High Blood Pressure and Weight Loss

Options
2»

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have a history of hypertension and currently take Lisinopril, though the main reason I take it is to protect my kidneys from diabetes. It also lowers my BP. I take 5 mg daily and about 35 lbs ago I was still having times where my BP was high. After 35 lbs lost my 5 mg is working beautifully. I'll probably always have to take a low dose of Lisinopril for my kidneys, but I'm hoping to get that cut down to 2.5 mg.

In the past two weeks I've been having some problems with feeling dizzy. I'm wondering if I might be getting close to having my dosage cut.
  • SylviaCherie
    SylviaCherie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a history of hypertension and currently take Lisinopril, though the main reason I take it is to protect my kidneys from diabetes. It also lowers my BP. I take 5 mg daily and about 35 lbs ago I was still having times where my BP was high. After 35 lbs lost my 5 mg is working beautifully. I'll probably always have to take a low dose of Lisinopril for my kidneys, but I'm hoping to get that cut down to 2.5 mg.

Awesome! I've been on hctz/triamterene combo for almost a month and I'm still experiencing side effects. Hoping weight loss will be exactly what I need to get off these meds...I hate the way I feel on them nothing extreme just nagging little side effects.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I was hitting 140/90 regularly for the last few years, and I'm pretty young. My weight is certainly a factor, but I also think my sodium intake has gone way down. My blood pressure reached normal numbers very quickly after losing slightly less than 5% of my starting weight. I'm sure the weight loss had something to do with it, but I started making dietary changes and attempting more physical activity months before I started restricting calories. If I had been older and less heavy, it probably wouldn't have worked out like that, though. Some people just have HBP.