Should I be eating less than 1,200 calories?

Options
I started off at 11 and a half stone (161 pounds) and when I first started dieting 2 weeks ago I was eating less than 1000 calories in the first week. I did lose a few pounds from that and I now weight about 11 stone 2 pounds. Since then I joined myfitness, was told that I was eating too little, and upped my calories each day to 1,200. But in the week since I started doing that I haven't lost a single pound? It just seems odd to me when I am eating way better than I used too and really keeping track of how many calories I'm eating, yet the scales aren't even going down a pound. Nor does my waist seem any smaller. So should I go back to that first week of eating a lot less, or what is the best option?

Most days I am actually eating more than 1,200 calories because I am now trying to eat a bit extra when I exercise, but I don't think that I'm really overestimating the amount of calories I've burned or anything, so it is ending up at around 1,200 or 1,300 most days, yet I already seem to be stuck on losing any more weight which I didn't expect this early on? I'm fine with slow and steady progress and just losing a pound a week, it's the fact that I seem to have achieved absolutely nothing in the past week that is really disheartening for me when I have made huge changes to my diet and am really trying with exercise as well

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    In a word, no. 1200 is about as low as you should go. It's an OK amount (some will say it is too low, but it is the lowest generally suggested by docs) and you should lose at 1200. If you don't, you either have some rare ailment or your recording of calories isn't accurate.

EDIT - I don't eat back exercise calories. That was not factored in when the docs came up with 1200.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Don't go below 1200. In fact, I bet you could eat more than that and still lose. I eat 1600 calories a day and still lose. Also, when you are this early on in your diet, it's normal to not lose anything. Let your body adjust. When I first began, it took a few weeks before I started losing weight. And it's better to lose it slowly, it will stay off this way.
  • Emisole
    Emisole Posts: 65
    Options
    When I lost 21 pounds last year on MFP, I started at 1330 and didn't lose anything. When I moved up to 1500, 1600, 1700 - that was when I lost 21 pounds. Don't be surprised if you don't see the scale moving the first month. It's not an indication to eat less. In fact, it may be an indication to eat more.
  • Frelling_Tralk
    Frelling_Tralk Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    EDIT - I don't eat back exercise calories. That was not factored in when the docs came up with 1200.

Hmm okay maybe that's where I'm going wrong then, myfitness is just telling me to eat more calories to make up for it when I do add in the exercise I do? I don't burn a lot of calories through exercise though honestly, it's just walking for a few miles and then eating around 200 extra calories those days
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You need to work on patience. It's only been 2 weeks. You do need to eat back your exercise calories since your intake is so low. Use a food scale, log accurately, and be patient. This is not a quick process.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • Frelling_Tralk
    Options
    Also, when you are this early on in your diet, it's normal to not lose anything. Let your body adjust. When I first began, it took a few weeks before I started losing weight. And it's better to lose it slowly, it will stay off this way.

I'm trying to be patient as I knew it would be a matter of slow and steady weight loss, it would just be a lot easier if I had some indication that I had achieved anything at all in the past week and that even a pound was lost. I thought you lost weight more easily early in your diet and it's only later on that it gets hard to shift the final few pounds, so I guess I did kind of picture it as the weight would fall off in the first few weeks when my diet dramatically changes, but maybe that was the wrong assumption
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Also, when you are this early on in your diet, it's normal to not lose anything. Let your body adjust. When I first began, it took a few weeks before I started losing weight. And it's better to lose it slowly, it will stay off this way.

I'm trying to be patient as I knew it would be a matter of slow and steady weight loss, it would just be a lot easier if I had some indication that I had achieved anything at all in the past week and that even a pound was lost. I thought you lost weight more easily early in your diet and it's only later on that it gets hard to shift the final few pounds, so I guess I did kind of picture it as the weight would fall off in the first few weeks when my diet dramatically changes, but maybe that was the wrong assumption

Well, it can be true but if you just started exercise you may be retaining water and since you're only 161 lbs you're probably not that far from a healthy weight for your height (how tall are you?) so that makes it come off more slowly.

Some weeks you'll probably gain too, so just be prepared for that. Weight fluctuates a lot, even in the course of one day. Your scale weight doesn't just tell you how much fat you have, it's also weighing any water you may be retaining and any food in your digestive tract.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options

Did you take measurements around your waist or look for changes in the mirror? Another important thing is to not obsess over the scale. Take pictures of your body and you will see so much difference in no time.
  • BellaVegas
    BellaVegas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The national guidelines in the USA recommend that doctors advise women to eat 1000-1200 calories a week for weight loss. That being said, I dont think there is anything wrong with 1000 cal/ a day. Everybody holds to be true mfp's magical 1200 number, fearful of a "starvation mode" that may or may not exist at that threshold; Mfp does not cite any research sources or supporting evidence.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    So if you really want some answers:

1) It takes your body 2-4 weeks at minimum (more like 2-6 weeks) to adjust to changes in eating. You're trying to reprogram your metabolism to lose weight. That doesn't happen overnight - or even in a week.

2) What is your age, height, current weight, exercise level (how often do you exercise, for how long?) and target weight? We can get a look at your Basal Metabolic Rate and Daily Expenditures (all estimates) and help you set some appropriate goals.

3) Open your diary so we can see what you're eating. There are lots of things that affect weight within 2-5 pounds simply through water (for example, sodium, sugar, working out...)

4) Be patient. There are lots of times the body will drop a few pounds then wait a while...but just from your input here we don't have much idea about how you're going about it.

Hang in there!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    The national guidelines in the USA recommend that doctors advise women to eat 1000-1200 calories a week for weight loss. That being said, I dont think there is anything wrong with 1000 cal/ a day. Everybody holds to be true mfp's magical 1200 number, fearful of a "starvation mode" that may or may not exist at that threshold; Mfp does not cite any research sources or supporting evidence.

What? 1000-1200 a week?
  • Frelling_Tralk
    Options
    Edit
  • Frelling_Tralk
    Options
    So if you really want some answers:

1) It takes your body 2-4 weeks at minimum (more like 2-6 weeks) to adjust to changes in eating. You're trying to reprogram your metabolism to lose weight. That doesn't happen overnight - or even in a week.

2) What is your age, height, current weight, exercise level (how often do you exercise, for how long?) and target weight? We can get a look at your Basal Metabolic Rate and Daily Expenditures (all estimates) and help you set some appropriate goals.

Thank you! I will try and remember that now. I was just so frustrated and thinking that something must be wrong when you hear stories about the weight dropping off at first and it only getting harder later on,so I couldn't understand why I seemed to have stopped losing weight already

I'm in my 30's, I'm 5 feet five inches, and my current weight is 11 stone 2 pounds (156 pounds). My target is 119 pounds. And exercise is what I need to work on more...I don't do anything hardcore at all, I take my dog for 2-3 mile walks most days and try exercising that way, but I am a pretty slow and plodding walker!
  • 55in13
    Options
    What? 1000-1200 a week?
    I am sure it was supposed to be a day. It's good info, so you can only attack the typo/misquote. What is the point in that?
    I am a 54 yo male and I eat below 1200 many days, sometimes below 1000. I rarely eat above 1800, but I am adjusting toward my lightly active TDEE of around 2000 since I will soon be trying to maintain. What has this done to my metabolism? Not a darn thing. I have lost steadily.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    How about hunger? Holy moly! Suggesting to a new person to cut below 1200 calories! For the love of Mike ( yah, I don't know who he is) calculate your TDEE - 20%. Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    What? 1000-1200 a week?
    I am sure it was supposed to be a day. It's good info, so you can only attack the typo/misquote. What is the point in that?
    I am a 54 yo male and I eat below 1200 many days, sometimes below 1000. I rarely eat above 1800, but I am adjusting toward my lightly active TDEE of around 2000 since I will soon be trying to maintain. What has this done to my metabolism? Not a darn thing. I have lost steadily.

When I make the recommendation to eat more it's not about "starvation mode." If you're on 1200 calories you have to be very careful to get adequate nutrition. It's really hard to get enough protein to maintain your muscle while you diet down. And for many people it's not sustainable. My personal belief is that a person should eat at a moderate deficit for adherence and to minimize muscle loss. I also think you should eat as much as you can while still losing weight so that if you do plateau you've got someplace to go.

Also, the link I posted above discusses cortisol, which may help explain why so many people stall out on 1200 calorie diets.

It does work for some, but it's not something I'd generally suggest.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    What? 1000-1200 a week?
    You my dear are my hero

When I make the recommendation to eat more it's not about "starvation mode." If you're on 1200 calories you have to be very careful to get adequate nutrition. It's really hard to get enough protein to maintain your muscle while you diet down. And for many people it's not sustainable. My personal belief is that a person should eat at a moderate deficit for adherence and to minimize muscle loss. I also think you should eat as much as you can while still losing weight so that if you do plateau you've got someplace to go.

Also, the link I posted above discusses cortisol, which may help explain why so many people stall out on 1200 calorie diets.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    What? 1000-1200 a week?

You my dear are my hero

:flowerforyou:
  • 55in13
    Options
    No weight loss plan is sustainable; you would wink out of existence eventually. Whenever anyone pulls that term out, I get the feeling they are trying to win a debate with words instead of substance. Anyway, I still stand by medical science even if you have links to places on the internet that know better.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    No weight loss plan is sustainable; you would wink out of existence eventually. Whenever anyone pulls that term out, I get the feeling they are trying to win a debate with words instead of substance. Anyway, I still stand by medical science even if you have links to places on the internet that know better.

I mean sustainable in terms of the period of time in which you are losing weight. Many people find that eating so little causes them to break and binge.

The link is from Lyle McDonald, who is a pretty well-respected source. Of course you don't have to accept him as a credible resource, but I do.

ETA: It's not my intention to derail this thread with yet another 1200 calorie debate. I've put my POV out there for the OP, so she's got more than one option moving forward.