Should I be exercising? TRAINER TOLD ME NO?

Options
Here's the deal; I want to be fit. So I was overweight, and I wanted to basically lose weight and build muscle. And I realized that you had to lose weight and THEN build muscle, so I kept on losing, and losing and losing, so I thought, okay now it's time to build muscle; I ENDED UP LOSING EVEN MORE!!!! I lost to the point where my body fat percentage was 6% and it's not the body fat that's the issue it was the MUSCLE I was losing, everyday I was lifting more and more and getting weaker and weaker! I did not have the goal of looking like a skeleton and losing my period; yet here I am, now I'm being told that I will actually GAIN muscle if I avoid exercise because the muscles build resting, and because I have like no muscle and no fat; I have to wait for my fat percentage to go up to at least 16 before I can start lifting, and I was told to avoid cardio, is this true? Is the answer to this basically "eat a lot and dont exercise" in a world where people are told they have to exercise and eat less to gain muscle, I'm being told "literally stay away from physical activity because all you'll do is lose more muscle." Is this right? Will avoiding exercise until I get my body fat up actually help me build muscle? At what body fat for a female is ideal for if I want to lift weights and do cardio?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I see your account is deactivated. If your weight is this low, you are not eating nearly enough to be doing serious exercise. You will have to put on more weight before it is safe.

Let go of the idea of cardio for a while. You can lift light weights, and you don't have to go to the gym to do that.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Please get medical help, you are describing an eating disorder. You can do no exercise until you start recovering.