Pasta

Options
is 2 oz. a cup of cooked pasta? I don't have a scale!! And for 210 calories I hope so.

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    is 2 oz. a cup of cooked pasta? I don't have a scale!! And for 210 calories I hope so.

No.

I suggest getting a food scale. ASAP!!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

When you cook pasta the cooking water has been added to the weight. Pasta is weighed dried.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Nope. Dry. You should get a scale.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Just curious--how do you guys measure dry pasta when you are cooking for a whole family? The only way I could figure you could do this is by cooking your portion separately. I always weigh my serving cooked and then make sure to log it as cooked so that I'm being as accurate as possible.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Just curious--how do you guys measure dry pasta when you are cooking for a whole family? The only way I could figure you could do this is by cooking your portion separately. I always weigh my serving cooked and then make sure to log it as cooked so that I'm being as accurate as possible.

Weigh it all, using the recipe builder, weigh it all cooked and then figure out the portions? Something like that. People on here who cook in bulk and have families explain it better. I'm on my lonesome.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Weigh it all, using the recipe builder, weigh it all cooked and then figure out the portions? Something like that. People on here who cook in bulk and have families explain it better. I'm on my lonesome.

Der. Now I feel stupid!

I've used the recipe builder before for soups--it comes in super handy (hahahaha...SOUPER handy). Pardon me, it's Thursday night and my mind is mostly gone. :D
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Der. Now I feel stupid!

I've used the recipe builder before for soups--it comes in super handy (hahahaha...SOUPER handy). Pardon me, it's Thursday night and my mind is mostly gone. :D

lol. My mind is gone too. I've been using MFP for over a year but RARELY use the recipe builder. Not sure why. I think it's probably super handy. souper handy.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Weigh the total amount you're cooking dry, then cook it, then weigh the total cooked amount and just do a ratio. For example, say for a family of 4 you're want to cook 6 servings of pasta so everyone has 1.5 servings to eat. Weigh it dry as 12oz of pasta. Then cook it, then weight it. Say for example the cooked weight of the pasta is 30oz. Divide that amount by 4 giving you 7.5 cooked ounces for you and just log it as 3oz of dry pasta.