Protein supplement

2»

Replies

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Most kids don't really need protein powder. Usually, they get enough protein from their food. If you want weight gain, adding a little extra butter or oil into your cooking when you're preparing a meal for him should do the trick. You coud also always add a tablespoon or two of cream into his milk. Cook his oats in a mixture of 1/2 cream 1/2 milk. Most kids love creamy things.

If you insist on a powder, though, I would reccomend the Organic Plant Protein from Garden of Life. It's smooth, yummy, and has a clean ingredients list. They use stevia to sweeten, so there's no added sugar. There's also a probiotic and enzyme blend to help promote digestion. Smooth Vanilla is the best flavor out of all of them.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Also I've heard countless times that eating anything after 7pm is counter productive, is this true?

No it is not true but you should make your own thread instead of hijacking this one.
  • c613477
    c613477 Posts: 296 Member
    Most kids don't really need protein powder. Usually, they get enough protein from their food. If you want weight gain, adding a little extra butter or oil into your cooking when you're preparing a meal for him should do the trick. You coud also always add a tablespoon or two of cream into his milk. Cook his oats in a mixture of 1/2 cream 1/2 milk. Most kids love creamy things.

If you insist on a powder, though, I would reccomend the Organic Plant Protein from Garden of Life. It's smooth, yummy, and has a clean ingredients list. They use stevia to sweeten, so there's no added sugar. There's also a probiotic and enzyme blend to help promote digestion. Smooth Vanilla is the best flavor out of all of them.

Great ideas here thank you! Adding cream to his milk is sth I never thought to do. Thank you!
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member

"Most people" dont get enough protein from food let alone kids.
    Nothing wrong with giving him a shake.
    You want to put "good" weight on him, key word is good meaning ideally muscle mass not fat.
    Butter, oil, creams etc is mostly all fat.
    1 gram of fat = 9 calories
    1 gram of protein/ carbs = 4 calories

If you are going to err on calories or adding in, add protein. Its less likely to convert to glucose, whereas dietary fat does not have to be converted to be stored.

From my post earlier on blended protein, a really good tasting brand is Trutein.
    Its 40% whey 40% casein and 20% egg protein, many flavors and tastes fantastic which is always a roll of the dice