Running my first race

Options
I'm going to be running my first race in the beginning of December. I've used the C25K app here and there and plan to use it to get ready. Any tips/suggestions?

Replies

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Run lots. Nothing will prepare you better.
  • kwpirate78
    kwpirate78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How far is your race? Do you have a training plan? Make sure you get fitted for your running shoes. Prepare yourself by cross training on your "off days". Stay well hydrated and eat clean foods. Some say, "I run so I can eat what I want".. Please do not think like that... That's not true!!! What is your goal?
  • HuskyHiker413
    HuskyHiker413 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    How far is your race? Do you have a training plan? Make sure you get fitted for your running shoes. Prepare yourself by cross training on your "off days". Stay well hydrated and eat clean foods. Some say, "I run so I can eat what I want".. Please do not think like that... That's not true!!! What is your goal?

It's just a 5k, my plan is to run outside to get ready for it. I've lost 80 lbs this year and exercise plenty just not outside much. I guess my goal is to finish... If I'm in the bottom half of my age group even better...
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @HuskyHiker413 Congrats on the 80 pounds! I've lost 78 myself this past year and know how great that feels... and it sure makes running easier. :smile:

You've got lots of time before your 5km to build a base and judging by your photo and user name can we assume you don't suffer from joint issues and are the sort that is open to or even enjoys pushing himself? If so, you probably have a good start already. I think you might surprise yourself at where you place in your age group.

As @gdyment said, nothing prepares you for running like running does.

The key is to train at a pace well within your aerobic capacity. If you can carry on something of a conversation while running without gasping between words and sentences then you are running slow enough. If not, slow down. Slowing down delivers all the endurance building benefits you need but also forces your gait to be less harmful to your body, reducing the risk of injury. Slowing down allows you to run longer and it's time on your feet that allows your body to adapt to the stresses.

Secondly, build on your distance progressively. Many will suggest not increasing your mileage per run more than 10% a week. Listen to your body; back off if it starts barking at you.

It's exciting to draw a line in the sand and work towards it! Good luck -- I'm sure you'll do great!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

It's just a 5k, my plan is to run outside to get ready for it. I've lost 80 lbs this year and exercise plenty just not outside much. I guess my goal is to finish... If I'm in the bottom half of my age group even better...

Never say "just" a 5K.....the vast majority of adults in North America would be unable to run 5K non-stop. You've got the right attitude, your goal for your first race is to finish, preferably with a smile on your face for the finish line photo!

Don't worry about speed at this point, build your distance slowly and consider strength training as a cross training activity, specifically hips, glutes & core.....improves injury resistance and running form, lots of great videos on youtube

Here's an example (I like Dave Scott's stuff, he was one of the early Ironman champions...)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MTJPb4-YOmc

I must warn you, 5Ks are a gateway race. You run a few a start seeing times improve and then you start getting crazy ideas about 10Ks, half-marathons, triathlons etc! Running is highly addictive (in a good way)

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Sorry, what are "clean foods" and what do they have to do with running at all?
    Eat whatever your recommended number of calories are on MFP depending on your goals and try and hit your macros. Doesn't matter what you eat. Also eat back at least 50% of the exercise calories if you are only using MFP to tell your calories burnt, eat them all back if you are using a heart rate monitor.

Also, if you have met all your macros and still have calories left over, you can eat what the hell you like, so long as you remain within your calorie goal.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Relax and try to consciously run slow. When you are getting started sometimes the capillaries send signals to your brain that something is "different" and your body interprets it as discomfort... Just relax and know these sensations will go away after several more weeks.

Don't compare yourself to other runners. Experienced runners spend much of their time on their feet running a much much slower pace than they are capable of on race day.

Don't run in during the hottest part of the day outside. It will make it very very hard.