'Free meals'

Options
2»

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Whatever semantics are used, the one undeniable fact is that you must create a sustained negative energy balance (calorie deficit).

Do this however you see fit.

This app gives you the tools needed to visualize your energy balance.

It couldn't really be any simpler.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    For me the answer to that question is no. As far as I am concerned you are either all in or you are not yet serious enough to be ready to lose weight. "No cheat days", no binges, no crazy overly restrictive goals, no bad foods, no "eating clean", no low carb or high protein. Just CICO. 24/7/365 until forever.

No whining or complaining, no making excuses and no blaming other people for your own failures.

Just do it.

So, if someone wants to take a day off once in a while, they're not serious about losing weight and should just continue to stuff their face all day every day and keep gaining until they ARE serious enough?

Did you notice the first two words in my post? FOR ME.
    This is what I require of myself. What other people chose to do or not do is their problem. However sharing personal choices can often give people ideas on what to do with their own. Your reaction to my post about MY choices might be something you should take a closer look at.

Then why did you use "you" and "your" when you should have used "me" and "my" since you were talking only about yourself? You were taking your ideologies and putting them onto other people.

OP, if you want a cheat day or free meal or whatever you call it, go for it.
  • phillytoast
    phillytoast Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    OP... have you read the stickies? Because I think you haven't... do you understand how CICO works?

If you stay in a caloric deficit... you will lose weight.

If you want to have a day where you don't bother counting calories, then do it if you want to.

These are all questions which could have been answered by stickies

Seems pretty patronizing..it's totally fine for someone to ask a question that's been answered many many times...the point of forums is to have an actual conversation, not read something written 4 years ago.

OP, I'd say have a night a week, or month or whatever that you don't care much about calories..but still try to log it. In my experience, even on "cheat" meals, when I log, that helps deter me from just going completely overboard.

Thank you ! Makes me feel better instead of feeling stupid !
  • phillytoast
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    OP... have you read the stickies? Because I think you haven't... do you understand how CICO works?

If you want to have a day where you don't bother counting calories, then do it if you want to.

These are all questions which could have been answered by reading the stickies...

Maybe she didn't realize there were...stickies.

Thanks but I'm a guy haha
  • phillytoast
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    For me the answer to that question is no. As far as I am concerned you are either all in or you are not yet serious enough to be ready to lose weight. "No cheat days", no binges, no crazy overly restrictive goals, no bad foods, no "eating clean", no low carb or high protein. Just CICO. 24/7/365 until forever.

No whining or complaining, no making excuses and no blaming other people for your own failures.

Just do it.

So, if someone wants to take a day off once in a while, they're not serious about losing weight and should just continue to stuff their face all day every day and keep gaining until they ARE serious enough?

Did you notice the first two words in my post? FOR ME.
    This is what I require of myself. What other people chose to do or not do is their problem. However sharing personal choices can often give people ideas on what to do with their own. Your reaction to my post about MY choices might be something you should take a closer look at.

Then why did you use "you" and "your" when you should have used "me" and "my" since you were talking only about yourself? You were taking your ideologies and putting them onto other people.

OP, if you want a cheat day or free meal or whatever you call it, go for it.

Maybe because they were explaining it on a forum in answer to a question! The open for of you and your are applicable. Grumpy !
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Maybe because they were explaining it on a forum in answer to a question! The open for of you and your are applicable. Grumpy !

I am glad you at least understood what I was trying to get at. Thank you. :)

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I hate it when someone reads a stickie, responds to it, and makes it look like a new thread. I don't see a problem with asking a question that was answered four years ago - new people join every day.
  • phillytoast
    Options
    I hate it when someone reads a stickie, responds to it, and makes it look like a new thread. I don't see a problem with asking a question that was answered four years ago - new people join every day.

Thank you
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

These are all questions which could have been answered by reading the stickies...

Maybe she didn't realize there were...stickies.

Thanks but I'm a guy haha

Sorry... :| ...I didn't pay attention.

• michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    LOL -- yeah, there are stickies, but I think sometimes a poster wants some real-time feedback on what people have experienced. I dunno; this isn't really so much a stickie thing to me.
    Here's where I kind of ended up on this, after many months of logging. I've fallen off and I'm getting back on, so this is as good for a reminder for me as it is potentially instructive to anyone else.
    I didn't have pre-scheduled non-tracked blow outs. I think those are tricky for a lot of people psychologically. But I did two different things.
    First, on weekends I tended either to do very long workouts (2-3 hours cycling, for example), or to have several hours of hard outdoor work (which adds up) and so I had enough calories that I could have a meal where I could pretty much have whatever I want and stay under. And I tracked it. And yes, I know a lot of people don't track non "workout" calories -- and I typically do not -- but I can tell you this; on the weeks where I had big landscape projects outside, I always lost more.
    Second, on some occasions (holidays, special parties or dinners), I just went with it, didn't go overboard for the sake of going overboard, and just got back on track the next day. My first time around I didn't have birthday cake on my own birthday. Experience taught me that this is a long game kinda thing, and that was just not necessary.
    I really believe that the "secret" is figuring out that it's not about not getting off the rails; you will. It's about what you do when that happens. And that's why I think people ask about cheating, refeeds, "I ate a whole pizza and WTH do I do now"....because figuring out what makes YOUR brain get back on the rails is what makes it work.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal about once a month. Yesterday was the most awesome chicken burger ever. I made them for lunch with the kids.
    Some people have cheat meals, some have cheat days, some are anal about being super strict with themselves 24/7.
    That's the really cool thing about MFP. It's kinda all about what works for you. Or me. Or that guy. Everyone's "thing" is a bit different
    Good luck op!!!!
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days or meals but sometimes I go over and that's ok, I log it and move on. Whatever you do, I would log everything no matter how ugly it gets ;)