Energy drink trap...help

Options
Well... I did it.. I fell into that stupid energy drink trap! I know better and yet here I sit ALMOST dependent on these stupid things for any kind of energy. I have sleep issues, more than a full time work schedule and I'm a single mom, my stress levels are so high I could probably supply a small country with cortisol and sometimes my only option is to workout late at night.

That's how I justified it... I'm drained from the stress, and the constant busy pace so I would drink the energy drink late at night, go workout, come home, take forever to wind down and finally go to bed around 3am only get about 3 hours of sleep. Then I would drink another energy drink in the morning to get going... before I knew it I was having at least one if not two or three a day. (I don't log these because I use the 0 calorie ones... which is even worse because of the artificial sweeteners..*sigh*)

So I stopped...but not completely.. I still use them on days when I am dragging which seem to be more and more (probably due to the energy drinks, lol) and it seems like I'm slipping back into the 2 or 3 a day habit. I remember what it felt like when I was more rigid with my diet and workouts and I miss having that energy (naturally, without the crappy stimulants)

I am an all or nothing when it comes to food and usually if I decide to stop eating something I have to quit cold turkey and just not allow it in the house and never have it again... I don't think that would be possible with this... I would need like a week off of motherhood and work so I can just sleep because I'm afraid that is all I will have the energy to do. I feel so lathargic all the time now...

I would love to hear from someone who has managed to successfully wean themselves off of the energy drinks or other stimulants (I seem to have a caffeine problem also) and how they did it.

Help...

Replies

• Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    *sigh*
  • whatsforsupper
    whatsforsupper Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You may want to look at some herbal remedies that will help. I take something called Relora for Stress. It's a natural product. You may also want to look at connecting with a Naturopath to support balancing out your hormones.

I know it's tougher to get a ND in the US so have a look at this book:

http://drnatashaturner.com/the-hormone-diet/
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what about coffee? has the same amount of caffine and very low in calories. drinking it black is an aquired taste, so you have to adjust to it.

that "all-or-nothing" attitude has to go. you need to learn to adjust slowly for sustainability.

i read somewhere that an apple has the same amount of energy that a can of soda has. since then i've substituted my 3pm coffee for an apple, and i feel great.

you don't talk about exercise. do you work out? i found that working out actually helps me focus and give me more energy. and yes, i have coffee before most work outs.