Strength vs Endurance for Weight Loss

Options
The topic of whether strength training or cardio is better for weight loss comes up fairly often. I've seen alot of conflicting advice on which exercise form is better and at what times. I came across an article about this study, which I thought would be of interest:

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-04-strength-endurancedoes-obesity.html
"The present study shows that, when adhered to alongside a hypocaloric diet, different exercise training programs (endurance, strength, or their combination) or the following of physical activity recommendations are equally efficient in terms of improving body weight and body composition variables in obesity management."

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    One thing to note is that the study was only of a "22 week program". I haven't read the study, but I assume most of the participants still had a significant amount of weight to lose at the end of the program, so their bodies still had a pretty decent fat reservoir to draw from. Strength training for muscle sparing is going to become more important the closer one gets to goal weight.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    You don't need either, just a calorie deficit.
    That being said I agree with @hill8570 last sentence which is why I lift heavy.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You don't need either, just a calorie deficit.
    That being said I agree with @hill8570 last sentence which is why I lift heavy.

+1

/thread
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    OP

Cardio and Endurance training are not the same.

Cardio would be riding 20 miles as fast as you can.

Endurance would be riding 50 at >17 mph

50 calories per mile at 20 max exertion miles

40 at 50 miles at moderate exertion level

1000 calories vs 2000 calories burn

Just a matter of how much you eat back.

I heading out for 30 miles after work for 1200 calories burnt. I eat back probably 25% of exercise calories.

I go for endurance to burn fat with limited calories.

Sprint 20 miles at a smaller defecit for some calorie burn but cardio / anaerobic conditioning.

Some exercises are just good for you to do, not just for weight loss. Blasting some intense cardio lowers your resting heart rate which is good all by itself.

Resistance training is also good and wel covered by others

Good luck and stick with it!