? About BMR and TDEE and thyroid disease

Options
my doctor has always told me it is harder to lose weight because of thyroid disease I have. What are your thoughts on this ? Does this make my numbers different ? Like I monger need less cal than what my numbers say? Thanks

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    All the burns & calorie counts are estimates, so it takes trial & error to find the "sweet spot" where you're eating at a true deficit—no matter what your thyroid's like.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost the weight by following the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Once your numbers are in the normal range, you lose and gain like everyone else. if you are severely hypothyroid and not treated, then yes, weight loss is harder, but this is the least of your concerns.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    It was harder for me before the medication made my levels steady. It took a couple of years to find the right combination. It will be harder to lose weight if you're still figuring out the right dose.

Personally, I don't agree with the sites arb037 provided. I see them as advertisements for natural thyroid supplementation in the guise of helpful information. Natural thyroid supplements work very well for some people, they didn't work for me. What doctors shouldn't do is automatically negate them as an option.

Body chemistry is very individual. It's important you be your own advocate and track your numbers and levels (TSH, Free T3, Free T4) yourself to find out where in the normal range you feel your best. (Also make sure you know what the normal range is that your doctor is using.) It's not an issue of you have a number in the normal range and you're "cured." That's why there's a range. It's about quality of life and being symptom free as much as it is being medically "normal."

Hang in there, you will do it. I lost about 85 pounds and am in better shape at 44 than I was at 35 when I was diagnosed. :smiley: