Do you get support from your family?

Options
2»

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I do not get support like that from my family. I mostly have to fight with my husband so I can go for a walk bc he refuses to go with me. I have to argue for why I need foods I need. Thid has been a struggle for me! But I have to do it myself I would love to talk to him about it but he really doesn't care or notice my looks like hey that out fit you bought me doesn't fit me anymore (bc its falls off me) oh well tough I had to just get thick skin and say f this this is about me. Selfish? Yep I am bc who else is going to care about me if I don't? And yes I've been called selfish for wanting a walk and exercise and wanting healthy food.

so for a bit it really was transformative as he started to lose weight too but then went back to chips n soda. But as far as meals yep I cook 3 to four different meals every meal time so if she doesn't want to cook it then you can.

Funny you mention selfish as that is what my wife called me today because I prioritised gym over unnecessary house chores. I made a healthy meal for all which was rejected and she ended up making scrambled eggs and complained I was selfish cooking just for me.

After reading your reply - I don't care anymore. I have to look after my health first before I end up another statistic who died from obesity
    What was the healthy meal?
    Also good for you for taking care of your health!
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My family members all have different standards compared to mine since day one I started (more than a decade ago). I guess I'm only lucky that my brother is a PT and he understands the theories & techniques behind those moves and I can discuss the topics with him. Other than that, I still cannot share my success with him since his standards are, of course, way higher than mine (professional level, I guess). I tried to drag my sister into this, hoping that she can have a better lifestyle & workout habit. Unfortunately that didn't work too well (laziness won...).

None of my friends have the fitness standards and goals as the same level as mine neither, not even my boyfriend. So now I'm just happy that they come to me for advice if they need one (& I secretly imaging that they'll think me as their life-savor one day, lol) and I celebrate my victory with myself (in new clothes...) :smile:

Btw, I think this is the reason why MFP is addictive for me... because I find likeminded people here!
  • jtwakes
    jtwakes Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm not supported to much either by my family but it's okay, I just do it anyway:)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I have to say my partner is very supportive. We've been together 30 years, and he has seen me lose and gain 30-50 lbs at least 7 times over that time. He's never played "food cop" when I've gained, but he's always been thoughtful and supportive when I've tried to lose. He loves to cook--and largely cooks very healthy. He also weighs and measures his recipes so I can log them. He's a prince!
  • LULU4178
    LULU4178 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You have my permission to be selfish about your heath!

My husband keeps asking "Are you done losing weight yet? You don't need to lose any more." This is not helpful. I have 9 pounds left before reaching my goal weight and they are the hardest ones. The first 41 were easy! I keep telling him that, but he keeps asking. I just do what I need to and listen to myself instead of him. You can do it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're dealing with that! My husband is happy because I cook much more now... and it's pretty tasty!

Stick to your guns and don't give up. Tell her to make herself some food if she doesn't like what you're making.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    For the most part, yes.