Cardio to strength training ratio?

Options
Hey guys. So currently, I go to the gym around 4-6 times a week depending on if I'm feeling lazy or not. The "rota" I guess I would call it that I train to goes Cardio - Cardio - Strength - Rest. I sometimes take a rest day in between the 3 workout days as well but that's generally how I go about my exercise.

Since I'm in a deficit at the moment, I'm not looking to gain muscle, but I would like to retain some as I lose weight. For the last 3 weeks, I'd been doing nothing but cardio just to kickstart my fat loss (or maybe I lost some muscle there as well).

So in terms of burning fat and keeping muscle mass, what ratio of strength training to cardio days would you recommend? Or what do you currently do? If people didn't get what I said earlier, I do 2 cardio days followed by a strength day and then I'll rest.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You'll want a 3 day, full body lifting program. The cardio is up to you, though maybe someone else can be more helpful as I do not do it. One day of lifting isn't going to cut it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Cardio is so over rated. Lift heavy! SNORT.

Ok seriously, one should cardio a couple of times a week. Devote the rest to lifting.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    For the last 3 weeks, I'd been doing nothing but cardio just to kickstart my fat loss (or maybe I lost some muscle there as well).

Almost certainly...

So in terms of burning fat and keeping muscle mass, what ratio of strength training to cardio days would you recommend? Or what do you currently do? If people didn't get what I said earlier, I do 2 cardio days followed by a strength day and then I'll rest.

It has nothing to do with any ratios, and everything to do with protein intake, size of calorie deficit, and weight lifting program and consistency. Basically you need to have a moderate calorie deficit (no more than 20% below TDEE, 10% to 15% is ideal, and however much cardio you decide to do needs to be factored into this), you need to be consuming adequate protein (0.82g per lb of body weight), and you need to be implementing a weight lifting program that focuses on hypertrophy and incorporates progressive overload and lifting to failure in the desired rep range for your goals, in your case 8-12 reps to failure.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have lifted more in the beginning of losing weight. Start lifting more. You will thank me later.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It looks like a good idea then to up my protein and do more lifting. That seems to be the general consensus anyway. :smile:
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You diary says you are averaging 3k a day. So you are cutting at 3k calories? I am going to guess you dont have the muscle mass to cut with such high calories. Most shredding programs suggest increased cardio along with heavy weight training. Your protein intake has to be high. Guys with more muscle mass cut at lower calories. To each his own.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I work out 4 times a week.

Two of those sessions are devoted to my cardio.

The other two are full body weight sessions.

Maybe give that a go? I enjoy it anyway :]
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Cardio is a great assistance for weight loss as no weight lifting can come close to cardio in burnt calories. If your goal is lose weight, then you must be on a deficit. Gaining muscle on a deficit is practically impossible. But strength training will help you retain muscles while on a deficit. I think your current schedule is just perfect. Once you reach your weight goal and decide to gain some muscle - then switching cardio with strength training around would yield better result as you'll have more calories for that in your maintenance or even bulk budget.
  • Josh_lol
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »
    Cardio is a great assistance for weight loss as no weight lifting can come close to cardio in burnt calories. If your goal is lose weight, then you must be on a deficit. Gaining muscle on a deficit is practically impossible. But strength training will help you retain muscles while on a deficit. I think your current schedule is just perfect. Once you reach your weight goal and decide to gain some muscle - then switching cardio with strength training around would yield better result as you'll have more calories for that in your maintenance or even bulk budget.

Thanks dude :)
    I work out 4 times a week.

Two of those sessions are devoted to my cardio.

The other two are full body weight sessions.

Maybe give that a go? I enjoy it anyway :]

I might give it a try. I guess I kinda already do that except on weeks where I go more than 4 times. Then I'll just end up doing 2-4 cardio sessions and 1-2 strength sessions for that week or 8-day period.
  • Josh_lol
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    You diary says you are averaging 3k a day. So you are cutting at 3k calories? I am going to guess you dont have the muscle mass to cut with such high calories. Most shredding programs suggest increased cardio along with heavy weight training. Your protein intake has to be high. Guys with more muscle mass cut at lower calories. To each his own.

I'm on about a 7000 calorie a week deficit if I eat 3000 a day.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »

Lift heavy to retain and preserve LBM. No comparison to cardio.
    Cardio is simply a way to manipulate calorie expenditure, and is not necessarily needed.
    Your deficit can come strictly from diet.
    The goal is to lose fat and keep muscle, lift heavy and consume at least .8 grams per LBM.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    My goals are to lift heavy, full-body, three days a week. I run intervals 2 days a week and take a long walk 5-8 miles 2 days a week (I refer to the walking as "active rest").

Lifting makes running easier. When lifting, I don't maintain my HR at my max the way I do when I run intervals. One of my goals is to improve cardio vascular fitness. Along with building muscle. :smiley:

Running is also a different kind of stress relief where I can just get out of my head completely.

Really depends on your goals. Doing a little HIIT (15 mins) at the end of your lifting session could be really beneficial.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Reverse it. Do 2 strength days followed by 1 cardio. Strength days should be your priority.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Reverse it. Do 2 strength days followed by 1 cardio. Strength days should be your priority.

This is really random advice. Just two days in a row heavy lifting and one cardio? Why? What muscle groups are you working in two days? Upper and then lower, and each only once a week?

If you don't want to lift 4 days, lift 3. Full body, with a rest day in between each.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I think i'd go for full boy 3x a week resistance (every other day) and the rest cardio. Pretty much what ardita said.
    I have a balance of both as they both offer benefits and compliment each other.

You are doing fantastic at the moment.