Ridiculous!!

Options
bonitacash08
bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
I am really disgusted with the Food Network over their decision to fire Paula Deen. As a Black woman, I'm not offended by her use of the "N-word."

I would, however, be offended if she used it in front of me. I would politely ask her not to, then we could carry on with our lives.

Honestly, do people really think she's the first person to use racial slurs? She's a 66 year old White woman who grew up during segretation in the South!

I really think she should have used better judgement before using language like that in her restaurants and especially around employees. However, to attack someone for what they say in their personal lives is a bit too far for me. Seems to me like people are set on trying to drag her through the mud.

What makes one set of offensive language worse than another? The way I use the "B-word" would be offense to a lot of women. Some people don't want to hear any curse words. When you really break it down, offensive language simply doesn't belong in one's place of business. With that being said, I highly doubt Paula is the only CHEF to use offensive language.

Replies

• SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    People like to practice selective political correctness basically if it suits their agenda they select to use it. Plenty of stars that use to shine have been dragged through the mud because people selected to make some of their selective personal comments public. Personally I do not care if people use racial slurs (I do not agree with them but who I to infringe on someone's words?) This includes racial slurs for all races, not just African American or select ethnic background. As a light skinned female when I went to visit my friend in PA (she is Colombian)any if her friends had plenty if unkind words for me (cracker. Snow flake. White girl) and she. She visit me plenty of people I know, including my idiot ex HD choice idiocies to say to her. If we censored everybody we would be censoring reality..
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    * excuse typos. Typed on cell. Fixing errors is almost painful on this screen.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    She should have watched what she said. Oh well.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    Most rappers use it and no one cares.
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    It's a business decision.

She has a stink on her now. Why would they keep her around, if viewers and sponsors don't want to be associated with her?
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    The thing that boggles me is that they asked her if she has ever used the word before. I'd be shocked if anyone ever would say they have never said it before whether typing or saying outloud. I catch myself singing it in songs (Kanye West's Gold Digger) and I just don't see that her being honest that she has "said" it before count against her. At least she was honest.
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    The thing that boggles me is that they asked her if she has ever used the word before. I'd be shocked if anyone ever would say they have never said it before whether typing or saying outloud. I catch myself singing it in songs (Kanye West's Gold Digger) and I just don't see that her being honest that she has "said" it before count against her. At least she was honest.
    People often dislike honesty. As someone said with a stigma attached to her she is less marketable. Lying to appease the masses is much more desirable (aka marketable).
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I just hate Paula Dean anyway. She gives Georgia a bad name, she openly sexually harasses men around her husband, she's loud, obnoxious and not funny.

Good riddance.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Most rappers use it and no one cares.

there is a big difference between saying it in a song where its intention is not to be hurtful and the way it seems Deen used it.

also she planned to hire slave waiters for a themed wedding because it takes her back to simpler time?

im glad she got fired.

Anthony Bourdain was right about her.

In an interview in this week’s TV Guide, Bourdain calls Paula Deen “the worst, most dangerous person to America” for her artery-clogging style of cooking.

“I would think twice before telling an already obese nation that it is OK to eat food that is killing us,” Bourdain said of Deen and her kitchen creations."

“Plus, her food sucks.”
  • Josh5957
    Josh5957 Posts: 120
    Options
    paula deen haunts my dreams with her smile!! lol
  • BIGGGMOMMMA
    BIGGGMOMMMA Posts: 190
    Options
    Everyone says stupid judgemental remarks at some point in their lives. Whether it be racist, homophobic, religious, anti-anything (overweight people, people with crazy hair, women with a lot of kids, the list goes on endlessly) It is all just people pre-judging others by what they see and interpret based on their upbringing and personal experiences. Is calling someone the n word just as bad as calling someone a hippo? I see it that way. So she said the n word, who cares? I get called a wetback by ignorant people all the time and I'm a 3rd generation American. "Go back to Mexico" they say. I literally laugh in their face, it's so funny to me. At least I have a culture I'm proud of. I've also been called a hippo. Who cares? I know I'm not as big as a hippo and so what if I was? No one can ever change anything anyone ever says. People say "They shouldn't do that" "They shouldn't say that" "They should change" But the bottom line is no one can legally make them change anything. We must change our way of dealing with it. We can only change they way we bring our children up. And even then, they are also raising their children with hate, so the cycle will probably never end. She has or will give a public apology to all black people....ok. Do you think that will make her stop being racist? Hell no. She will probably sarcastically say "That you know who" with even more contempt because she's pissed she now carries a label on her forehead. :tongue:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    She is a public figure. They have no choice to fire her. Not doing so would means they condone her behavior.
  • ForumSamurai
    Options
    People often dislike honesty. As someone said with a stigma attached to her she is less marketable. Lying to appease the masses is much more desirable (aka marketable).
    That's often known as "Minnesota Nice" or "Southern Polite." Many people would rather hear/read something "pretty" yet patently untrue, rather than hear/see the truth presented in a cold, blatant manner.

The MFP forums are RIDDLED with this sentiment.

So long as you say things that are "nice," you're often applauded. Say something that is true, yet potentially "hurtful," a percentage of members on this site cannot find the "Report" button fast enough.

Example: Someone just read what I typed, and they're debating whether or not to report my post, right now. True story.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I read that she had also planned to hire black people to appear as "slaves" serving at a wedding. That actually seems pretty evil to me. In my opinion, that goes far above and beyond simply dropping an 'N' bomb, which has been completely desensitized in North America at this point (and not something that bothers me on a personal level). Nobody cares if you say the 'N' word anymore. It's just an organization of letters-- you can choose to let it bother you, or not. I am a Metis woman, and have had multiple black friends explain to me about why the 'N' word doesn't bother them whatsoever. I feel like what Paula said (with regards to black slaves serving at a wedding) is a lot more sinister than a racial slur.

But it's all about a person's own interpretation, right? Granted, she grew up in a MUCH different time period where, demographically, some pretty cruel behaviours were widely accepted. But you know what? It's 2013, guys. There's no reason she couldn't (not to mention shouldn't) have kept her cute little wedding idea to herself. What would she have even gained in saying that? She knew it would cause controversy.

Personally, I am glad she lost her job.

ETA: Typo.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It was a business decision made by a business. If they thought they were going to lose sponsors over it and therefor lose money, then it was the right decision. Anyone who's a public figure needs to use some common sense in their behavior. She reaped what she sowed.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I have no idea who she is...I'm in the UK.

I also have no idea why someone would defend a racist.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time feeling sorry for her. I'm a regular old person of no significance who lives in the south and I have never used that word except to read it from antiquated print. If I were in a position like hers I would be extraordinarily careful with my words and actions. A fool and their money (or job) will soon be parted.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Interesting post, OP. I appreciate your honesty. (And I hadn't heard anything about this until today. Guess I need to pay more attention to what's going on.)
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I am really disgusted with the Food Network over their decision to fire Paula Deen. As a Black woman, I'm not offended by her use of the "N-word."

I would, however, be offended if she used it in front of me. I would politely ask her not to, then we could carry on with our lives.

Honestly, do people really think she's the first person to use racial slurs? She's a 66 year old White woman who grew up during segretation in the South!

I really think she should have used better judgement before using language like that in her restaurants and especially around employees. However, to attack someone for what they say in their personal lives is a bit too far for me. Seems to me like people are set on trying to drag her through the mud.

What makes one set of offensive language worse than another? The way I use the "B-word" would be offense to a lot of women. Some people don't want to hear any curse words. When you really break it down, offensive language simply doesn't belong in one's place of business. With that being said, I highly doubt Paula is the only CHEF to use offensive language.

I couldn't agree more! I am not a fan of that word. I cringe when Black people use it. Howerer, she was asked a question and answered honestly. And I would rather someone be honest to my face than talk s**t behind my back. I have used slurs in my lifetime. As I have gotten older I have also gotten wiser about my word choices. I think she learned her lesson and an apology was enough. I'm not a huge fan but firing her was unnecessary in my opinion.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Her use of that word offends me. More than that, though, it's the way a person who uses racial slurs thinks.
This discussion has been closed.