Quitting Pasta

Options
Is quitting pasta a good idea?

Replies

• michellechawner
    Options
    No need to unless you have a gluten allergy.

I eat it, just less of it. Unless it is a major trigger - there's gluten in bread too, are you quiting that as well?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    With 8% obesity in Italy, they would probably say no. But if you can't control your overall portions and you eat lots of pasta, maybe cut back a little.........moderation maybe.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    wholewheat rather than white pasta but why eat it anyway its full of carb and tastes crap
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    No! :angry:
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Horrible idea IMO.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Pasta's not a bad thing. Control the size of your servings.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I gave it up completely because I felt it was disproportionately too high in calories with too little actual/real nutrition (even the whole wheat; very little fiber, not alot of vitamin contribution). As a replacement (since I make a killer pasta sauce with tons of veggies and lean elk sausage), I buy those bags of pre-made "broccoli slaw." Little shoe-string-like cuts of broccoli. I steam the bag in the microwave about 5 minutes before the sauce is ready, and pour my sauce over half of the steamed broccoli slaw. I save the other half for another meal.

I now like it so much I prefer the steamed broccoli slaw over pasta; there's a nuttier flavor, a better texture (somewhat crunchy but still soft)--I don't miss pasta at all. Also, the difference in calories is like 250 (pasta) v. 25 (broccoli slaw). Win-win.
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You don't need to, but if you're like me, pasta may be a trigger. Every time I measure out the serving size and constrain myself to that, I feel more deprived than if I just didn't have it at all.

I have pasta sauces on quinoa, brown rice, zucchini noodles, bed of wilted spinach, some broccoli, etc, instead. Much more satisfying.

Splurge day occasionally includes a "real" serving (read: giant plate, 4-5 servings) of pasta.

Do what works for you. Moderation. It's a thing. But it's a thing that doesn't work for me 100% of the time.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to give up any food if you enjoy it and aren't allergic to it.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Had pasta today, in fact. Still losing weight. As long as you accurately track how much you're eating, and have room in your calories for it, knock yourself out.
  • jessicafunkyy
    Options
    Quitting white pasta would be a good idea but if you still eat it I doubt it will hinder your weight loss. Less pasta or whole wheat pasta is just healthier.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I haven't really "quit" anything. However there are foods that I avoid because they cause cravings or I have hard time controlling portions.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    With 8% obesity in Italy, they would probably say no. But if you can't control your overall portions and you eat lots of pasta, maybe cut back a little.........moderation maybe.
    This. The problem isn't pasta. The problem is some people have no idea what "1" serving of pasta is. A pound of pasta on its own (typical pasta box) should serve 8 people. Add in other ingredients (meat sauce, veggies, oil, cheese, whatever) and you can easily feed 15 or more people with a pound of pasta.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Quitting white pasta would be a good idea but if you still eat it I doubt it will hinder your weight loss. Less pasta or whole wheat pasta is just healthier.
    Why?
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I love pasta! As I have PCOS i found eating starchy carbs at dinner time not a great idea so I avoid them. But at least once a week I will have starchy carbs with my dinner. I would try and avoid stopping eating it unless it really does hinder your weight loss...and I would never say "im giving up pasta" cos that tends to make me think non stop about it lol...if I go out for dinner....you can guarantee tho I will be having pasta! :)
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    if you love your pasta its a terrible idea because you'll feel like you're depriving yourself. just eat it in a more controlled way :)
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Some kind of pasta dish is dinner for me 3/4 times a week. Even with pasta, I keep that meal to about 400-500 calories so it's not a problem for me to build it in to my calories. Before MFP, my portion was twice the size, lol.

I use 75g of pasta as a portion these days :smile:
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Its not essential to quit it , but I don't eat it any more, there are many other foods available!
  • mgoblue64
    mgoblue64 Posts: 23
    Options
    I gave it up completely because I felt it was disproportionately too high in calories with too little actual/real nutrition (even the whole wheat; very little fiber, not alot of vitamin contribution). As a replacement (since I make a killer pasta sauce with tons of veggies and lean elk sausage), I buy those bags of pre-made "broccoli slaw." Little shoe-string-like cuts of broccoli. I steam the bag in the microwave about 5 minutes before the sauce is ready, and pour my sauce over half of the steamed broccoli slaw. I save the other half for another meal.

What a great idea. I eat the broccoli slaw often. Never thought of doing it that way.
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Your body won't be missing out on much. If you think your mind will, though, then just have less of it.
    Don't understand why everyone's so big on "everything in moderation". Not EVERYTHING is good for you, even in moderation.