Old Lady Deadlifts 40-50 lbs., 100 + reps!

Options
MelsAuntie
MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
Deadlifts... 40 to 50 lbs., a few 35 lbs., some 70 lbs. About a hundred reps. Plus a great deal of walking around the field from bale to bale, but the hay is in.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    why so much cardio?
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    why so much cardio?

because how else would she pick up the hay bales?
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    awesome!! 70 pounds is a great weigh to work from.

I just deadlifted 145 this week, so excited to use the big girl plates! it has taken a while to work up to it.

somewhatoldish for me.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Did you make sure you used proper form....!?:laugh:
  • MelsAuntie
    Options
    why so much cardio?

because how else would she pick up the hay bales?
    [/quote

Exactly! (big grin). The bales lie in rows in the field as they fall off the baler ( think big metal caterpillar crapping hay bales, for you city folks). You walk from bale to bale picking them up while somebody else drives the truck and hay wagon alongside. You load and stack hay on the wagon, we were 8 rows high. Once loaded, you drive back to the barn, unload them and stack them on pallets. We had three trucks, two wagons and a stock trailer, five men and me, with oncoming rain on the horizon. We got in about 500 bales, rough estimate.Took two hours for my part of it. The actual baling took much longer, with repairs along the way.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts... 40 to 50 lbs., a few 35 lbs., some 70 lbs. About a hundred reps. Plus a great deal of walking around the field from bale to bale, but the hay is in.

Awesome work. But I can't help but worry why 100+ reps? Or was it spread out over a period of time or something?

Still, excellent work with the progress :)

ETA: Sorry it took me a bit but I realized that you meant deadlifting the hay. Good job!!!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

I used to help with that sort of thing. We would put in about 1,500 a day on a good day. Depending on if this was straw, bermuda, fescue, or alfalfa that's a great workout. The alfalfa bales with the wire instead of rope were killer on the hands.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Don't tell the crossfitters, or there will be a run on hayhooks.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I always log my heavy farm work. So far mucking out the chicken coop seasonally burns as many calories as kettlebells. Capturing a swarm burns a good amount. 'Specially if they chase me. :)
  • RoxianneM
    RoxianneM Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Awesome! And tiring, I'm sure. I remember making and loading hay as some of the hardest work I've ever done. And guess what? We just bought a (very small) farm, so I foresee haymaking in my future -- though probably not 100+ bales.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Stacking bales is very hard work! You will be feeling it tomorrow.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Awesome work. But I can't help but worry why 100+ reps? Or was it spread out over a period of time or something?

Still, excellent work with the progress :)

ETA: Sorry it took me a bit but I realized that you meant deadlifting the hay. Good job!!!

There's an old saying, gotta make hay while the sun shines :)
  • MelsAuntie
    Options
    Did you make sure you used proper form....!?:laugh:

Any form that gets the friggin' hay on the friggin' wagon before the rain comes. I can't throw the bales much, or lift higher than three rows up on the flatbed, but I did use my knees and not my back.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Careful, you'll get all bulky. :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,047 Member
    Options
    Yay! You need a farmhand?
  • MelsAuntie
    Options
    Yay! You need a farmhand?

You in mid Michigan?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Don't tell the crossfitters, or there will be a run on hayhooks.

^this

I don't want my gym adding hay bales to the programming. I had enough of that as a scrawny teenager. Putting up 90 pound bales of alligator grass is awful work.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    ( think big metal caterpillar crapping hay bales, for you city folks).

As a city-girl with solid redneck roots, this made me giggle....:laugh:

(Granddaddy made us haul bales as kids....)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I just went back and checked my last dead lift session, and I picked up the bar 42 times.

I did not, however, carry that barbell around and try to toss it into a flat bed or stack it three barbells high.

Touche, Old Lady. Touche.

Signed, other old lady.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! You are gonna be tired tonight, mama!! :)