Stuck in a plateau

Options
I dont understand this, but I just turned 42 and my body doesnt lose the weight as quickly as it did 10 yrs ago! Can anyone give me advice on how to REV up my diet and exercise? I am always under my calorie goal and I use the fitbit to monitor my steps. Please any advice is good advice!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see your logging.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    How long is this plateau?
  • jswede1149
    jswede1149 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What is your height, current weight and body fat %?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Were you losing weight consistently, then stopped? Or are you saying you are in a plateau from the start?

How long has this plateau lasted? Have you had plateaus in the past?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    cindyb0121 wrote: »
    I just turned 42 and my body doesnt lose the weight as quickly as it did 10 yrs ago!

I am always under my calorie goal and I use the fitbit to monitor my steps.

A healthy, sustainable loss is .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight. But weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you do everything right but maintain—or even gain. Others you lose a whole lot in a "whoosh."

Get some friends in the Fitbit group and do challenges. They're great motivation—and fun: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

For me, weight loss is harder in my 40s because I'm less active. I can't remember the last time I went dancing!
  • JensyRN
    JensyRN Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, I just started back at this, but eating healthy carbs and eating them early in the day. Upping my protein and weight lifting. Off to a great start and hoping to keep plugging along. I'm 44 in a couple of weeks!
  • cindyb0121
    cindyb0121 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I will make my diary public.

• cindyb0121
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs and then nothing for 7 days. I decided to change how I intake calories through my day. Instead of 2 bigger meals, I'm spreading my calories out all day. Well see if it works!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,646 Member
    Options
    Not a plateau since it's defined as 6 weeks or more of no weight movement as long as you're consistent. What I see here is that you're NOT eating the amount of calories you're supposed to. You'll initially have some weight loss, but when a deficit is TOO HIGH, then your metabolism adjusts quickly to it and conservatively uses the calories you've supplied.
    You're not smarter than your body and eating much less than you're supposed to isn't going to speed up weight loss any faster without possibly causes some issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Not a plateau since it's defined as 6 weeks or more of no weight movement as long as you're consistent. What I see here is that you're NOT eating the amount of calories you're supposed to. You'll initially have some weight loss, but when a deficit is TOO HIGH, then your metabolism adjusts quickly to it and conservatively uses the calories you've supplied.
    You're not smarter than your body and eating much less than you're supposed to isn't going to speed up weight loss any faster without possibly causes some issues.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Do you think she understands what you are talking about? No she doesn't. She is eating 1k calories a day and burning 500 through exercise. She is just spinning the wheels.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs and then nothing for 7 days. I decided to change how I intake calories through my day. Instead of 2 bigger meals, I'm spreading my calories out all day. Well see if it works!

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. It makes no difference when you eat.
    I will make my diary public.

Your diary is still private.

Have you seen the weight loss flowchart?
    nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    OP, You are not in a plateau after 1 week. Come back in 3 months if you keep a deficit and don't see a loss.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    7 days? Please. You're not going to lose weight every day or even every week. Some weeks you'll do everything right and see a gain. Eat at a deficit and BE PATIENT!
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options

You either need to:

- be more patient
    - weigh less often
    - weigh often but use a trend graph instead of looking at the weights

Weights off the scale will often show big drops then nothing for a while. Water weight dominates your weigh ins and the numbers you are seeing from the scale have little to do with your overall progress, and lots to do with how much water is in your body.

I like trendweight.com to see the trend, if you put your weights in here you'll see you're not at a plateau at all, but consistently losing weight.

Osric

4w.png
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Amen!!!
  • cindyb0121
    Options
    Thank you to the people that gave me positive answers. I really appreciate it!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It is normal that it would be harder to lose weight at 42 than 32 but easier than at 52. I assume it's because our BMR slows down over the years so you earn a few less cals each day. It is possible to lose weight at ANY AGE. Lots of good advice here. ^^
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    "ninerbuff wrote: »
    ... but when a deficit is TOO HIGH, then your metabolism adjusts quickly to it and conservatively uses the calories you've supplied.

Wait, what? I thought everyone said "starvation mode" was a myth???
  • gymth0ttie
    gymth0ttie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm stuck at a plateu I add more cardio. It doesn't have to be a lot (although I frequently hear you need to run for 30 min to burn serious fat) I just warm up on a ten minute jog and then after my work out maybe I'll do stair climbers or an elliptical for ten minutes for some extra fat burn