Food scale is inaccurate?

Options
Hey everyone! So I have this scale (from the weight watchers brand) which I have used for a long time. When I do use it, the weight does shed off. I never had a problem with it before but I started having my suspicions that it's not accurate at all. Over the summer I haven't been dieting and of course gained some weight back.

But anways, today I tested the scale by placing an object right at the center of the scale and it read 25g. Then I placed it at the very bottom of the scale (close to me) and it read 40g. I placed it all the way at the top of the scale and it read -15g (yes, negative). Obviously that's concerning and I even replaced the batteries.

Does anyone else every have a worry about your scales being inaccurate sometimes (like not even changing grams when you add more food to the scale.. which happens to me) or is my scale totally whack and I should order a new one?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'd probably buy a new one.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If it's digital I would suggest changing the batteries first. - I skipped that in the OP that you already did that.

You may want to buy a new one.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'd probably buy a new one.

This. :)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Make sure the feet on the underside of it are completely clean - if it's off-balance, that could give inaccurate readings.

If it's clean and has fresh batteries, time for a new one :)

~Lyssa
  • Reesesayspeaces
    Options
    Hey everyone! So I have this scale (from the weight watchers brand) which I have used for a long time. When I do use it, the weight does shed off. I never had a problem with it before but I started having my suspicions that it's not accurate at all. Over the summer I haven't been dieting and of course gained some weight back.

But anways, today I tested the scale by placing an object right at the center of the scale and it read 25g. Then I placed it at the very bottom of the scale (close to me) and it read 40g. I placed it all the way at the top of the scale and it read -15g (yes, negative). Obviously that's concerning and I even replaced the batteries.

Does anyone else every have a worry about your scales being inaccurate sometimes (like not even changing grams when you add more food to the scale.. which happens to me) or is my scale totally whack and I should order a new one?

It sounds to me that your tare was -15g so when you put a 40g object on it, it registered at 25g (40-15=25). You may have zeroed it after and it was back at 40g.
  • sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options

It sounds to me that your tare was -15g so when you put a 40g object on it, it registered at 25g (40-15=25). You may have zeroed it after and it was back at 40g.

I wish that just was the case... but no I properly zero'ed it before I placed the object to test it. I've been using this scale for about 3 years now so I guess it's just time to get a new one anyways. I bought a new scale yesterday... it looks better than my old one anyways! :)