Has anyone had any success in gaining weight?

Options
afraley3888
afraley3888 Posts: 1 Member
I have trying to gain weight for years with very little to no success. I weigh 98 lbs after having 2 kids, and I really want to be 120-125 lbs. I just started calorie counting to make sure I'm eating enough. According to my results, some days I am and some days I'm not. So I'm going to work really hard to get all my calories everyday. Has counting calories worked for you? Do you use a drink mix? If you have any ideas or success stories I would love to hear them. Thank you :)

Replies

• jendiaz9732
    jendiaz9732 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot of protein, carbs, and fat (macros). I do protein shakes (w/ PB, pro powder, oatmeal, whole banana, almond milk) am and pm; take whole bunch of healthy snacks to work (boiled eggs, rice cakes w/ PB, turkey/beef jerky, beanitos (black bean) chips with hummus, almonds, peanuts, oatmeal w/ raisins and milk). Also a lot of baked chicken, tuna, and fish; brown rice or wheat noodles and can't forget your veggies, the greener the better! Hope this helps. I have gained 20lbs in the past year counting calories and weight lifting. Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I have trying to gain weight for years with very little to no success. I weigh 98 lbs after having 2 kids, and I really want to be 120-125 lbs. I just started calorie counting to make sure I'm eating enough. According to my results, some days I am and some days I'm not. So I'm going to work really hard to get all my calories everyday. Has counting calories worked for you? Do you use a drink mix? If you have any ideas or success stories I would love to hear them. Thank you :)

get a food scale and make sure that you are not overestimating calories consumed.

I would also suggest adding in calorie dense foods like ice cream, pizza, cookies, bagels, pasta, etc. however, make sure that you are meeting your micronutrient requirements and then fill in with the foods listed.

I would also suggest a heavy lifting program with progressivity built into it like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine.
  • hannibalholt89
    hannibalholt89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    if you are eating the correct amount of calories you WILL gain trust me there is no other way around it, I thought I was eating alot for years and nvr gained much, when I start counting my cals I put on so much weight and alot of muscle. I just found certain foods that i liked and were high cals and i stuck to them. It takes time the scale may not move right away but out of no where you will start shooting up keep at it
  • Mghaith88
    Mghaith88 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yeah
    I was 170
    Now im 185
    U gotta eat like crazy and train like a pro
  • alanery
    alanery Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have gain some weight since I start do use the app. It's not hard. Trust me. You just have to know how many calories your body needs per day and eat like 300/500 calories more.
  • hesper316
    hesper316 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You could try using www.iifym.com then enter your body composition for age, height, weight, etc and it will tell you how many calories you should eat per day. You can also get it to tell you what your protein/carb/fat macros would be for the days. If you want to do that.
    You can always do like most others said and eat about 4-6 oz of either chicken, turkey, salmon or white fish per meal for your protein. Then I would eat sweet potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice/quinoa for your good carbs. Veggies are pretty much free game but they are fillers and will keep you full.
    Add in some protein shakes for snacks or tuna and rice cakes, boiled eggs, lean lunch meats, green apples and natural PB, and almonds/walnuts/mixed nuts.

Key would also be weight training to help add muscle weight. I've been doing these things for several months. It's not an overnight gain and it's a process but worth it.
  • devildogheath
    devildogheath Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've gotten success only by eating 5k a day. Anything less i will lose, but it's different for everyone.