Fried Tofu

How bad is fried tofu for you? It tastes so good fried!

Replies

• violetvy
    violetvy Posts: 33
    How bad is fried tofu for you? It tastes so good fried!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    depends on how you fry it

use a skim milk cheese or whole milk white cheese, olive oil, coconut oil, parm cheese sprinkle, soy flour, season with garlic or onion powder and even better yet, stir fry it with veggies......

It is so good......
  • violetvy
    I was fryin until it got nice and crispy, which is so yummy...but I think not very good for the fat count?
    I stuffed it with chili, lemongrass, and seasoned salt, then fried it up. Your recipe sounds yummy. I've heard people baking tofu? Do you get a crisp from that?
  • violetvy
    I was fryin until it got nice and crispy, which is so yummy...but I think not very good for the fat count?
    I stuffed it with chili, lemongrass, and seasoned salt, then fried it up. Your recipe sounds yummy. I've heard people baking tofu? Do you get a crisp from that?
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member

I have never baked it, hummm, mabe too watery for that???
  • violetvy
    Or how about grilling it? Maybe on a forman grill...i wonder how that would turn out...
  • pete
    pete Posts: 76 Member
    it is quite good on the grill.
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    I bake it. First you have to put it between two cutting boards with a book on top to get the water out (this takes about an hour. Then i marinate it in garlic, ginger, some soy sauce whatever for like 45 minutes and then you bake it in the oven for like an hour for 375 or 400 degrees. It is so delicious an firm and it keeps pretty much all week. I bring it to lunch with veggies and rice for the rest of the week. Just make a big pot of brown rice and switch the veggies up so you don't get bored. All together the lunch is under 300 calories and includes a whole cup of rice, a serving of tofu and tons of veggies.
  • violetvy
    That sounds delicious! and a lot less fattening than the fried tofu!

Yesterday I had 9 oz of fried tofu which equaled to abou 700 calories!!
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    It is delicious. I eat it cold when i get home from the gym. A small piece will really hold you over unitl dinner. You can buy a whole thing of tofu, rice and veggies, garlic, ginger, soy sauce for under $10 and it will give you 5 lunches. Eating healthy does not have to be expensive.