About the women's weight lifting books

Options
cnbbnc
cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
I would like to buy one but I'm on a budget, so I want to make sure I get one that's right for me. I only have access to machines...no free weights. Are any of them useful for this?

Or does anyone know a good place to look for guidance?

Replies

• madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just to make sure: Have you checked your local library to see if they have anything useful?
    Mine has most of the NRoL books and a number of others, so it's worth a look.

Also, I honestly don't think I've ever seen a strength training book which focused on machines. They probably exist, but I have never seen one or heard one recommended. Generally, I would prefer body weight exercises over machines, which a few exceptions (cable exercises in particular).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    madammags wrote: »
    Just to make sure: Have you checked your local library to see if they have anything useful?

Also, I honestly don't think I've ever seen a strength training book which focused on machines. They probably exist, but I have never seen one or heard one recommended. Generally, I would prefer body weight exercises over machines, which a few exceptions (cable exercises in particular).

Agreed, if you're not going to use free weights-might as well do body weight exercises instead. There's Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym.

If that doesn't float your boat...I'd say find access to free weights.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'll have to look around. A few books were mentioned here so I thought I would ask. My apartment complex has a gym, but it's all machines so that's what I've been using....
  • arditarose
    edited September 2015
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I'll have to look around. A few books were mentioned here so I thought I would ask. My apartment complex has a gym, but it's all machines so that's what I've been using....

None of the true lifting books/programs will be able to be done on machines. The Strong Curves book does have a bodyweight program though, that might be useful. You'd get to run the body weight program, plus you'd get a chance to read and look at the program using free weights and decide if it's worth changing gyms.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Do a web search for a programme. You don't need a specific 'woman's' routine. Any routine that incorporates some of the machines that are available to you, would be beneficial. Free weights are the preferred method of lifting, but if machines are all that are available, use them.
    You may want to work in some improvised squats and dead lifts just to round out the programme. If you are new to both lifts you can start with gallon milk jugs filled with water.
    Planks and push-ups need no extra equipment, but will help in your core development.

Also, look at the free weight programmes on line and see how you could adapt them for the machines you have available.

Sorry I couldn't be more use; I hope someone else can. Until then, work with what you have.
    Oh, maybe post a list of the machines available, or that you are interested in using, that may help.

Cheers, h.
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    madammags wrote: »

Agreed, if you're not going to use free weights-might as well do body weight exercises instead. There's Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym.

If that doesn't float your boat...I'd say find access to free weights.

Why is this flagged?