Running fuel

Options
I need tips!
I am a 21 year old training for a half marathon. I'm getting up to 7-8 mile runs now and The minimum daily is 4 miles. So I'm doing about 20 per week.

I am just not getting enough calories and bonking on my runs. Anyone have ideas for cheap healthy fuel?

My daily foods ranges a bit but for example-
Breakfast of grape nuts or frosted mini wheats and a banana.
Lunch- PB and J or egg salad on killer daves good seed bread with carrots and a string cheese.
Snack (some days) apple and Greek yogurt
Dinner- Mexican rice bowl with avocado

Any suggestions?
I suppose nuts would be good to add, they are just expensive for a college kid.

Replies

• FitnessasmyWitness
    Options
    Nope. I just don't eat too much meat. Once or twice a week max.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds. Raisins. Canned beans. Pasta and cheese. Rice and lentils. Baked potato with topped with beans or cheese. Canned re-fried pinto beans have a good amount of calories.
    Fried rice with green peas: http://pinchofyum.com/best-10-minute-veggie-fried-rice
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Have a few tablespoons of peanut butter with a cup of coffee and a banana before you go running. Great calorie boost and prework out.
  • FitnessasmyWitness
    Options
    I read that pretzels, granola with fruit, an a bit of Gatorade are good snacks for during runs. Loaded up on that today at the grocery store.

Have peanut butter and have been eating more potatoes and whatnot.

Thanks guys!
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Add in plant based protein powder , maybe mash it up with that morning banana?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    How many calories per day are you eating?
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am training for a marathon which is in two weeks. Before my long runs I eat oatmeal with some Greek yoghurt and fruit. Alternatively a bagel with some soft cheese and an egg. After the run I have some protein powder and again eat one of the above. On long run days (after the run) I try to get as much protein into my body as possible. The day before I concentrate on carbs, e.g. pasta. During my long runs I fuel every 30 minutes with gels.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is a good, cheap source of sustained energy.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

That's my question. You shouldn't be having trouble with the distances you're running unless you're at a significant deficit.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

That's my question. You shouldn't be having trouble with the distances you're running unless you're at a significant deficit.

Bonk once and it is indicative of an off day. Bonk repeatedly and it is indicative of failing to properly fuel overall.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Bonk once and it is indicative of an off day. Bonk repeatedly and it is indicative of failing to properly fuel overall.

OP seems to be aware of that, given that he said above he knows he's not getting enough calories.

The food mentioned in her first post isn't a lot for a sedentary person. Add in 400-800 net calories from running (based on a 150 lb person running four to eight miles per day) and the overwhelming deficit is glaring. Hence the very simple question of how many calories per day is she eating ... from there we can delve into if it is net or gross, what her weekly loss goal is, etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

This.

You don't need to be eating on the run. You need to be eating enough overall.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

^^^^ this. I run about 9k three times a week - at about 11am each time.

I generally will not eat before I run, but I do normally have about 500ml of Gatorade and a couple of dextro tables.

Then I drink plenty of water during and after I run.