All about fruits

Options
EMDelgado
EMDelgado Posts: 3 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hello! I recently tried this. Fruit smoothie for breakfasts, salad for lunch and chicken for dinner. Snacking on fruits all day. But i felt incredibly ill after two weeks. I lost five pounds 120 to 115. I want to stay at 115 but I realized that consuming excessive amount of fruits all day eventually made me feel horrible. No energy and weak. Does anyone know why that is? I think fruits only really help me out around 6pm. But is it ideal to eat fruit that late in the day?

Replies

• Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You lost weight because you were eating less calories than you were before you started eating fruit. The fruit didn't make you lose weight. Less calories made you lose weight. So don't eat fruit if it makes you feel ill. You can look at the total calories you were eating and then find other foods that have the same calories as your fruit smoothie, salads, chicken, etc.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    Why assume that feeling ill was due to eating more fruit and not to eating so few calories (2.5 lbs a week, or more than 2% of your body weight -- far faster than most people will recommend, especially for someone already at a low starting weight).
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Why assume that feeling ill was due to eating more fruit and not to eating so few calories (2.5 lbs a week, or more than 2% of your body weight -- far faster than most people will recommend, especially for someone already at a low starting weight).

Yes, I had this same thought! I I didn't want to make assumptions. OP, the description of your diet doesn't sound like enough calories. You need to eat a minimum of 1200 calories a day. I tried to look at your diary before I posted, but it was not open.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    What was your carb : fat : protein ratio during this time? I suspect the problem wasn't the fruit per se, but by eating so much fruit, you weren't eating enough calories/fat/and/or protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    EMDelgado wrote: »
    Hello! I recently tried this. Fruit smoothie for breakfasts, salad for lunch and chicken for dinner. Snacking on fruits all day. But i felt incredibly ill after two weeks. I lost five pounds 120 to 115. I want to stay at 115 but I realized that consuming excessive amount of fruits all day eventually made me feel horrible. No energy and weak. Does anyone know why that is? I think fruits only really help me out around 6pm. But is it ideal to eat fruit that late in the day?

maybe it's because that would be like hardly any calories...also, it's hardly a balanced diet...fruit has some good nutrition to it, but you need protein and dietary fat.

also, i would personally suggest a greater ratio of veg to fruit...i keep my fruit to around 3 servings per day and i eat around 6 servings of veg per day. i also eat protein and dietary fat at every meal.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    That ones easy - too much fructose!!!
  • EMDelgado
    EMDelgado Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think the calories would have been it. I would barely hit 1000-1100. But my grams of sugars were always up the roof so I thought maybe that was it. My macros were crazy too, high high carbs low fat medium protein.

I don't think you can see my diary because I changed phones? Not sure.

Now I feel my stomach shrink because I am filled right away and hardly get hungry. Thank you for the advice I really need to up my cals. :(
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, up your cals and you will feel a whole lot better. Trade out some of those fruit for fats. Like some nut butter with the apples, hummus with olives, cheese with grapes, or feta with watermelon.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    That ones easy - too much fructose!!!

go away...
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    EMDelgado wrote: »
    I think the calories would have been it. I would barely hit 1000-1100. But my grams of sugars were always up the roof so I thought maybe that was it. My macros were crazy too, high high carbs low fat medium protein.

I don't think you can see my diary because I changed phones? Not sure.

Now I feel my stomach shrink because I am filled right away and hardly get hungry. Thank you for the advice I really need to up my cals. :(

and eat some fat and more protein...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Yes, up your cals and you will feel a whole lot better. Trade out some of those fruit for fats. Like some nut butter with the apples, hummus with olives, cheese with grapes, or feta with watermelon.

Nom nom nom!