Your Thoughts on the Easy/Lazy way to fat loss (Surgery)?

Options
A bit of a long story /explanation here (with a bit of a rant too)

So I work in the operating theatres of the biggest hospital in the country. Well..9 of the 21 theatres are in the area I work in. And today, as the last case of the day for Theatre 6, they were doing a plastic surgery case (which isn't their usual work, they got it from Th9 which is in a different complex). I didn't pay much attention to the case before hand nor the patient. I just prepped the table before hand, and as I was leaving the theatre, passed the patient as she walked in - obviously not a sick (or at least not very sick patient, due to being mobile and able to walk in, unlike many others that would be in for surgeries each day and can't even shuffle from the bed to the table, let alone even walk).

Fast forward to after the surgery, I head in while they're stitching up the patient. start doing my own work, and chatting away to a nurse i'm friendly with. I notice a big mass of 'something' on the weighing scales, and ask him what it is, assuming it was an organ or something. It was skin and fat. And I was told they did a tummy tuck. First one i've seen in the 2 months i've been working in that theatre complex (worked many months in maternity theatres, before that).
Out of curiosity I asked him was there a problem with them, cancerous, or some sickness or disease or something, that she's in here getting it or was it like just cosmetic reasons. (Again, since its first time I saw that procedure since working there). Nope, cosmetic reasons only. "For her mind / mental health", as apparently it was like that after pregnancy.

I don't say much more to him about it, just carried on with my work, but was thinking about some things.
Something that wouldn't ever give me a second thought for most other cases, but came back here due to that was the last time patients ate. Sometimes patients eat and/or drink when they shouldnt, due to having to fast for surgery. In pretty much all cases, its fasting since dinner the previous night if the surgery is in the morning. And usually no liquids from 6+ hours pre-surgery or at least limited to a small amount of water. And the anesthetists and surgeons need to discuss whether to proceed or not. and so on. Depending on what and when they ate and/or drank.
Surgery started around 4pm, give or take. And she ate a hospital breakfast around 7am that morning. I've seen all the options of hospital breakfasts here, and they're very generous in size. She had a 3 egg omelette with whatever filling, with 4 slices of toast (usual is 2, she kept asking till she got 2 extra according to the surgeons), and a decent sized bowl of some sugary cereal that her sister had brought in for her.
That wasn't the problem. The problem was, she ate again afterwards. About after 10am. not hospital food, as the ward wouldn't give her more knowing she had surgery coming up. It seems she made her sister go across the street to a fast-food place, and buy her a meal. And not just a hamburger, it was a fairly substantial meal. I can't remember which kind, but something like a king sized burger, large chips, and some dessert or something.
Obviously - they went through with the surgery, I wouldn't know what they changed or did due to her not fasting though.

So here we have this woman, coming in for surgery to take away fat and skin. Claiming it was caused by pregnancy, and its for emotional/mental well-being. Yet she wasn't referred there by her doctor either (private patient through clinic). One look at her though, and its straight up obvious that she wasn't a skinny or average or even chubby sized/shaped woman at any stage, even before the pregnancy and just had some extra 'padding' or saggy skin left over after it. She was just straight up very fat. Easily 200-220+ pounds. Very short. She was at most 5'1 if not shorter again. Bmi would probably class as morbidly obese, which even though bmi isn't a great thing to go on, is pretty much accurate in this case.
The mound of fat and skin on the weighing scales? 18.2 pounds. Amount of goop/liquid-gooey-fat in the suction tubing was 800ml, but way heavier and thicker than blood which is what usually goes in there. Probably at least 4-6 pounds in weight as well if i was to guess from when I had to take it out to dispose of.

What was the end result from this procedure? she had a little less belly fat overall, yet still a big belly that wobbled and hung out. Massive flabby/saggy arms and thighs and legs. A fat filled neck too. Chubby face, but not as much as others with similar height/weight would have. and probably 45+ inch waist. And (imo) she was still just as unattractive/unappealing to say the very least, - body wise, as before the fat was taken out (not even due to weight alone, but sagging/flabbiness, features, hair, nose, etc). The procedure cost her somewhere between €8-12k. And it would seem she has a young child (Due to her saying it was from her recent pregnancy).
And in my mind, its safe to assume her overall diet must be relatively unhealthy too, firstly cause of her weight, and secondly since she couldn't even go half a day without eating, even in preparation for surgery, and not even eating healthily when she did get her sister to go out and buy her more food - specifically junk food.

I know alot of that sounds really harsh. But i didn't say any of it to anyone, just things that went through my mind. And i'm not out-right insulting her, just stating my observations / opinions from what I saw and heard of her during and after the surgery, and heard about her before it.

Summed up, she basically wanted to lose weight. Paid a large sum of money (even though she has a new born or at least a young child at home) for someone else to do the work and spend an hour sucking out and cutting off a massive amount of fat from her body even though she (again imo) doesn't look any better after it either, and not for medical reasons, but purely cosmetic reasons. With a seemingly unhealthy diet / lifestyle, and not even the self-control to go less than half a day without eating. And I would guess she'd probably gain the weight back + more after a period of time too, since she may not even start eating less or anything. (Again, she wasn't referred by her doctor, her doctor had no notes or information to give the hospital about any weight loss attempts, any prescriptions to weight loss medication or anything. So she made no previous attempts, at least not with him, to lose weight herself).

The whole situation of hers kind of just made me mad. Not necessarily at her personally, but people like that in general. That with some money, and other people's time/effort/work, get all your fat taken out in an hour. And still continue to live the same lifestyle that got you to that weight/condition to begin with.

And then to just reflect on my own situation. Spending 7+ months with massive work, determination, tears and joy, depression, ups and downs, and research on the body / nutrition / diet / exercise / etc, to lose 50+ pounds of almost pure fat. (noticeably bigger muscles and can lift a fair bit heavier too, so muscle loss had to be minimal if not even nothing, and probably gained some muscle in fact).

And part of it might even jealousy or envy or something, that I had to work for so long and so hard (and still am), to lose fat, while this sort of an option exists for people that are just too lazy to put in effort or work themselves.

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Thanks for you honesty, but you have to know this isn't going to go well...
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Guess you're allowed your opinion - but that's judgey as it can be. You don't know that woman, you have no idea of her life or her struggles - and it isn't much your business how she chooses to handle her issue. You do you.

Hope your day/life improves.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Cliffs????
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Some, are just too lazy to put in the work.

na7xt1iyxo36.jpeg
  • mike_acton
    mike_acton Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Unless triage failed and she bumped someone in medical need, I'd say it's none of our damn business what she does with her life, her money and especially her own body.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    The only reason you should care at all is if you are a taxpayer funding her surgery. It sounds as though that is not the case. Other than that, a healthy dose of empathy is all that's required.

The other peoples' time/work/effort is paid for. You get paid to do this job, no? She's getting nothing for free from the sounds of it. She's a grownup who earned her money and can do what she wants with it. She will likely end up right back in the same place in no time and your life will have moved on to the next thing.

I personally have not had WLS but from what I understand here on these boards, it is not the easy way out you seem to think it is.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what she does?

People get all KINDS of unnecessary surgeries. For instance, some of them to add body enhancements merely to pleasure their partner more in bed. How dare they, when the rest of us actually have to practice getting good in bed without the help of permanent ribbing!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I would not care about the money or whether she looks better or not. Her money, she can throw it away. What I can never comprehend in elective surgery is taking the risk. I had the "pleasure" of having several major surgeries for different reasons, and I always understood that there is a risk, even a small death risk. I can even see taking this risk for cosmetic reasons, when a huge improvement is expected that will improve quality of life. But taking the risk for minor improvements, it is something I can never understand.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. I can only hope and pray that if I ever go in for surgery or other medical procedures, be they doctor-recommended or for my own vanity, that I never ever have someone like you in the building. You don't know her. And even if everything you've assumed is completely correct, what the hell do you care? It's not your time/money, not your life.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Where's my popcorn and wine! :#
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There are good (and bad) reasons for liposuction, tummy tuck....whatever. Perhaps this woman knows a thing or two about her body (or maybe not).

When I was in my 20's......I was going to be thin, come hell or high water. My goal was 125 (I'm 5'5"). I got to goal and yet I still had fat thighs. I finally gave up at 106 pounds .... I still had fat thighs.

If I weren't a big chicken I would have liposuction (just on my thighs)....because I know from experience I will never have thin legs. I'm a pear....not everyone has the same body type. My goal for losing weight now, is to look "better"......but I will always wear capris.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Sounds like just another form of fat shaming. It's saying, "it isn't enough to lose weight, you have to do it in the right way too. You have to purge and sacrifice and be in discomfort to purify your past failures."
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    buh9m7dlpui0.jpeg

Heart Attack Grill?
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents.. it's really none of your business and I don't know why you even spend your emotions thinking about it. Focus on you. She can afford it and so be it. Good for her. You are working hard.. good for you.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I swear to salami, if this is your greatest set of worries/concerns/anger-inducing circumstances, you're doing ok in life.
  • melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    Sounds like just another form of fat shaming. It's saying, "it isn't enough to lose weight, you have to do it in the right way too. You have to purge and sacrifice and be in discomfort to purify your past failures."

I'll preface this by stating that what I am about to say has nothing to do with the original post, as I didn't read the whole thing because it was long and boring.

People talk about fat shaming like it's a bad thing. You have the right to eat what you want, and you have the right to get as large and unhealthy as you'd like, but you don't necessarily have the right to have people treat you as if you take care of your body and are a healthy person. If you are obese and are working to get healthy again, I have the utmost respect for you, but if you are obese and are continuing to over consume calories, I have no respect for you because you have no respect for yourself. If you are obese and doing nothing to correct that, or even worse, working on becoming more obese, you should be ashamed, and society should shame you. That's my opinion anyway.

How do you tell? I mean you, personally, how do you tell? How can you tell when looking at someone whether or not they're working to get healthy again?

Shouldn't people, regardless of their health status, be treated with a modicum of courtesy and respect simply because they're people?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    buh9m7dlpui0.jpeg

Heart Attack Grill?

That burger looks good ... it's heaven.