I Need Help

Options
I really need help and support today.

I've been in a downward spiral and I've gained 8 lbs. I have no motivation to track calories, and I think part of me wants to get as fat as I possibly can. And it's because my father died. I'm miserable and sabotaging my goals because my father is gone and I can't do anything other than sit on the couch and watch Grey's Anatomy and eat bread or crackers or celery.

And I need help getting out of this. I crave exercise and healthy food and I really need a friend on this forum. Because I don't want to sabotage my goals. I need someone to tell me to snap out of it and get off my *kitten* and go for a run.

Please. Someone. Help.

Replies

• sstermole
    sstermole Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. Grief can definitely do a number on you. Think about what your dad would have wanted - he would have wanted you to have good health, be active, enjoy life. He wouldn't want you to sabotage yourself.

Maybe try something small....a very small change. Maybe taking a 10 minute walk twice a day. Do that for 1 week, and then increase it to 20 minutes etc. Then maybe try to do a light 30 minute workout once a day. I can give some good, fun recommendations if you need them.

Send me a friend request.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    'Sorry to hear about your Dad. :heart:
    Make one change. Maybe go for a walk. Or add some great cheese to the bread so that you are getting more protein.
  • LeahEstevez4
    LeahEstevez4 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im sorry for your loss- Ill be your friend?? xx
  • delano1972
    delano1972 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    All right my dear....I am terribly sorry for your loss but SERIOUSLY get your poop in a group and reset now!!! Your dad would absolutely, 100% NOT want you sitting around self destructing. As of this moment you need to jump off the pity party train and grieve your loss constructively. Turn off the tv, put your headphones on, go for a walk. Reminisce with your memories of what your dad would want you to be doing. You know in your heart that he would not want you sitting around watching TV eating bon-bond gaining fat. Add me as a friend if you want. But again....grieve constructively not destructively. So sorry for your loss!!! :'(
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Would your Dad want you to be fat?

Does he want you to sit around, not track, not exercise and pack on the pounds?

Does he want you to succumb to a disease well before your time so that you too can be dead?

I doubt it. Make yourself well. Make him proud. Grief will follow you for at least a year, it will hit hard at annual milestones, it will suck.

Losing people is horrible. The least you can do is think "What would he have wanted? I'll do this to honor him, I'd like to imagine he is smiling down on me from somewhere!"

Whether he is or isn't able to see you now, there's solid value in remembering and honoring him by doing things he'd want you to do. And I'll bet one of those things is getting off your *** and making sure you take care of yourself.

Osric

[edit for spelling]
  • MsLexii
    MsLexii Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi Calla,

Grief is tricky. It sucks us in and makes us do things we wouldn't normally do. My dad passed away five years ago, yesterday. I get it. I know the pain. There really are no words that can aid or comfort you in your pain right now. Only time can do that. You have to let yourself grieve. If you don't, it'll keep popping back up into places of your life you didn't expect.

God tells us there will be hardships and there will be trouble and pain in this world. He tells us it won't always be easy. "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world and give you my peace." Jesus Christ-John 16:33 .. The word also says "From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I." Psalms 61:2 .. Yes there will be pain and yes you will be overwhelmed but there's someone that has your back!! That is strong no matter what!!

You can do this :) grieve, cry, vent! Then get back up and try again!! If you fall down, who cares! because we all fall down, what matters is that you get back up! The days will pass whether you're sitting on a couch emotionally eating, or whether you're in a gym exercising and letting off stress through sweat.

You have this in you, just say when... And start :)
  • GrnEyes839
    GrnEyes839 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Grief affects us differently. I suppose you need to ask yourself if you're on the path to be the person you would think your father would want you to be.
    I've lost both of my parents, trust me, I've been there.
    Feel free to add me.