Avocado recipes....

Options
2»

Replies

• chelley_79
    chelley_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a good avacodo recipe that doesn't taste so...avacodo-y? I know there are MANY health benefits to avacodas but I really don't like the taste. (also dnt like guacamole) Any good recipes you care to share? They must NOT contain tree nuts or mushrooms due to allergies...

I so agree... yuck, but I have some in the fridge and have been staring at them wondering what the heck to do with them!! LOL
  • sassyfrass9
    sassyfrass9 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mamamalaika
    mamamalaika Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Ripe avocado mushed up, sweetened with honey and milk. Like an avocado dessert if you will, passed down to me from my grandma.
  • edvital
    edvital Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    er...before we all get too carried away with the supposed health benefits, have you had a look at the calorie content?
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    er...before we all get too carried away with the supposed health benefits, have you had a look at the calorie content?

Well that's a ridiculous comment.
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    PennStateChic- That sounds fabulous......
  • Bama56
    Bama56 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    puree them up then separate it up by tablespoons and freeze. tastes awesome in a smoothie with bananas and spinach.
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options

I know that they fairly high in calories, but the healthy monounsaturated fats, fiber, vitamins and other nutrients make it a really good addition to just about everyone's diet. If you are watching calories strictly, just stick to a smaller serving :)
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bump. Also not a huge fan of the flavour but would like to try and eat more if possible.
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Just had a slice of Burgen soya and linseed bread toasted spread with mashed avocado, a sprinkle of ground black pepper and two rashers of streaky bacon grilled on top. My first taste of avocado and I enjoyed it :drinker:
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    puree them up then separate it up by tablespoons and freeze. tastes awesome in a smoothie with bananas and spinach.

Interesting! I was looking for ways to freeze avocado the other day after I realized I had a surplus (hard to believe, I know!). Does it not turn brown?
  • Bama56
    Bama56 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    add some lemon or lime juice (~1 tbsp for each avocado) into the processor when you puree it, and that will prevent it from turning brown.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I first ate avocados in France where we just cut them in half, sprinkled a bit of salt, and then squeezed half a lemon on them to fill the hole and scooped the flesh out with a teaspoon. Now I have an avocado cutter, which slices them and I stir them into salad.