First Time Bulk Update/Questions

Options
dpr73
dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
So I started my Bulk in the beginning of June. I am 20 years old, male, 5'8, began at approximately 138lbs. I have been lifting for almost 3 years, lost approx 65-70lbs in my first year consistently lifting. Now I am trying to add the strength

I do not count calories; however, I eat on a specified routine and my diet doesn't deviate from this routine most of the time (so my guess is calories, whatever they are, are consistent). I am weighing in around 147.5-148lbs currently. I have seen some great progression in my lifts: max out bench is now at 205 (start at 175), max out squat is approximately 265 same with deadlift (struggled with 245 at the beginning).

I am not exactly sure why, but I am seeing no substantial physique change even though I am up ten pounds and feeling the gains in the gym. My shorts all fit the same (although a few tighter pairs of shorts are tighter in the glute and legs, still same in the waist...perhaps even loser depending on the day), my shirts have no change at all. And I take pictures every once in a while and honestly cannot see any change...except for maybe the arms. In fact, if there is a single thing I notice is that I can finally see a VERY FAINT outline of abs (where they weren't there before) if I contort myself just right, and I in general feel firmer in that region, but I hear you cannot actually gain visible abs while bulking so I have no idea why I am observing this. A VERY spare few people have said they see I have "gotten bigger" in a "good" way, but most hardly seem to have noticed any change.

Is it normal for me not to be seeing such substantial gains after 10 pounds? Or is this evidence of what the weight gain is (obviously it couldnt be complete fat, but is it an indicator of more water weight gained...etc?)

This is my current diet:

Breakfast: Either a moderate sized bagel (packaged at 240-280 cals), two eggs fried in less than a cap full of oil, fruit OR 1.5 cups no fat greek yogurt, a decent scoop (I estimate 3TBSP) PB, a banana and honey, OR PB&J on cinnamon bread with a banana (can't beat it!) OR SPARINGLY a bagel with lox and a small amount of cream cheese with fruit

Snack: This is somewhat flexible, but it usually is very high in protein and I do actively cap the calories here to 250 just to keep things from getting too high

Lunch: Usually a sandwich of chicken salad (with some mayo and sour cream) or tuna salad or just lean cold cut meats paired with some kind of fruit like a peach, apple, grapes, etc

Snack: same as above

Dinner: as high as 9oz of protein a small serving of grain/starch (usually just barely fills a quarter of the plate) and a heaping amount of vegetables. If I cannot fit it on the dinner plate in one serving then I don't eat it essentially

Snack: I usually save this for approx. 1 cup cottage cheese with a drizzle of honey for the casein protein, but sometimes it varies

I also drink on one night during the weekends I don't go nuts but I definitely have about 5-6 beers in a night.

I just want to make sure that things are going right cause I am in my first ever bulking period and don't know what really to expect. I think my diet seems to be fine, and I workout 5 days a week, but I would have thought my clothes would be obviously too small and I would see the changes after 10lbs.

Replies

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    1. How long have you been "bulking" to add the 10 lbs?
    2. What lifting program are you following?
    3. What were your measurements before bulking?
  • jonnyBlift
    jonnyBlift Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough!! You want big gains eat big and not keeping track of not only what but at what time you eat is only selling yourself short... you want to be bigger you have to do what you haven't done before it's that simple.. hope this helps

dpr73 wrote: »
    So I started my Bulk in the beginning of June. I am 20 years old, male, 5'8, began at approximately 138lbs. I have been lifting for almost 3 years, lost approx 65-70lbs in my first year consistently lifting. Now I am trying to add the strength

I do not count calories; however, I eat on a specified routine and my diet doesn't deviate from this routine most of the time (so my guess is calories, whatever they are, are consistent). I am weighing in around 147.5-148lbs currently. I have seen some great progression in my lifts: max out bench is now at 205 (start at 175), max out squat is approximately 265 same with deadlift (struggled with 245 at the beginning).

I am not exactly sure why, but I am seeing no substantial physique change even though I am up ten pounds and feeling the gains in the gym. My shorts all fit the same (although a few tighter pairs of shorts are tighter in the glute and legs, still same in the waist...perhaps even loser depending on the day), my shirts have no change at all. And I take pictures every once in a while and honestly cannot see any change...except for maybe the arms. In fact, if there is a single thing I notice is that I can finally see a VERY FAINT outline of abs (where they weren't there before) if I contort myself just right, and I in general feel firmer in that region, but I hear you cannot actually gain visible abs while bulking so I have no idea why I am observing this. A VERY spare few people have said they see I have "gotten bigger" in a "good" way, but most hardly seem to have noticed any change.

Is it normal for me not to be seeing such substantial gains after 10 pounds? Or is this evidence of what the weight gain is (obviously it couldnt be complete fat, but is it an indicator of more water weight gained...etc?)

This is my current diet:

Breakfast: Either a moderate sized bagel (packaged at 240-280 cals), two eggs fried in less than a cap full of oil, fruit OR 1.5 cups no fat greek yogurt, a decent scoop (I estimate 3TBSP) PB, a banana and honey, OR PB&J on cinnamon bread with a banana (can't beat it!) OR SPARINGLY a bagel with lox and a small amount of cream cheese with fruit

Snack: This is somewhat flexible, but it usually is very high in protein and I do actively cap the calories here to 250 just to keep things from getting too high

Lunch: Usually a sandwich of chicken salad (with some mayo and sour cream) or tuna salad or just lean cold cut meats paired with some kind of fruit like a peach, apple, grapes, etc

Dinner: as high as 9oz of protein a small serving of grain/starch (usually just barely fills a quarter of the plate) and a heaping amount of vegetables. If I cannot fit it on the dinner plate in one serving then I don't eat it essentially

Snack: I usually save this for approx. 1 cup cottage cheese with a drizzle of honey for the casein protein, but sometimes it varies

I also drink on one night during the weekends I don't go nuts but I definitely have about 5-6 beers in a night.

I just want to make sure that things are going right cause I am in my first ever bulking period and don't know what really to expect. I think my diet seems to be fine, and I workout 5 days a week, but I would have thought my clothes would be obviously too small and I would see the changes after 10lbs.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    most likely the reason you are not seeing much change is that you are gaining fat and muscle (new fat covering up some of the new muscle, and it may be evenly distributed making it hard to notice.3

Did you do before and after photos. It is much easier to see changes that way, then looking in the mirror everyday where change is so slow that you wont notice one day to the next.
  • dpr73
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    most likely the reason you are not seeing much change is that you are gaining fat and muscle (new fat covering up some of the new muscle, and it may be evenly distributed making it hard to notice.3

Did you do before and after photos. It is much easier to see changes that way, then looking in the mirror everyday where change is so slow that you wont notice one day to the next.

so i need to lower my calories then? i am averaging close to 1 lb a week (actually a little less).
  • dpr73
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

I am bulking since June 8th. almost 13 weeks...the lifting program is a college lacrosse lifting regiment: it is a progressive cycle program where you lift 68% of your 1RPM for the big lifts and work your way up to repping 3x2 of max out by the end. then back to the beginning.

The trouble (I know its dumb) is I didnt take measurements when I began at all. My clothes all fit the same, even the tight ones. But I have been taking picture which reveal really little change honestly
  • dpr73
    Options
    jonnyBlift wrote: »
    You are not eating enough!! You want big gains eat big and not keeping track of not only what but at what time you eat is only selling yourself short... you want to be bigger you have to do what you haven't done before it's that simple.. hope this helps

This is my current diet:

some indicate that I NEED to count calories religiously and eat a very small surplus, but you're indicating I am not doing enough? I dont get it. I am gaining less than an lb a week. Im not worried about NOT gaining, I'm worried about not really seeing a change besides maybe a tighter core and SLIGHTLY bigger arms after 10 lbs
  • dpr73
    Options
    I can PM a pic of how I look now compared to a few weeks back, unfortunately I don't have anything from the VERY beginning (something from last year where I was 138 is the closest I have)
  • jmule24
    Options

I am bulking since June 8th. almost 13 weeks...the lifting program is a college lacrosse lifting regiment: it is a progressive cycle program where you lift 68% of your 1RPM for the big lifts and work your way up to repping 3x2 of max out by the end. then back to the beginning.

The trouble (I know its dumb) is I didnt take measurements when I began at all. My clothes all fit the same, even the tight ones. But I have been taking picture which reveal really little change honestly

Ok so it sounds like the program is designed to increase 'strength' as you are increasing intensity/ decreasing total volume. Great for any strength program, but not great if your main goal is to change your body composition, i.e. increase muscle size......

You can still make strength gains using a linear hypertrophy program. So use the same scheme as you are now 65-70% of your 1RM. Do 3x8 or 4x8 for your main compound lifts add in some accessory work again 3x8-10, 4x8-10. For your main lifts once you're able to complete all reps and not be at 'failure,' then add 5lbs for Bench & OHP, add 10lbs for Squats & Deadlifts.

Also, something to understand is that adding new muscle doesn't always equate to 'bigger' muscles either. You muscles will get 'thicker/denser' usually before they continue to grow.......

Hope this helps.
  • dpr73
    Options

Ok so it sounds like the program is designed to increase 'strength' as you are increasing intensity/ decreasing total volume. Great for any strength program, but not great if your main goal is to change your body composition, i.e. increase muscle size......

You can still make strength gains using a linear hypertrophy program. So use the same scheme as you are now 65-70% of your 1RM. Do 3x8 or 4x8 for your main compound lifts add in some accessory work again 3x8-10, 4x8-10. For your main lifts once you're able to complete all reps and not be at 'failure,' then add 5lbs for Bench & OHP, add 10lbs for Squats & Deadlifts.

Also, something to understand is that adding new muscle doesn't always equate to 'bigger' muscles either. You muscles will get 'thicker/denser' usually before they continue to grow.......

Hope this helps.

So why is the likely increase in weight? Fat? Again, if you need Pics I have a few that I took since last month. I'm also curious about BF%
  • jmule24
    Options

Hope this helps.

So why is the likely increase in weight? Fat? Again, if you need Pics I have a few that I took since last month. I'm also curious about BF%

Your consistent weight gain is because you're in a caloric surplus............... What the actual breakdown of your 10lbs is, honestly, no-one on here can give you what that is.

Please take this next statement as constructive..........

You either do not understand the difference between strength gains vs. muscle gains or have a warped perception thinking that because I have increased my strength, that I must be getting bigger muscles......... not the case...sorry.

So my guess is 2-3 lbs water weight, 2-3 lbs glycogen stores, 3-5lbs of muscle gain.

Lastly, while 10lbs of fat weighs the same as 10lbs of muscle if you 'add' that to the same person the added fat is going to be more noticeable than the 10lbs of muscle.
  • dpr73
    Options

Hope this helps.

Your consistent weight gain is because you're in a caloric surplus............... What the actual breakdown of your 10lbs is, honestly, no-one on here can give you what that is.

You either do not understand the difference between strength gains vs. muscle gains or have a warped perception thinking that because I have increased my strength, that I must be getting bigger muscles......... not the case...sorry.

So my guess is 2-3 lbs water weight, 2-3 lbs glycogen stores, 3-5lbs of muscle gain.

Lastly, while 10lbs of fat weighs the same as 10lbs of muscle if you 'add' that to the same person the added fat is going to be more noticeable than the 10lbs of muscle.

I think my perception is probably warped. I thought that you can't gain strength without muscle gain so I thought I was gaining muscle but unsure of the amount of it given that I look no different at all.

• erickirb
    Options

Hope this helps.

I think my perception is probably warped. I thought that you can't gain strength without muscle gain so I thought I was gaining muscle but unsure of the amount of it given that I look no different at all.

A lot of strength gain is due to the Central Nervous System getting better (more efficient) with a movement pattern. gaining muscle will also lead to strength gain.

I would like to point out that as a relative beginner you will gain size and strength on a strength based program. Hypertrophy programs are great to gain size and some strength after you have a solid base to build from, which is best achieved from a strength program such as strong lifts, starting strength, etc. once you max out on strength gains after a few cycles you may want to switch to a hypertrophy program or run a hybrid, such as 5/3/1 for the main lifts and do accessory lifts in the 8-15 rep range for growth, best of both worlds.
  • jmule24
    Options

Hope this helps.

A lot of strength gain is due to the Central Nervous System getting better (more efficient) with a movement pattern. gaining muscle will also lead to strength gain.

I would like to point out that as a relative beginner you will gain size and strength on a strength based program. Hypertrophy programs are great to gain size and some strength after you have a solid base to build from, which is best achieved from a strength program such as strong lifts, starting strength, etc. once you max out on strength gains after a few cycles you may want to switch to a hypertrophy program or run a hybrid, such as 5/3/1 for the main lifts and do accessory lifts in the 8-15 rep range for growth, best of both worlds.

OP - states he's been lifting for 3 years now. IMO - he's going to see much less muscle gain on a 'true' stength based program. 5x5 is actually more of hypertrophy program once you add in accessory work to it.

OP - Everything else he has said is right..... That is why many people maintain and/or gain strength while in a calorie deficit. The theory has always been a larger/bigger muscle has the potential to be stronger...... if you're not following a progressive overload program than you wont get any stronger even though you may develop bigger muscles....eventually you'll plateau with muscle gain as well lifting the same amount of weight....
  • dpr73
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help! My final question: why am I noticing a firmer core and starting to barely obtain visible abs even with the increase in my weight? Is there a reasonable explanation here?
  • dpr73
    Options

Hope this helps.

OP - states he's been lifting for 3 years now. IMO - he's going to see much less muscle gain on a 'true' stength based program. 5x5 is actually more of hypertrophy program once you add in accessory work to it.

OP - Everything else he has said is right..... That is why many people maintain and/or gain strength while in a calorie deficit. The theory has always been a larger/bigger muscle has the potential to be stronger...... if you're not following a progressive overload program than you wont get any stronger even though you may develop bigger muscles....eventually you'll plateau with muscle gain as well lifting the same amount of weight....

So to summarize: I am probably gaining some muscle but small muscle gain is not as noticeable as pure fat gain. My program will work for muscle gain but isn't exactly ideal. Finally, my strength could be a combo of muscle memory and true strength gains but is not necessarily directly related to my increase in scale weight.
  • jmule24
    Options

Hope this helps.

So to summarize: I am probably gaining some muscle but small muscle gain is not as noticeable as pure fat gain. My program will work for muscle gain but isn't exactly ideal. Finally, my strength could be a combo of muscle memory and true strength gains but is not necessarily directly related to my increase in scale weight.

YES!!!!!! Now we're cooking with gas!!!!!
  • erickirb
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hope this helps.

He is not a regular, lifting 3 years of doing one week on and 3 weeks off does not make regular lifting. To me that is still novice.
  • jmule24
    Options

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help! My final question: why am I noticing a firmer core and starting to barely obtain visible abs even with the increase in my weight? Is there a reasonable explanation here?

Focusing on compound lifts puts a lot of work-load on your core. You may be developing more muscle in your abs and what not. You may naturally be leaner in your midsection than others. It's no differnt, even though I'm gaining weight right now too, my arms still look very lean as I tend to carry my weight in my midsection/love handle areas. My legs have probably gained the most amount of muscle they look more defined in my bulk than my previous cut. Just tells me things are progressing well and to ignore my abdomen weight gain. It's all a part of the process....
  • dpr73
    Options

Hope this helps.

Ha! So also, do you know someone I can PM to get a good approximation of my body fat %? I don't have any resources around me at my small college to currently do it and would just like a ball park of where I am. I can't see abs at all and never could at my lightest, but everyone tells me I am wry lean and skinny so i don't exactly know
  • erickirb
    Options

Hope this helps.

Ha! So also, do you know someone I can PM to get a good approximation of my body fat %? I don't have any resources around me at my small college to currently do it and would just like a ball park of where I am. I can't see abs at all and never could at my lightest, but everyone tells me I am wry lean and skinny so i don't exactly know

Your actual BF% does not matter. look in the mirror, at pics. pay attention to how close fit. There are very few accurate ways to calculate BF%, pic one, even the army one, and use it as a baseline, just don't take the actual BF% figure as a "truth"