New In MN

Options
I just joined this site after a friend suggested it for me when I told him I was fat and needed to lose weight. I am at 260lbs and really want to get motivated to lose at least 80 lbs. I know this wont happen over night which is why I need help to stay motivated. This site seems like a good place to make friends that can motivate me and help out.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hello Momster_2006! Great first step. Big claps and cheers all round. Welcome!

You mention "motivation" a lot in your post. You might find this link interesting - it is about habit-forming. It basically concludes that the average person needs to do something for 66 days, every day, before it becomes a habit - and after that, it is much easier. A true "habit" needs far less willpower to carry out, so it is worth making something a habit if you can:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-clear/forming-new-habits_b_5104807.html

That might not be very encouraging news....66 days is quite a long time. HOWEVER, as you rightly say, your weight loss is likely to take a lot longer than that (as is most people's on here) - SO, break it down....focus on these first 66 days and fight to achieve the habits you need to keep you on the right track. This habit might simply be to log everything you eat on MFP every day. You'd be surprised the difference it makes to your food choices just by noting it down.

Good luck!
  • Momster_2006
    Momster_2006 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize how much motivation I thought I needed until I re read my post.. yeah its in there a lot!!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP ....wishing you much success ....You are welcome to add me ...I love to be a cheerleader to anyone on this journey :)