm guessing you live in a rural area? I don't think I would survive in an area without 24-hour grocery stores!

I live in a little village in a random part of Spain ha, and I'm basically being helpful seeming as how 50% of the staff quit and we can't find anyone else!

• andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    What kind of job is this? I thought it was illegal in the US to make a person work for 13 hours with just one break.

My wild guess is Amazon warehouse. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately with my current lifestyle I live at work. I don't actually even have time to go to the supermarket. I know that sounds ridiculous and is mostly unfathomable but I start work before supermarkets open and don't finish early enough before they close. Besides the fact that there is too much time wasted in preparing even a sandwich because I literally live on a minute to minute schedule, it's why I only have time to ham one meal down. If I cut out the fries and bun I'm literally eating a burger patty to sustain me for 13 hours of unbearable active work, I'll starve. And I'm not gaining weight, I just have a bit of stubborn fat I can't seem to shred, the rest of me is tiny. I see "you are likely not eating enough" every single day...I don't sit down for 13 hours and I bike 4 times a day, for a total of two hours of biking, to and fro work. I've lost ridiculous amounts of weight since starting this job but it's just that bit of stomach!! Seems that I'm hating on carbs for no reason so let's change the angle - best way to get rid of that tiny bit with virtually no time to spare??

You can't spot reduce through exercise OR diet. I would love to spot reduce (my thighs- ugh)....it's just not so. Where weight comes off is largely genetic.

If your job is very active (carbs are energy).......then you will burn most of those off anyway.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Fair enough, I can definitely say I'm NOT eating too many calories though. I usually never hit over 1000 and my activity levels are high. The rest of me is toned but it's just the belly. It's just the one meal a day and I'm constantly active so I had the carbs pegged as the issue. Clearly I AM misunderstanding but then how the hell is it I have some excess stomach when I eat once a day and am active constantly?

And

I'm guessing you live in a rural area? I don't think I would survive in an area without 24-hour grocery stores!

I live in a little village in a random part of Spain ha, and I'm basically being helpful seeming as how 50% of the staff quit and we can't find anyone else!

I feel your pain; I've been doing 2.5 people's jobs at work due to being understaffed for 6 months. As of yesterday, I'm now down to 1.5 jobs. Hopefully they can get some people hired and you'll get relief soon!

ETA: Random thought, could you maybe pay a neighbor or friend to pick up a few things for you from the store when they shop and then you can pick it up from them in later hours?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have an exciting, stimulating job. I second the advice to supplement the dinner you are offered, perhaps with a jar salad. You may have to shop on the weekend and prep the night before.

The carbs you are offered sound OK maybe take half a serving.

You may be at an ideal weight already any you might have to be patient with that little belly. The biking to and from work must be helping.
  • JayLeitao
    JayLeitao Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't think a jar of salad is enough energy for what I'm spending though. I literally can't afford to be exhausted.
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You may be at an ideal weight already any you might have to be patient with that little belly. The biking to and from work must be helping.

Sounds about right, the biking is absolutely fabulous for my lower half which I am entirely happy with. My arms are very toned too. It's just the damn stomaach. I want it gone but I don't have the time! : (
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you're gaining weight, you are eating too many calories. Either that or you have a medical condition that a doctor needs a blood test to diagnose. If you're losing weight but just concerned about the stomach, look up the terms skinny fat and 'your guide to sexypants' on this forum.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I can definitely say I'm NOT eating too many calories though. I usually never hit over 1000 and my activity levels are high.

This is not healthy and counter-productive. You will lose muscle on a diet that is sub-1000 calories. If you were in a coma, you would be getting more calories than this.

Nevertheless, if you are overweight (even just a little bit) then you are probably getting more calories than you think you are getting.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Well...if your weight isn't changing then you're likely eating at maintenance. Cortisol is linked to belly fat though so maybe you're super stressed...which I wouldn't doubt with the kind of schedule you're on. Try to take some time to unwind..do light yoga, meditate, run...whatever reduces stress. If you're stressed that is.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

And

If you're putting on fat on your belly, you are eating too many calories.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

And

What's the job though?

As other's have said, you can't spot reduce. There are some good suggestions in this thread though:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    She's a waitress. It says in her profile.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

Thanks. On my tablet I can't view people's profiles that I'm not friends with.

• sixxpoint
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

You don't have to be friends with her. She has an open profile.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

There is a glitch on some platforms where when you click a user's profile from the forums it takes you to the home page of MFP, and logs you out in the process.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    If the carbs aren't giving you a problem other than excess calories, cut the calories and eat a little less. Personally, I'd bring my own food and supplement with the free stuff as I had available macros.

Ditto.

My husband literally lives at work up at the oilsands in northern Canada. All food is provided for him and it is the same quality as what you are getting. He tends to pick and choose his foods now because he was gaining weight before. Now he eats bacon and eggs for breakfast and sneaks more out for lunch because the Wonder bread BLT with half a slice of bacon doesn't cut it. Double helpings of the meat at dinner.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

q2v0o6o3kwxm.jpg

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    If you are developing a weight problem it is because of how much you are eating, not because of what you are eating. I will agree that the foods listed by the OP are not the healthiest foods for regular consumption, but weight gain is about quantity, not quality.
  • sixxpoint
    Options

There is a glitch on some platforms where when you click a user's profile from the forums it takes you to the home page of MFP, and logs you out in the process.

Also @DeguelloTex

Strange. Perhaps the problem is trying to access a profile using a phone or tablet.

It works just fine on a desktop computer and she is a brand new user with no one currently on her friends list.