Any experience with arthritis and running?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
Just came back from the dr after an MRI on my ankle. What we thought was "only" an achilles tendonitis was also covering the pain from arthritis, which the dr assumes started after a serious injury from a car accident 20 years ago and has now progressed enough to cause pain. I was told to start taking glucosamine, schedule a new round of physical therapy and expect injections in the future. I was also encouraged to keep walking and swimming, got cleared for lifting, was told to forget high impact gym classes and sports. Problem is that until a year ago, I was a runner. The dr does not think that trail running will be a good idea ever again, but he told me that otherwise I should be able to run again still, although probably not until my old age and to absolutely not push through the pain. Anyone has experience with running while suffering from arthritis? Is it possible? Does it make things worse? How does it progress?

Replies

• happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm only 28 but have severe hip pain from time to time (beginning around age 24) due to being born with hip dysplasia, and was told from an early age that I'd probably get arthritis pretty young. I also developed plantar fasciitis so sometimes my entire left leg is a problem. Not sure if totally related to your situation, but when I'm having hip issues and I try to run a little - I simply can't. A few steps in, and the impact pain puts my run at a screeching halt. Sorry to hear about your ankle. Staying active consistently and walking a lot seems to help, and the really bad episodes are farther apart now, but I simply can't run anymore :(
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You don't say the type of arthritis--osteo or rheumatoid or other--but running can contribute towards degeneration (osteo) and inflammation(rheum) and many other issues. I encourage you to follow doc advice and request referral to phys therapy. Good luck.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You don't say the type of arthritis--osteo or rheumatoid or other--but running can contribute towards degeneration (osteo) and inflammation(rheum) and many other issues. I encourage you to follow doc advice and request referral to phys therapy. Good luck.

Sorry, osteo.