Apple Shape Exercises!

Options
I'm sure there have been other posts about this, but I'm an apple shape and was wondering what exercises I could do in order to tone my shoulders, get rid of my love handles, and decrease my stomach fat! Thanks!

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    fork put downs and plate pushaways.
  • Ellenrosek
    Ellenrosek Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The issue isn't that I'm fat, it's that I'm not toned. Thanks for the advice though!
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Ok- get ready for lots of suggestions for toning your core- ugh I hate it, but they're right! I am in the process of trying to lose my gut and before I had a severe reaction to poison ivy and had to drug myself up with Benedryl and try to sleep it off or scratch myself till I bled I was doing p90x and it was working quite well. I was doing the lean program and I could do most of it but the ab ripper wanted to make me curl in a ball and cry so I guess I know what I should focus more on! Good luck.
  • Ellenrosek
    Options
    Thank you! I hope your bad poison ivy reaction goes away. :/ I've heard great things about P90X!
  • GetSoda
    Options
    get rid of my love handles, and decrease my stomach fat! Thanks!
    The issue isn't that I'm fat, it's that I'm not toned. Thanks for the advice though!

"toned" is a lack of fat around lean muscle. Only obtained by a calorie deficit. Best obtained through caloric reduction.
    If you are looking to gain muscle, then you have to eat extra calories. This will also give you more fat. People that are 'toned' professionally understand this, and go eat chicken breasts and asparagus spears all day to lean out.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Love handles are fat. You cannot spot reduce fat by exercising. It goes away with a calorie deficit. Period. If you want to build muscle, lift heavy weights and eat at a surplus. If you want to burn fat, lift heavy weights and eat at a deficit.
  • Ellenrosek
    Options
    Love handles are fat. You cannot spot reduce fat by exercising. It goes away with a calorie deficit. Period. If you want to build muscle, lift heavy weights and eat at a surplus. If you want to burn fat, lift heavy weights and eat at a deficit.

That makes sense, thank you
  • whitneysin
    whitneysin Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm not really familiar with Dr. Oz, nor do I like him, but I found this:

http://www.oprah.com/health/Dr-Oz-Diet-and-Exercise-Plans-for-Your-Body-Type/3

To the other posters, I'm sure the OP knew that you cannot spot reduce, however you can do specific toning exercises in conjunction to cardio and strength training.
  • Ellenrosek
    Options

"toned" is a lack of fat around lean muscle. Only obtained by a calorie deficit. Best obtained through caloric reduction.
    If you are looking to gain muscle, then you have to eat extra calories. This will also give you more fat. People that are 'toned' professionally understand this, and go eat chicken breasts and asparagus spears all day to lean out.

So basically, eat more and exercise more. Got it. Thanks.
  • GetSoda
    Options

So basically, eat more and exercise more. Got it. Thanks.

Well, yes. But you'll get more muscle and more fat at the same time. You won't achieve a 'toned' look that way. Google "Holly Mangold."

How 'toned' someone is primarily determined by bodyfat percentage.

Eat less, lift heavy weights will give the best results. The smaller the calorie deficit and the harder you work, the longer it will take but the better you will look.
  • Predsfan2013
    Predsfan2013 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    :smile: