What to do?

Options
sissiluv
sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
So I've been having trouble getting my heart rate over 150bpm lately. I jog at around 10/12kpm on my stair stepper with two three pound weights for 25 mins at a time (usually I try to do this twice a day). I can be sweating like a pig with everything dripping but the most I'll get up to lately is 160.

I have tried to get my legs to go faster...but then my arms slow down and vice versa if I try to make my arms go harder! And I don't have room to do much else BUT the stepper.

Any suggestions on what to do? Or should I not even worry about it?

(BTW I am 23, 5'10 and weigh 190lbs right now if you need to know)

Thanks~

ETA I don't use a HRM, I just take it manually and then plug it into a calculator to find calories burned.

Replies

• sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but if you're sweating and still getting in a workout then I wouldn't worry about it. If it bothers you that much then go see a doctor. What about running on a treadmil??? I know that can get my HR up faster than the elliptical or bike. Good luck!:smile:
  • sissiluv
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but if you're sweating and still getting in a workout then I wouldn't worry about it. If it bothers you that much then go see a doctor. What about running on a treadmil??? I know that can get my HR up faster than the elliptical or bike. Good luck!:smile:
    Thank you! Unfortunately I don't have room or enough money for a treadmill...but if I go to the gym that'll be right up there to try! Thanks!
  • sissiluv
    Options
    Anyone else? c:
  • mkkhoza
    mkkhoza Posts: 79
    Options
    yes I would agree as well, I am no doc. but I wouldn't worry about your heart rate not getting up. You may have a lower base...as long as you feel exerted that is key...IMHO
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to raise your heartrate higher, circuit training might be of use. Nerdfitness.com has a few good circuit workouts that can be done at home with no equipment, so it's ideal for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money. The goal is to do as many reps as you can safely do in the allotted time, so you can get a good workout every time.