Want to learn how to build lean defined muscle

Options
CutsandCurves
CutsandCurves Posts: 335 Member
5' 4"
130 #
Body fat 25%
Not currently lifting. Using boot camp and jogging to loos fat and strengthen muscle. Eating clean.

Replies

• CutsandCurves
    Options
    No but I'll have a look now thanks.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    first, what is lean muscle and how is that different than just muscle?
    second - if you want to gain muscle you need to eat in a caloric surplus, and get on a structured lifting program that has progressive overload built into it like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine. You can't gain muscle and not gain fat.

Oh, and clean eating has nothing to do with being lean or fat loss.
  • CutsandCurves
    Options
    Thank dear
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    At 25% body fat, it also would be suggested to not bulk. You would ideally like to be closer to 18 to 20%. What you can do is get a structured weight training program now and set yourself up to go into a bulk. And since you havent weight trained you will have a period where you will get musclar efficiencies (6 to 12 months).

Now you can start with a program like new rules of lifting for woman, strong lift or strong curves.

As for njds comment, muscle is muscle.. industry uses fluffy words like lean muscle to make people think that a specific type of training will yield a specific result (e.i yoga gives you long lean muscle). Unfortunately, its bs and your muscle is an outcome of genetics (shape, length, etc) and how you look is a result of body composition (lean body mass vs fat mass) and genetics (tall people have longer muscles).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    "Lean defined muscle" is a catch term to try to sell a program or product. As been mentioned, skeletal muscle is skeletal muscle (I'm only saying this in case some one asks "what about smooth muscle?").
    Good programs mentioned above. Just make sure you nail down the form.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CutsandCurves
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'm encouraged. Looks like I could use a good experienced trainer. No such thing within 100 miles from here. I get busy doing my home work. Any good places to start.
  • CutsandCurves
    Options

thinlizzie wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'm encouraged. Looks like I could use a good experienced trainer. No such thing within 100 miles from here. I get busy doing my home work. Any good places to s :p tart.

• CutsandCurves
    Options
    :)

• wannabf1t
    wannabf1t Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack the thread but @psulemon why do you not suggest bulking at 25%? Too much fat? I'm curious as I'm probably around there and recently started to increase cals and possibly going on a bulk. Thanks.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    wannabf1t wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but @psulemon why do you not suggest bulking at 25%? Too much fat? I'm curious as I'm probably around there and recently started to increase cals and possibly going on a bulk. Thanks.

because as that level of body fat most of your gains will be fat and not muscle...

• psuLemon
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

because as that level of body fat most of your gains will be fat and not muscle...

This.
  • wannabf1t
    wannabf1t Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

This.

Thank you both. I will rethink my strategy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

you'er going to be way meatier than you want to be at that weight- I bulked awfully high- I'm 5'8" and did my first bulk when i was in the 20's body fat- I was admittedly a little meaty- but I was greedy for strength gains- so I took the results- put on 20 pounds and had to fight REALLY hard to get back down to where I was. I did put on muscle- I'm now the same leanness- but not a size smaller- i was fitting into 6's before my bulk- now I'm still working on 8"s- but I'm about as lean as I was when I started- so it worked- but it was a fight.

it's much better to bulk when you're leaner- returning to that lean state is MUCH MUCH easier.
  • CutsandCurves
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. In working on boot camp and loosing weight. Then bulk but limit my micros so I won't bulk heavy.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    you are a bit low in Body Fat for a woman.

25% isn't very low for a female.

• ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You can't gain muscle and not gain fat.
    So wrong.

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    So wrong.

They come hand in hand...

• psuLemon
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    So wrong.

yes, you really are. But feel free to post some studies that show only muscle gains with NO fat gains.