Make me like black beans...

Options

Replies

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I grew up on black beans and rice. Among other things of course. Cuban-style:

soak a pound of dry beans overnight.
    drain, rinse, and put in a pot (or crockpot) covered with water
    add
    1 large chopped green pepper,
    1 large chopped onion
    3-4 bay leaves
    at least 1 head of garlic (NOT cloves, heads. Yes, that much garlic. Put as much as you think is enough, then add more. Peel it first)
    a splash of olive oil
    about a teaspoon of cumin
    about a teaspoon of salt (my dad would add much more, but you can always add salt to your plate)

Cook until tender. These get better the second day.

Great for breakfast, especially on late autumn mornings or anytime you're a little hungover :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    Options
    This recipe from the Joy of Cooking uses dried beans: Brazilian Black Beans

I've been making America's Test Kitchen Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice since they emailed me the recipe. The first time I made it I used canned beans and skipped step 2. This worked, but the completely followed recipe is more flavorful.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I've only ever had black beans as a sauce on Chinese spare ribs. It's never occurred to me that I could buy them and do something with them! Thanks for all the ideas everyone, I shall look for them next time I do grocery shopping.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Buy them canned, much less work and they are cheap. I use them for nearly everything I make.
    I LOVE black bean soup, chicken taco soup, black bean quesadillas, on top of salads, just as a side flavored with some cajun seasoning is the way for me, black bean dip with chips.
    I'm glad you've come over to the bean side and realize how good they are. maybe you'll start liking others too. when you go, remember bean soup is amazing!!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Can of black beans with some garlic and a bay leaf. It's the bomb when served with rice.
  • rbakedq
    rbakedq Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I do This a lot:

Black Bean And Corn Salad

14 ounce can black beans; rinsed and drained
    10 ounces frozen corn kernels, or kernels from 2-3 fresh ears of corn. (see note below)
    1 small red bell pepper; seeded and chopped
    4 whole scallions; chopped
    1 teaspoons ground cumin; or to taste
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder; or to taste
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 teaspoons hot sauce, just eyeball the amount; (recommended: Tabasco)
    1 whole lime; Juiced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    salt and pepper; to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Let stand at least 15 minutes for corn to fully defrost and flavors to combine, then toss and serve.

Note: roasted peppers work well also. Cholula and Tabasco hot sauce recommended. You can replace scallions with 1/4 chopped red onion or to taste. This time of year I use fresh corn. Microwave three ears of corn with husks. When cool enough, husk the corn and slice the kernels off directly into the bowl. Easy!

For MFP: a total recipe is 740 gr., and for the name in the MFP recipe section I use: Black Bean And Corn Salad - about 125 gr. or 1/2 cup.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I'm married to a man from mexico so we eat alot of beans but i love black beans all i do is heat them sometimes whole sometimes i smash them. There great with eggs. Try scrambling eggs snd smash black beans in with the eggs and roll in tortillas you can put salsa, tomatoes, or anything you like
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,234 Member
    Options
    Put them in salsa, use them in stir-fries (they're good with Chinese-style food seasonings, especially spicy ones), put them on salad (add chopped mango - yummy combination). Plus all the stuff everyone said above.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Dried beans are cheaper, taste better, and freeze well, but canned beans are a fine convenience food. Try a rice salad with black bean, corn and cilantro. It's beautiful and tasty
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Going to give them a shot over the next couple weeks. They are pretty inexpensive around here and I know they are full of nutrients so I'm hoping I can make them into something I enjoy regularly.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Honestly... my lunch at work is usually 1/2 of some frozen veggie steamer bag (birdseye, I'm obsessed), 4oz of ground turkey, and like 1/2 cup of seasoned black beans. Been eating this for weeks.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Add some cannelloni beans to the dish:

Two-Bean Soup with Kale
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/two-bean-soup-with-kale

3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped carrot
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    4 cups vegetable broth
    7 cups stemmed, chopped kale (about 1 bunch)
    2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed, drained,
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Black beans are the bomb. I actually don't really eat them in a deficit much because a few of my add ins get cut (I have many). I love them in salad, any salad really, but especially a taco or fajita salad with beef, peppers, avocado, cheese, salsa, hot sauce..mm
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    if you don't like beans then don't eat beans....

that said, legumes in general are pretty nutritious...I make a big batch pretty much every sunday using dried beans from bulk...they are a staple of my diet and very cheap...I usually do pinto beans. I live in New Mexico so beans are pretty much a staple...
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I use black beans in my chili instead of kidney beans. Also, a serving of beans on a taco type salad with salsa is yummy.

Love all the other suggestions too.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    What a coincidence. I love all beans except for green beans.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite breakfasts is scrambled eggs with a side of black beans and salsa.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Honestly... my lunch at work is usually 1/2 of some frozen veggie steamer bag (birdseye, I'm obsessed), 4oz of ground turkey, and like 1/2 cup of seasoned black beans. Been eating this for weeks.

This actually sounds like a good, easy meal. I'm going to try it out (except with way more ground turkey).