I need some advice

Options
I'm an elementary school teacher. I remember indicating in my diet profile that I'm "Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)". Does this automatically calculate the calories I burn by exercise into my daily summary OR can I add my daily movement as exercise in my daily exercise diary? I am moving all day around my classroom, up and down the hallways, and outside during recess duty. This could make a huge difference in the accuracy of my daily record keeping. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    The lightly active sounds right by what you are describing. So you wouldn't then log it again as exercise.

Exercise logging is for the things you do outside your normal day, like a 30 minute bike ride or mowing the lawn. Things you don't do daily.
  • ghoti_fish
    ghoti_fish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher and I've set mine up as lightly active. It fits my day to day activities but if I go to the gym or go swimming I add it as exercise but never eat back all of the calories.
    Just recently I bought a fitbit charge hr and no longer log any exercise apart from swimming as my fitbit tracks it for me (only the step based stuff -I dont worry about the weight lifting) and sometimes gives me extra calories if I've had an extra active day.
  • jcr382002
    jcr382002 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your comments! Looks like I've been doing this correctly. Good to know. I also plan on getting a fitbit soon.
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I bought a fitbit one year ago, and love it! Recently I've stopped wearing it religiously, but I have a good idea of my average steps now. Warning: they are slightly addicting!
  • ghoti_fish
    ghoti_fish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I bought a fitbit one year ago, and love it! Recently I've stopped wearing it religiously, but I have a good idea of my average steps now. Warning: they are slightly addicting!

I am obsessed with the graphs! I get really nerdy about them :D
  • TravelinGal7147
    TravelinGal7147 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that if using the fitbit it is best to set activity as sedentary and then let MFP adjust the calories. Does this make sense?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that if using the fitbit it is best to set activity as sedentary and then let MFP adjust the calories.

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, choosing an activity level is a matter of personal preference when you have a Fitbit. At lightly active, you start with more calories in the morning but get smaller adjustments. Either way, your adjusted goal is TDEE minus deficit.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users