Obsessed maybe?

Options
I have just recently started this diet and excerciseing. Can you please check my diary and give me advice? I have over 1300 calories remaining. But I'm so scared of it not working and I won't lose. I'm obsessed. I spend 3 hours + at the gym a day now. UGH! Please help, thanks!

Replies

• WindHauler
    WindHauler Posts: 35
    Options
    My friends who lost tons of weight told me that if I lower my calorie intake to about 1-1.2k of calories a day I'd lose about 3-4 Pounds + a week. They done it, and I saw them. They are the people who made me get off the couch in the first place so to speak. Thanks!
  • blugoogirl
    blugoogirl Posts: 41
    Options
    If you're exercising that much so soon as well as lowering your calorie intake to 1-1.2k a day you will definitely lose weight, and quickly - but I wouldn't say that's healthy. The minimum calorie intake I'd advise per day is 1k, and that's if you are just going about your day to day life, not if your rigorously exercising.

Trust me, I've dieted on and off for years and became quite an expert at what works best and the fastest to lose weight as I've had two eating disorders in the past.

If you're going to exercise 3hours at the gym I'd advise at least 1300kcal a day. Otherwise soon enough you'll be very very tired and cold all the time and your body won't be able to keep up in the gym.
  • WindHauler
    Options
    Well I do want to add I'm not exactly meeting my huge 1300 calorie burn of excercise a day. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to do atleast 1200. Thanks!
  • blugoogirl
    Options
    no problem! :)
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Well I do want to add I'm not exactly meeting my huge 1300 calorie burn of excercise a day. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to do atleast 1200. Thanks!

I agree with Blugoogirl and I know how you feel about fear of no weight coming off, however, if you are adhering to your eating plan and exercising and taking in less calories than you are using up each day, your body will have no choice but to lose weight.

Complete faith in you, go for it!
  • WindHauler
    Options
    Thanks for the informaton and motivation. Same to you aswell! Cheers!
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    I think if you are too obsessed you will be setting yourself up for failure. Sorry to put it bluntly but if you want long term and sustainable weight loss the best way to do it is slow and steady with a balanced diet and an appropriate amount of exercise. Also, you may not loose weight every week and you have to be prepared to not be disappointed if that does happen and you have to carry on with your routine if you do happen to not loose anything or even put on a lb or two in a week. If you are spending 3 hours in the gym please make sure you are eating most of your exercise calories back.
  • blugoogirl
    Options
    That's perfect advise bebbjeb :)
  • WindHauler
    Options
    Thanks!
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    Thanks blu!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Trust me. Whatever MFP says you need to eat to lose 1 lb a week (or 2 if you selected that), you need to eat that. Whatever you exercise, you should eat. Since you're trying to lose 85 lbs, you could get away with not eating ALL your exercise calories, but try eating some of them... if you're hungry and have extra calories, definitely eat them so you're not starving yourself. I know it seems weird...eat more to weigh less, but it does work. When you're working out, you're using energy...which means you have to eat more energy (calories) so you can HAVE energy, to survive, to live, to perform daily activities.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    As a guy you need to eat more calories. Men need 1500-1800 calories a day even doing nothing but sitting. Also, you are 18 and so you are still growing (trust me, you are still growing!) and that takes energy, too (energy=food!).

You REALLY need to read this information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

It's there to help and inform. Use the tools here and you will lose weight in a healthy way.

Another suggestion: eat more vegetables and fresh foods. I know it's early in this for you but you are eating crackers and chips for breakfast! :noway: Protein and healthy (whole grain) carbs are what your body needs in the morning! And LOTS of water! all day long! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Hang in there, we all have to adjust things! Be healthy and don't hurt yourself by making bad decisions, okay?
  • tymaddox
    tymaddox Posts: 9
    Options
    It's really unhealthy that you're this obsessed. That's the first sign of an eating disorder. Be careful!
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Yes, you are obsessed. MFP is very addictive. Although quick weight loss feels good, it is not lasting and that's why you hear so much of yo-yo dieting (when you lose and gain the same amount of weight over and over). I hope you can learn the lesson that has taken me years to understand - you need to make a lifestyle change. Lose weight in a way that you can sustain for the rest of your life. For me, that is aiming for 1 pound a week and eating all foods but watching my portion sizes. I have improved my overall eating by adding more fresh fruits and veges and cutting back (but not eliminating) bad foods. My husband and I go out to eat at least once a week. I don't have time to cook so eat many frozen foods. MFP is designed so that you lose weight even without exercise. If you are going to the gym 3 hours a day, is that something you can sustain for life? I actually find I lose more weight when I keep my exercise light to moderate 30 to 45 min of cardio. When I take long runs (4 to 6 miles), I notice that I stop losing for the week. As you can see, I have lost 51 pounds in 9 months. I feel that I can maintain my eating and exercise habits for life, so that the weight should stay off. Can you say that? I suggest looking for long term, slower weight loss that you can maintain. I wish you the best of luck in reaching your goals.