Do you believe in having a weekly cheat meal? what's your reason?

Options

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    kirzz92 wrote: »
    you guys aren't cool.. I'm not on these threads often, and have been going at my fitness goals on my own.... I didn't know how to word something "correctly" to people who I thought were friendly enough to have a discussion with me.

Thanks everyone else for your input! I like the idea of putting it in your diary and planning the rest of the day around it.

My comment wasn't a criticism of you, but rather a commentary the tendencies of the board...but I see how you could have taken it that way. Sorry.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    OP is this you in the photo? Are you trying to lose weight?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Where do you draw the line though?

What do you classify as too much of a cheat meal?

I would say that a "cheat" meal or day is one where you eat something you would not ordinarily do so on the dieting plan you have chosen (so if you are low carbing then something with higher carbs and so on.)

The idea is that is like a valve which you can turn on if you want to relieve any restriction you feel from dieting. It would be too much if it became a binge and resulted in a loss of control and / or your maintenance calories being excessively exceeded.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    No. You either eat a certain way or you don't. Why would you intentionally schedule to eat foods you otherwise wouldn't? I'm all for eating what is traditionally thought of as clean, but I allow for "life happens" moments without scheduling them. Just eat & move on guilt & stress free.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    As my heading states, what are your opinions on a weekly cheat meal?

I'm kinda leaning towards being pro, perhaps a nice idea for a sunday eve to end off a successful week of hard training and clean eating.

Where do you draw the line though?

What do you classify as too much of a cheat meal?

I don't know what this means I don't restrict myself like that. There are times I might overindulgent in something and go over my calories but clean eating to me doesn't actually mean anything. There are times where I might have something a little bit more sugary like ice cream or cake but I'm never outside of my calorie goal when consuming those things
  • krisfrantzen
    krisfrantzen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think cheat is the wrong term as well. I still call it that but my cheat meal is usually breakfast out and I am still very aware of what I am having and fit it in my calories.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Do you believe in having a weekly cheat meal? what's your reason

no,. its self sabotage of the worst kind
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    No. You either eat a certain way or you don't. Why would you intentionally schedule to eat foods you otherwise wouldn't? I'm all for eating what is traditionally thought of as clean, but I allow for "life happens" moments without scheduling them. Just eat & move on guilt & stress free.

I know its the strangest thing huh.

sunday schedule

10:00 am rise
    10:30 work out
    11:00 eat an entire bag of doritos, drink a can of soda, eat ice cream.
    12:00 healthy lunch

crazy huh.

• DJLS81
    DJLS81 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm ordering in a pizza tonight simply because I have a craving for it, not really eaten unhealthy in the last 2 weeks which is unheard of for me.

I'm not going crazy though it will be smaller than what I normally get, granted it will take me over the calorie limit but it's not the end of the world for me
  • TonyRasmussen
    TonyRasmussen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes. Its easier for me to stick to my plan by that. It doesn't mean i eat heavy dirty, but i eat for example more carbs than usual.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I just eat food...my diet is overwhelmingly healthy...but sometimes I have pizza...sometimes I have cake...sometimes I have a cookie...sometimes I over eat, etc. I don't see that as cheating...cheating implies that I'm doing something wrong and I don't give my food moral values like that.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I do my own version of a cheat meal/day. Cheating used to be eating very unhealthy and over the calorie limit at one meal. Now if I want to cheat, I make a healthy version of the 'bad' stuff. Like homemade ice cream, apple crisp, the biggest peanut cookie I can fit in the toaster over, my own pizza made with whole food ingredients. This weekend I'm trying a recipe for a healthy version of Baskin Robbins Pumpkin Ice Cream cake that I found online.
    I'm trying to be very mindful of everything I put in my body. If my cheat meal is ultra healthy, it keeps me from going completely off the rails.
  • notcrazychef
    notcrazychef Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been having a cheat day regularly Once a week over a weekend I do not count calories it really helped me to get a grip with calorie counting, I read a good chapter in the 4 hour body book that goes into having a cheat day weekly and a pre set things to do before it and during, this really helps.

• lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I overindulge the odd time but don't schedule it. It usually involves a pub burger, fries and a chocolate sundae and always results in one kick *kitten* workout the next day. I have the energy of 20 grinches plus two haha
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Sure. On the weekend we'll go out for dinner and I'll have something I don't normally eat during the week -like pasta or pizza, and share dessert with the hubby. That's usually when I'll have some wine or cider, too. I realize I can eat all of these things whenever I want if I work them into my daily calories, but it's not worth it to me to do so - I'd rather see some of these foods as a "treat" as opposed to these foods being my norm. But that's what works for me, personally and helps me to stay on track.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I just eat food...my diet is overwhelmingly healthy...but sometimes I have pizza...sometimes I have cake...sometimes I have a cookie...sometimes I over eat, etc. I don't see that as cheating...cheating implies that I'm doing something wrong and I don't give my food moral values like that.
    Love that!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    If I've earned it I eat whatever I want certain days. Rather then view each day as a "make it or break it" event, I look at my entire week and the long term goal.

As time progresses, my big eating days are usually healthier than they used to be. But eating a piece of cake or a nice meal out isn't going to break me and long term progress.

Personally I say do what works for you.
  • pennypuffkin
    pennypuffkin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of a cheat meal / cheat day, but I find myself unable to just indulge in one treat. I tend to go overboard and eat until I'm sick. :( I'm trying to be better about saving my "cheating" for upcoming events (camping, visiting family, weddings, etc) so that my occasional binge doesn't derail my weight loss efforts.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    Honestly I never understood the reason why people have cheat days. Because let's be honest.. Meals are something you shouldn't regret. We need to eat. It's how we eat that makes the difference. I think of it this way. You have a party and cake is being served.. Have a slice.. But decide how much cake you want.. And don't regret it. I feel like too many people get tripped up on cheat days and when that happens.. They then in turn want to diet and diet and diet more to hopefully get rid of the cake or "bad" food they had. You have to make a smart decision. If you want wings for dinner, eat wings but decide before hand how much you believe is reasonable to eat. If you believe eating 5 slices of cake is going to make you hard on yourself afterwards.. Then eat one slice and see how you feel. Some people don't realize.. You can and should eat whatever you like. Just make sure you take in account how much of it you really need.. Or want. It will help you better decide how to handle your "cheat days"
  • sngglebune
    sngglebune Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm carb cycling so I don't cheat but I have a free day, which means I stay within a calorie limit but my meals are not pre-planned and I'm not rigid about my nutrition. The idea of cheating implies your doing something wrong whereas a free day means you can choose what you want and not feel guilty. Good nutrition is a mindset so I don't even call it a diet.