Social Life kills my weight loss

We have a very fun social group. Every weekend we get together for cocktails or dinner. What do you do to not stymie your weight loss?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Take your lifestyle into account when budgeting out your calories. If cocktails and splurge-y dinners are a priority, set aside calories for them.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    edited September 2015
    Pre-log your day when possible. Exercise more to earn those extra calories you'll be intaking. Be conscientious and use moderation.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Drink fewer cocktails or lower calorie cocktails. Plan what you'll eat when you're out. Compensate for any indulgences the day before and the day of by eating at the lower end of your calories. Once in awhile, it's fine to splurge, but if it's every weekend, don't go overboard.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Drink your liquor straight! Less calories that way. :)

More seriously, set aside calories for your get together throughout the week. Cut back 100-200 calories a day, and just use them for the weekend. As long as you maintain a general deficit, going over on some days is fine.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Just budget it in - let your social circle help support you. If you go over one day, just compensate over the week. Your body doesn't recognize recognize the 24 hour logging cycle.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Go out less frequently.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Social Life kills my weight loss. No, it's really you that does it. Good news is, you have a choice!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Drink fewer cocktails, and see which ones can be made with lower calorie options. If you know the restaurants you're going to, look up the menus before you go and decide what you're going to have ahead of time. That way, when you get there, you're not tempted to get a lot of other things. Yeah, you'll probably go over a bit from time to time, but everyone does. As long as it's not several times a week, you'll be fine. Just adjust to eating a little less or burning extra calories the next day.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Why do you have to drink cocktails why not diet soda without the liquor
  • dubird wrote: »
    Drink fewer cocktails, and see which ones can be made with lower calorie options. If you know the restaurants you're going to, look up the menus before you go and decide what you're going to have ahead of time. That way, when you get there, you're not tempted to get a lot of other things. Yeah, you'll probably go over a bit from time to time, but everyone does. As long as it's not several times a week, you'll be fine. Just adjust to eating a little less or burning extra calories the next day.
    +1

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    dubird wrote: »

This!

If I'm going over budget I switch to club soda with lime.
  • stac928
    stac928 Posts: 10 Member
    When I was first losing I would pre-log based on online menus or prior knowledge of the menu to decide what I was eating that fit within my calorie goals (without having to log everything at the table in front of folks lol). After awhile I got a better feel for the calories in various food items, especially the places I frequent. Now I can wing it and do pretty well but it took practice. I still log everything after to double check myself. I go over some but try hard to maintain my social life but also meet my goals.
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    We do too! I drink vodka and soda (club soda) with lots of lime. Often times I eat beforehand and forego dinner altogether, but if I know I'm going to eat I exercise that day a bit harder, skip breakfast and lunch - and enjoy!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Eat less during the week to save up for the weekend.

As for drinks, I go with vodka, water and carry some Mio with me, that way you lose the calories from mixers.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    This is funny because weight loss has killed my social life. I have to get my Gluteal Goddess in 3X/week so it's do or die. I only drink on weekends and if you look at my diary, I slack on meeting my other macros because of this.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    i go deck drinking at my neighbors every friday and saturday night.

still lost 70 pounds.

if you want it, youll find a way to make it work. LOL
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Skinnygirl margaritas are tasty, and not that bad. Luckily, my favorite drink, gin on the rocks with a twist of lemon, is also the lowest in calories of pretty much all libations.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Eat less during the week to save calories.

Have a lower calorie drink.

Make better food choices. Just because you go out doesn't mean you have to eat a whole pizza or burger and fries.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    I'm in the same boat. The social drinking is the main reason I put on 30 pounds over the last couple years. When all my pants quit fitting I decided it is time to make a choice....buy fat pants or cut the social drinking down.

I still drink when I'm out with friends, but unlike before, I plan ahead. If I know I'm going to be drinking I make sure to have have a healthy dinner/snack ahead of time. I never arrive hungry when I know I will be ordering drinks. I also make sure I have a calorie deficit of at least 400-700 calories before I even start drinking. If there's no calorie deficit I will do a Zumba class ahead of time to burn an easy 400+ calories. It's easy to forget how much I have to drink once I start, so I'm careful to log my drinks as I go. Once I hit my calorie limit, I stop drinking alcohol and start ordering lemon water or club soda.

I'm only a couple weeks in but I'm feeling better and pants are already starting to fit me better. It's all about planning ahead and sticking to the new lifestyle change. If I do fall off the wagon, I'll pick myself up and continue right where I left off the next day.