Are there any ladies here with Hypothyroidism and PCOS?

Options
I have both and feel that having PCOS has affected my weight more than the thyroid condition as I seem to a lot of weight around my midsection. The thyroid condition has just contributed to hair loss and dry skin.

Has these conditions affected your life and weight?

Replies

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of weight gain with my hypothyroidism. Dry skin maybe, but no hair loss.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Here's an interesting pilot study on ketogenic diets for PCOS and metabolic syndrome (the weight gain around the middle). The women who stuck with the program had significant improvements not only in body mass, but in their hormonal levels.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1743-7075-2-35.pdf

I'm hypothyroid and life has been great since I got medication for it, but before that, I spent a decade struggling with severe depression, which was my main symptom.
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    All_Exits_Lead_Within Posts: 47 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Here's an interesting pilot study on ketogenic diets for PCOS and metabolic syndrome (the weight gain around the middle). The women who stuck with the program had significant improvements not only in body mass, but in their hormonal levels.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1743-7075-2-35.pdf

I'm hypothyroid and life has been great since I got medication for it, but before that, I spent a decade struggling with severe depression, which was my main symptom.

Thank you SO much. I have so many symptoms that I don't even know which is causing them. I'm still waiting to get put on medication for my thyroid problem, but I'm on Metformin and Diane35 for PCOS. My biggest problems are dry skin, hair loss (hairline) and more weight around my middle than there should be.

I'm going to read that link now. Anything that could help would be so much appreciated. <3

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    PCOS puts an extra burden on you to take care of yourself with diet and exercise, to avoid those nasty complications, like a higher risk of diabetes. Good luck! The thyroid will probably be relatively easy.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I think it messed up my hunger cues. I honestly thought I gained all that weight for no reason—until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. What a wake-up call! Also, the fatigue means I'm less active.

I lost the weight by following the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    PCOS puts an extra burden on you to take care of yourself with diet and exercise, to avoid those nasty complications, like a higher risk of diabetes. Good luck! The thyroid will probably be relatively easy.

Yeah, PCOS I've found to be much more of a hassle. Thank you for your comments :)
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I think it messed up my hunger cues. I honestly thought I gained all that weight for no reason—until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. What a wake-up call! Also, the fatigue means I'm less active.

I lost the weight by following the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

My biggest problem with hypothyroidism is definitely fatigue. Hair loss and aches and pains in my joints are both a close second. It is easy to lose track of how much you eat when you're body is telling you that you're hungry all the time, I think for me, that may have more to do with insulin resistance from PCOS than thyroid, but I honestly don't know for sure; I'm still trying to figure both of these "conditions" out.

Thanks for sharing advice that helped you lose weight; I'll have a look at that now.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have PCOS - but not thyroid issues. I can tell you that it is true that PCOS makes it so easy to gain weight and SO HARD to lose it. That's the absolute certifiable truth. BUT - you can lose weight with it. It's still dumbfounding to me. I get into these funks where I just hate having to deal with it and having to "work so much harder" than "everybody else" - or at least that's what the food addiction is telling me.

It really is a case of calories in vs. calories out too. A nutritionist told me that if you focus on the protein than the fats/carbs will take care of themselves. I've found that to be true, and that getting in fiber helps a lot too.

This has ended up being what's helped me best....
    1 - log EVERYthing
    2 - focus on the protein. What can I have that's protein, then choose the rest of the meal wisely - do I want a bun or fries or baked potato?
    3 - get your fiber in
    4 - get your water in

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are many people here with both. You might want to do a search to find past discussions that could be of interest.

I have both of these, plus some more serious metabolic issues. I've still been able to (slowly!) lose nearly 100 pounds.
  • jleebone
    jleebone Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have them both too - new to the MFP community and new to being mindful of consumption so it's hard to know if it's really contributing to weight gain. I quit smoking in January ( pack a day for 15 yrs ) which I think has attributed to my gain more than anything but I do have dangerous moments of skewed perception.. Telling myself or thinking in the back of my head that I am powerless over my body and different because of this diagnosis is probably the worst side effect (for me). Those moments are the ones that lead me to overeating or skipping fitness or etc etc etc.

As an alternative I now try to pause when those thoughts arise and ask myself WWBD (ehem, what would Beyoncé do). Beyoncé would tell me i woke up like this, flawless.

We've got this girls.
  • jleebone
    Options
    Also, feel free to add me! Love to support and be supported by other ladies!
  • rebjessja
    rebjessja Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, and it has taken years of tweaking my medication, diet, and exercise to finally get to my goal weight!
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    Options
    cebreisch wrote: »
    Yes. I have PCOS - but not thyroid issues. I can tell you that it is true that PCOS makes it so easy to gain weight and SO HARD to lose it. That's the absolute certifiable truth. BUT - you can lose weight with it. It's still dumbfounding to me. I get into these funks where I just hate having to deal with it and having to "work so much harder" than "everybody else" - or at least that's what the food addiction is telling me.

It really is a case of calories in vs. calories out too. A nutritionist told me that if you focus on the protein than the fats/carbs will take care of themselves. I've found that to be true, and that getting in fiber helps a lot too.

This has ended up being what's helped me best....
    1 - log EVERYthing
    2 - focus on the protein. What can I have that's protein, then choose the rest of the meal wisely - do I want a bun or fries or baked potato?
    3 - get your fiber in
    4 - get your water in

Protein, veggies and (the best) fruits are my main focus. I think people really underestimate the importance of protein. Whether you're vegan, Vegetarian or Omnivore, the right amount of protein is a very important part of weight loss.
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    Options
    Yes, there are many people here with both. You might want to do a search to find past discussions that could be of interest.

I have both of these, plus some more serious metabolic issues. I've still been able to (slowly!) lose nearly 100 pounds.

Wow 100 pounds - congratulations!! That's basically my end goal. I've already lost 15 (started at 238 and I'm now 223).
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    Options
    jleebone wrote: »
    I have them both too - new to the MFP community and new to being mindful of consumption so it's hard to know if it's really contributing to weight gain. I quit smoking in January ( pack a day for 15 yrs ) which I think has attributed to my gain more than anything but I do have dangerous moments of skewed perception.. Telling myself or thinking in the back of my head that I am powerless over my body and different because of this diagnosis is probably the worst side effect (for me). Those moments are the ones that lead me to overeating or skipping fitness or etc etc etc.

As an alternative I now try to pause when those thoughts arise and ask myself WWBD (ehem, what would Beyoncé do). Beyoncé would tell me i woke up like this, flawless.

We've got this girls.

Congratulations on quitting smoking - I never picked up that habit, but I know how hard it is to beat.

I find that having both of these conditions, what really knocks you down and prevents you from feeling like you can do it is the fatigue and aches and pains in my joints. The eating for me hasn't been a problem at all, but exercising - UGGGGGH. lol

(yes, I'll add your now).
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    Options
    rebjessja wrote: »
    I have hypothyroidism, and it has taken years of tweaking my medication, diet, and exercise to finally get to my goal weight!

I'm still waiting for my doctor here in NZ to put me on medication for it (as my doctor in Canada suggested). Gah!

congrats on reaching your goal weight :)
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    Options
    Hi! I'm going to send you a message. I have hypothyroidism and learned I had it after labwork about 15 years ago. I gained a lot of weight in high school despite being very active with playing basketball. I did lose my hair too. I'm going to send you a message with my current regime that really helps me!

Thank you x a million, Kristen. Any help AT ALL for either of these problems is so very much appreciated. xx
  • jleebone
    Options
    I so get it- everyone is a bit different. A good friend of mine suggested cutting out gluten to minimize symptoms. She actually gave me a book called "why do I still have thyroid symptoms" and that is a major argument in the book and a lot of other things I've read and/or spoken with doctors about (specifically relevant for the PCOS overlap). White flour and sugar, insulin imbalances and slow metabolism.. I mean, if you know how your body processes simple carbohydrates it all makes sense. A painful thing to give up when I'm off my healthy eating horse but if I'm sticking with veggies and protein anyway, I often don't even notice the lack of gluten.. Maybe worth a shot?

jleebone wrote: »

We've got this girls.

Congratulations on quitting smoking - I never picked up that habit, but I know how hard it is to beat.

I find that having both of these conditions, what really knocks you down and prevents you from feeling like you can do it is the fatigue and aches and pains in my joints. The eating for me hasn't been a problem at all, but exercising - UGGGGGH. lol

(yes, I'll add your now).

• kars78
    kars78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes i have been diagnosed with pcos and i am having a hard time losing the weight. I workout all the time but i see no results.
  • daniparker10
    daniparker10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Diet diet diet is everything with PCOS. I've been trying to loose weight since I was a teen and diagnosed with PCOS. I finally have an amazing nutritionist who is guiding me and the pounds are just melting away. 8.1 pounds since Sunday. Carbs(from grains) and sugars(white mainly) are hurting your body so much. You could eat perfect but if those two things are still in your diet you won't loose or be successful long. I currently don't eat more than 30g of carbs a day and that doesn't come from any grains. Some veggies, meats &a nuts still have carbs. Feel free to add me!