How do you know if your BMR has increased?

Options
Hi all,

I've been exercising 5-6 times a week since the start of the year and have lost a total of 23lbs. I probably only half another half stone to lose. I was counting calories at first but I haven't logged since the start of July when I went on holiday.

What I don't understand is that at the minute I'm losing a pound a week without watching what I eat at all. I wonder if my BMR has gone up since I'm fitter and so I'm burning more calories? I've also recently started running so I'm mixing my exercise routine up.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not complaining, I'm just confused about how I can still lose whilst eating what I like!

Replies

• ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Losing weight isn't about eating stuff you don't want to eat, it's about eating less calories than you burn. If you're losing weight, you're in a deficit.
  • michellepearson224
    Options
    Yeah I do know that, just wondered how come I seem to be able to eat much more these days and still lose.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is more likely to have gone down since you lost weight, but what matters is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and exercise adds to that. I find that if I exercise regularly and am otherwise active I can pretty easily eat at maintenance without thinking about it.