Interesting piece for people who sometimes binge

Options
I thought someone else might find this piece as interesting as I did. It's a study of the development of insulin resistance. The study is small, but well designed. The key finding that I think is relevant here is that the volunteers - who were sedentary, completely monitored, and fed 6000 calories a day for a week - were striking. Yes, they gained weight (probably a lot of bloat too.) But after just TWO DAYS of overeating, they showed signed of oxidative stress. That, in turn, leads to insulin resistance.

To me that suggests that normal variations in calories every day are probably just fine. But if you are in the habit of being very sparse with your eating most of the time and then seriously bingeing every weekend, you could be setting yourself up for screwing up your metabolism. All that extra food seriously stresses your body. Obviously that's bad for your health - I come from a family of diabetics, so trust me, I know. Short term, your weight will be fine. But long term, the insulin resistance will screw that up too.

Just one study, but something to consider.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/scientists-fed-volunteers-6000-calories-day-better-understand-diabetes

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    That is interesting. I sometimes fall into this camp. I would be curious to see if they could control for the effects of adding some exercise into the mix.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Good post, thanks!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Two days of eating 6000 calories. Can any of us even eat that much in one day anymore, even less two?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Two days of eating 6000 calories. Can any of us even eat that much in one day anymore, even less two?

We can try.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Easy. Eat those "empty calorie" foods that aren't "satiating".

Is the TLDR binge eating causes IR/diabetes?
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Honestly?
    Check the nutrition labels in some of the packagings at a supermarket and you'll see it can be EASILY done.
    Who has NEVER finished a whole pack of biscuits in one sitting? That's quite a few calories...bet you also had dinner/lunch and a snack as normal.

How about sandwiches from the supermarket? Some have 700 cals...a cream cheese bagel? Almost 600...
    Then think you'd add something sweet with your coffee like a muffin - another 300.

It's easy to do when you're not aware of the calories.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it, but I've seen posts here from people who say they do. A piece of carrot cake from Cheesecake factor is 1500. Have one of their over-the-top sandwiches and you're at 3000. And that's just lunch.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    andyluvv wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »

Honestly?
    Check the nutrition labels in some of the packagings at a supermarket and you'll see it can be EASILY done.
    Who has NEVER finished a whole pack of biscuits in one sitting? That's quite a few calories...bet you also had dinner/lunch and a snack as normal.

How about sandwiches from the supermarket? Some have 700 cals...a cream cheese bagel? Almost 600...
    Then think you'd add something sweet with your coffee like a muffin - another 300.

It's easy to do when you're not aware of the calories.

Man I don't know. I ate 4500 calories at Thanksgiving and Christmas and I was borderline sick. Couldn't eat much at all the day after Christmas either. Most of the calories came from pie... although I guess it's more filling than cookies but even then... I honestly can't imagine eating 6000 calories in one day anymore.

Remember too that those guys were fed a 'typical American diet' so I doubt it was only cookies... probably fries, burgers, ice cream etc... which I can't imagine eating 6000 calories of either!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    lol i think i could
    I love almonds and can eat a whole bag ( close to 1000 calories) just like that. np at all
    I love avocados... close to 300 each lol
    Add some other high calorie dense food ( and this isn't even junk food) and walla.

lol some stampot with gravy ( Dutch dish) is easily 700 to 1000 calories for not that much of a portion

So yes when i would i could hehehe

95069916.png

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    i just dont :)
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I can binge 6-8k cals in a day. 12 donuts to start, a whole tub of ice cream or gelato, cheesecakes or other types of desserts and im there. Done it many times...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I can eat 6000+ calories per day. Maybe not as easily as I used to, but I still can.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Overeating for two days puts my binges to shame. A binge for me is eating the whole chocolate bar, or going out for tacos for dinner when I only have 400 calories left.